Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Free BT sport

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
BT sport free in October.

BT Sport is making its magazine and live sport programming available to anyone with Freeview, BT TV, Sky or Virgin TV during October.

Viewers will be able to watch BT Sport’s entertainment and chat shows and live sport on BT TV, Freeview channel 57 during the weeks of 7th and 14th October. The channel will be on air from 7pm Monday to Friday during those weeks. It will give
viewers a chance to catch sports entertainment shows The Clare Balding Show and Baker and Kelly’s VSPO. Viewers will also be able to catch up on the latest from the worlds of UFC, rugby and football with discussion programmes, Beyond the Octagon, Rugby Tonight and Life’s a Pitch.

BT Sport will also be showing live sporting action on the channel during these two weeks
including the FIFA World Cup 2014 Qualifier between Spain and Belarus, the UEFA U21 Qualifier between England and Lithuania, the Skrill Premier match between Macclesfield Town and Southport and Bundesliga action between 1899 Hoffenheim and Bayer Leverkusen.

To round off ‘Open October’ BT Sport will also be making BT Sport 1, BT Sport 2 and ESPN open during the weekend of the 26th - 27th October. The BT Sport weekend runs from 6pm Friday to 6am Monday and any Freeview, Sky or Virgin viewer will be able watch live rugby from the Aviva Premiership, including Bath v Gloucester, Northampton v Saracens and Wasps v Leicester. The weekend will also see Crystal Palace take on Arsenal in the Barclays Premier League.

Simon Green, Head of BT Sport, said: “We want to give even more viewers the chance to see the new programmes and live sporting action happening on BT Sport during October. Making the channels open to all allows us to show how we are offering something for everyone, from sports entertainment shows through to exclusive live sporting action.”

BT Sport is showing 38 exclusively live football matches from the Barclays

Premier League, including 18 of the “top picks”. The channels are also showing live FA Cup with Budweiser action, UEFA Europa League matches, top tier live football from Germany, Italy, France and Scotland - with a further 10 Rangers matches - and the FA Women’s Super League. There are also 30 exclusively live football Conference matches from the Skrill Premier including the play offs and the Promotion final at Wembley.

The channels also feature WTA women’s tennis, action from the UFC, and Moto GP from

BT Sport is free with BT Broadband. TV customers require a set top box: for BT TV customers this can be a YouView box with BT Infinity or Vision+ box, for Sky TV customers this is via Sky’s digital satellite platform. Customers taking BT Sport via Sky’s digital satellite platform can access the channels with just one call to BT. TV customers who receive the channels via BT TV with BT Infinity or on the Sky digital satellite platform have the option of receiving the channels in HD for just £3 a month. Virgin Media XL TV customers can access BT Sport as part of their packages; Virgin Media also offers the channels as a standalone premium service to TV customers who do not take the XL pack. This means around three million households cam already watch BT Sport on TV.

Customers without BT Broadband can also receive the channels through the Sky Digital Satellite platform for £15 per month in high definition or £12 in standard definition. There is no requirement for customers to take a Sky TV subscription as BT Sport is retailed by BT.

For more information or to order BT Sport, customers should call 0800 400 440 or visit: www.btsport.com.

Follow @BTSport on Twitter for the latest news and for exclusive behind-the-scenes access and competitions, see BT Sport on Facebook

Notes to editors
• In the weeks commencing October 7th and 14th viewers will be able to see BT Sport on Freeview channel 57 Monday through to Friday from 7pm each evening.
• On October 25th – 28th any Sky, Virgin, and Freeview customers will be able watch BT Sport for free from Friday 6pm – Monday 6am. Freeview customers will be able to watch BT Sport 1 only on channel 57.

http://www.btplc.com/News/Articles/ShowArticle.cfm?ArticleID=F3163139-DFA6-4F27-949C-245A7E801F03

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Hmmm. I wonder if they're getting a bit concerned already. Considering all the hype, they don't really seem to have had much impact at all on the wider public so far. That was to be expected and possibly acceptable for the likes of ESPN but you'd imagine BT shareholders would hope for a little bit more interest with the company coughing up a staggering £6.5 million pounds per match (and that's just for the right to show it, let alone the actual cost of the coverage).

damo1971

Jun 21, 2011
I dont think they will be too concerned, Rugby viewing figures are up over 100% on last season. As for English football, they are never going to topple sky in the first season. They have a good selection of foreign matches though.

