Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Vintage video: Sunderland v Brighton 1980/81 (19 mins) - the great escape!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
With Sunderland in the news, it is with great pleasure to release this video into the wild, one I obtained from He Shot He Scored...

Any NSCers make it up to Roker Park that day?

For more retro Albion footage please visit www.seagulls.tv....

rocker959

Jan 22, 2011
Plovdiv Bulgaria
I was there , went up on the train on my own as a lot of people felt we were doomed , I however had the faith , train return price on football special ticket £ 14 return on normal train , brilliant day and proud to have been there.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
I was there too, not many of us to cheer on the Albion though, we were driven to Roker Park in a police van after arriving at Seaburn station.

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
Great video, first time I have seen those goals for many years and yet I remembered every bit of the build up to Williams goal. Couldn't make the game back then but that day, and the following week against Leeds were great days as an Albion fan.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Thanks for this, I was a bit too young to remember clearly and was probably still 60:40 Liverpool-Albion supporting.

Some observations for OLDER fans :)
1. Player had to be told to thank travelling fans at the end of the game (even Garry Williams, hero of the hour had to be told as did several others by Mullers on the pitch if observe carefully)
2. Fans also left early in them days (the terrace behind the south goal thinned before we snatched the late late winner
3. Might have been a more successful team but Christ it was hoof hoof football and I'd watch a Poyet side any day (as Sunderland fans will shortly find out ironically!)

Observations for younger fans
4. Andy Ritchie...now that was a proper tackle and NO yellow card shown / men were men back then! ;)

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill
Was great to watch.

Yes that Ritchie tackle, certainly a yellow today and could see even see red.

Plenty of good players in our team them, could do with a few of them just now to be honest. We underachieved perhaps.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Thanks for posting the video...was great to watch a match from arguably our most successful period which incidentally I missed due to working in Saudi Arabia.

My mother posted the Argus to me with all the match reports and interesting articles..my main source of keeping in touch in those days.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Silly Shaun Elliott. Should have been wearing shinpads!

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Never seen that before; thanks!

Two things:-

1) couldn't see what was wrong with that Gregory goal just before half time. Didn't look offside to me.
2) Brighton lucky to finish with 11 after that Ritchie tackle in 2nd half!

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Great to see that again, thanks!

Remember listening to the radio commentary in my bedroom and going utterly, utterly mental when Williams got the winner.

PG

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Never seen that before; thanks!

Two things:-

1) couldn't see what was wrong with that Gregory goal just before half time. Didn't look offside to me.
2) Brighton lucky to finish with 11 after that Ritchie tackle in 2nd half!

It was probably thought that Gregory was in an offside position.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I've never seen those goals before - it was like watching it anew. i was punching the air when Williams scored!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here