Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hinkley United wound up in court.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
So what, you may ask? Just another non league club gone bust?

Hinkley was managed by former Albion Legend Stuart Storer and was the club where he finished his playing career in 2001.

Sad news for the fans. Seems rather spiteful that a former chairman can shut down a club and cause misery to the supporters for what in corporate terms, is quite a small sum. Will he realistically get that sum back by his action?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24429186

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Sad news .. I'd literally just read that myself, and came on here to post it.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts

Hinkley was managed by former Albion Legend Stuart Storer and was the club where he finished his playing career in 2001.

Sad news for the fans. Seems rather spiteful that a former chairman can shut down a club and cause misery to the supporters for what in corporate terms, is quite a small sum. Will he realistically get that sum back by his action?

Key clause missing from your analysis of the former Chairman's actions is "....as trustee of a pension fund." That totally changes the picture. A pension Trustee id obliged by law to protect the interests of the pension fund. He would have had to take legal advice and if he had decided to ignore the advice given would have become personally liable for the liabilities incurred by the fund. Blame Bob Maxwell.

A real shame for Hinkley and Storer though, nonetheless.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Key clause missing from your analysis of the former Chairman's actions is "....as trustee of a pension fund." That totally changes the picture. A pension Trustee id obliged by law to protect the interests of the pension fund. He would have had to take legal advice and if he had decided to ignore the advice given would have become personally liable for the liabilities incurred by the fund. Blame Bob Maxwell.

A real shame for Hinkley and Storer though, nonetheless.

A very fair and valid point.

Without knowing the full story, I'd be very concerned if a trustee of my pension fund had decided to invest or use some of the pension pot as guarantor in a non league football club. :eek:

I'd like to think that wasn't what the chairman was up to?!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

I think that should read STTTOOOOOOORRRRREEEEERRRR

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's the stuff of nightmares! :eek:

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Hinckley were live on the BBC a few years ago in the second round of the FA Cup against Brentford and nearly beat them (it finished 0-0 before the Bees won the replay). It looked a nice, old-fashioned ground with a full capacity - that's what the FA Cup is all about.

Hope they reform and come back stronger.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
A good friends Dad played for them for years, they even played QPR in a cup run. Very sad, especially the ridiculous money being offered to the premiership clubs.

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
From the article:

'Former Bolton Wanderers and Brighton defender Stuart Storer, who first played for the club in 2001 and later worked as first-team coach, was named Hinckley manager in May following Carl Heggs's departure.'

Defender?

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
Oh really? You know a lot about Hinkley do you? I would suggest to post such a reply without any knowledge of the subject is stupid!

I have a very good knowledge of non-league football and wouldn't wish any club to die (even Looton Town, who have their fair share of morons).

If you've got a grudge against the club for sacking you or getting punched by a fan in the past, so be it, but being glad that supporters have lost their club? That's low.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I have a very good knowledge of non-league football and wouldn't wish any club to die (even Looton Town, who have their fair share of morons).

If you've got a grudge against the club for sacking you or getting punched by a fan in the past, so be it, but being glad that supporters have lost their club? That's low.

So you know **** all about them then? Well, I have detailed experience of Hinkley Town, and their youth teams in particular which I posted about having had the misfortune to have had two sons play against them for a number of seasons.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Oh really? You know a lot about Hinkley do you? I would suggest to post such a reply without any knowledge of the subject is stupid!
I know nothing about Hinkley. What is/was the problem with them?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here