Last edited:

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
I find that matches on BT sports can be over hyped. They seem so impressed.
I dislike sky's monopoly but they have the best pundits, commentary etc. Unfortunately they have had years of practice in this raquet.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I dont think they will be too concerned, Rugby viewing figures are up over 100% on last season. As for English football, they are never going to topple sky in the first season. They have a good selection of foreign matches though.

I'd be concerned. Rugby match audiences aren't going to justify running a sports channel & the figures for their football are well down. Remember, they're paying 3x more per game than ESPN. Foreign games are getting around 30000 viewers & some of the much heralded magazine shows pulling less than 2000 people. These aren't cheap programmes to make. BT can afford it but some serious questions might be asked by the shareholders if their broadband sales don't rocket, no matter how bullish the bosses are.

"Figures from Barb, the independent monitor of television audiences, show that the first six Premier League matches on BT Sport have attracted an average of 570,000 viewers. That compares with 633,000 on ESPN last year and 669,000 in the previous season, even though it charged for access while BT bundles its channels with broadband subscriptions."

damo1971

Jun 21, 2011
I'd be concerned. Rugby match audiences aren't going to justify running a sports channel & the figures for their football are well down. Remember, they're paying 3x more per game than ESPN. Foreign games are getting around 30000 viewers & some of the much heralded magazine shows pulling less than 2000 people. These aren't cheap programmes to make. BT can afford it but some serious questions might be asked by the shareholders if their broadband sales don't rocket, no matter how bullish the bosses are.

"Figures from Barb, the independent monitor of television audiences, show that the first six Premier League matches on BT Sport have attracted an average of 570,000 viewers. That compares with 633,000 on ESPN last year and 669,000 in the previous season, even though it charged for access while BT bundles its channels with broadband subscriptions."

It is difficult comparing it with ESPNs games as they were always on Saturday evenings, I am sure that if you look at BARB you will find tv audiences are always bigger for programmes in the evening than on Saturday early afternoons.

Last edited:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
This weekend then. Anyone know what channel this will be, on Virgin?

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Bt sport is sold as anybody that has bt broadband will get bt sport for free but in fact to get bt sport you have to enter into a new 12 month contract with bt.so in fact bt sport is just the same as any other pay to watch tv channel

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Bt sport is sold as anybody that has bt broadband will get bt sport for free but in fact to get bt sport you have to enter into a new 12 month contract with bt.so in fact bt sport is just the same as any other pay to watch tv channel

Not true. I refused to enter into a new contract and I get it.

Horsham Gull

H Block Offender
Dec 4, 2006
Horsham
Will I be able to watch Palace v Arsenal on Saturday then on Sky ( I don't have BT sport)

To round off ‘Open October’ BT Sport will also be making BT Sport 1, BT Sport 2 and ESPN open during the weekend of the 26th - 27th October. The BT Sport weekend runs from 6pm Friday to 6am Monday and any Freeview, Sky or Virgin viewer will be able watch live rugby from the Aviva Premiership, including Bath v Gloucester, Northampton v Saracens and Wasps v Leicester. The weekend will also see Crystal Palace take on Arsenal in the Barclays Premier League.

Not true. I refused to enter into a new contract and I get it.

Same here.

Not to be too alarmist, but worth double checking with BT. I signed up for BT Sport a couple of months ago over the phone, not a mention of a new contract (although I knew I was supposed to have one to get BT Sport), then sure enough when I rang up to renew my contract last month they'd already signed me up to a new 12 month contract at full price! I ended up spending an age on the phone to them until they sorted it out, cancelled the contract and set me up with a new (discounted) one.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here