Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Norman Baker

Sussex on Leith

Sep 11, 2003
Leith
Promoted to Home Office minister in today's Government reshuffles.

In case you needed any further reason to vote the current coalition out in 2015.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Promoted to Home Office minister in today's Government reshuffles.

In case you needed any further reason to vote the current coalition out in 2015.
It shame I surport his view on reopenning the Lewes Uckfield line would be great for the Albion but that's about all!!

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/d...-is-new-home-office-minister-this-is-bonkers/

Conspiracy theorist Norman Baker is new Home Office minister. This is bonkers

By Dan Hodges Politics Last updated: October 7th, 2013

One thing that’s been overlooked a little is that this isn’t just reshuffle day for David Cameron and Ed Miliband, but also for Nick Clegg. And he’s just made an bizarre appointment.

Jeremy Browne – a very nice and able Minister – has been sacked and replaced at the Home Office by Norman Baker. Norman Baker may also be a very nice man. But he’s also a conspiracy theorist. Literally.

In 2007 he wrote The Strange Death of Dr David Kelly, in which he asserts that the former MOD weapons inspector was murdered.

In his book he examines the possibility that US and British agents murdered Kelly, before coming to the conclusion it was probably done by an Iraqi hit team, then covered up by the government.

I’ve never read Baker’s book, and can’t comment on the veracity of his claims. Except to say they’re clearly bonkers.

How is it possible that a man who believes the British security services were either directly involved in murdering – or covering up the murder of – David Kelly now be a Minister at the Home Office with the sensitive security responsibilities that entails? Come to that, if Baker thinks mysterious hit squads and cover-up teams are on the loose, how is he going to feel working late at night in the bowels of the Home Office?

It’s a ludicrous appointment. What does Nick Clegg think he's doing?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Presumably this is a more senior position so he'll be able to charge himself a higher rent on his constituency office!!!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/d...-is-new-home-office-minister-this-is-bonkers/

Conspiracy theorist Norman Baker is new Home Office minister. This is bonkers

By Dan Hodges Politics Last updated: October 7th, 2013

One thing that’s been overlooked a little is that this isn’t just reshuffle day for David Cameron and Ed Miliband, but also for Nick Clegg. And he’s just made an bizarre appointment.

Jeremy Browne – a very nice and able Minister – has been sacked and replaced at the Home Office by Norman Baker. Norman Baker may also be a very nice man. But he’s also a conspiracy theorist. Literally.

In 2007 he wrote The Strange Death of Dr David Kelly, in which he asserts that the former MOD weapons inspector was murdered.

In his book he examines the possibility that US and British agents murdered Kelly, before coming to the conclusion it was probably done by an Iraqi hit team, then covered up by the government.

I’ve never read Baker’s book, and can’t comment on the veracity of his claims. Except to say they’re clearly bonkers.

How is it possible that a man who believes the British security services were either directly involved in murdering – or covering up the murder of – David Kelly now be a Minister at the Home Office with the sensitive security responsibilities that entails? Come to that, if Baker thinks mysterious hit squads and cover-up teams are on the loose, how is he going to feel working late at night in the bowels of the Home Office?

It’s a ludicrous appointment. What does Nick Clegg think he's doing?

I'm assuming that Norman Baker now has unfettered access to top secret papers concerning what really happened ?

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I get the impression that Baker is one of the more diligent MPs at Westminster. I also admire his championing of public transport but am not so keen on his anti-roads stance as they are a very necessary evil for many punters, including across his own constituency where I lived and worked for many years. Knowing his attitude I found it quite amusing to see him as a transport minister having to say positive things about the upgrading of the A11 up here.

My personal experience of discussing local issues with him from both my professional and private capacity when he was my MP is that he is willing to ignore the views of significant numbers of his constituents, not just over The Amex but also on various local issues around Lewes / Newhaven. He is willing to be very intransigent despite evidence that his position is flawed and unpopular.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I'm assuming that Norman Baker now has unfettered access to top secret papers concerning what really happened ?

what i thought. shirley he can put the matter to bed now, put up or shut up?

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Still the best MP that Lewes has ever had though.

Goldstone76

Jun 13, 2013
Princess Di was bumped off to. Kelly was bumped off if you care to do your research.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Never forgive him for his outright opposition to the Amex being built...

Me neither. Call me a narrow-minded, spiteful, petty vindictive, miserable, bitter old sod with a warped sense of values if you like but I hate the ****. Always will. I want to set fire to him and then put it out with a cricket bat. And De Vecchi, that Forfars crone and the addled old Page Three pagan.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Odious toad

Screaming J

He'll put a spell on you
Jul 13, 2004
Exiled from the South Country
Me neither. Call me a narrow-minded, spiteful, petty vindictive, miserable, bitter old sod with a warped sense of values if you like but I hate the ****. Always will. I want to set fire to him and then put it out with a cricket bat. And De Vecchi, that Forfars crone and the addled old Page Three pagan.

Two minds as one! What's the betting that when we want to sign Carlos Kickaball, the exciting Ecuadorian striker (or whoever else from outside the EU) our Norm will be the one who refuses him a visa, just for old times sake!

unklbrian

Feb 4, 2012
Still the best MP that Lewes has ever had though.

from memory the contribution from his predecesor during the campaign that finally saw the Tories booted out of Lewes was ......... " I know I'm going to be re-elected becuase i have appiontments after the election" - or very close to that ! ..

Baker may be an Ass but he's a better one than his competition ??? ...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here