Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any TV engineers or repairmen who can answer this question

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
My HDTV yesterday went wrong, when you turn it on the picture is perfect but 3 seconds later the screen goes black but the sound still works.
This happens every time I turn it on.
Is it terminal or is it a simple repair ?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I have a similar problem quite often and have to turn he set off at the set not the remote and then on again and all is well. It does get annoying though if in the middle of a drama or film.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I have a similar problem quite often and have to turn he set off at the set not the remote and then on again and all is well. It does get annoying though if in the middle of a drama or film.

Does your telly turn itself off then for no apparent reason? Check to see if there is an auto power off timer or something similar. Mine did that when I first bought it - the factory default was set at 2 hours. Am still not sure why it would have a facility like that at all...

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
It'll be something in here.

100_0576.JPG

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Does your telly turn itself off then for no apparent reason? Check to see if there is an auto power off timer or something similar. Mine did that when I first bought it - the factory default was set at 2 hours. Am still not sure why it would have a facility like that at all...

I wouldnt think so as it doesnt seem to be a regular timed fault just happens then perhaps not again for 2 days and then 3 times in an evening as if it is saying I am getting tired and need to have a kip to get my breath back.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Use your John Lewis 5 year guarantee. If you didn't use John Lewis, use them in future.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Use your John Lewis 5 year guarantee. If you didn't use John Lewis, use them in future.

Not much good for now and also I am looking at a tablet on their website but want to visit a shop to see and try it and the nearest to Haywards Heath is Tunbridge Wells or Chichester. I expected one in either Crawley or Brighton but no there isnt one in either, so very disappointed.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
My HDTV yesterday went wrong, when you turn it on the picture is perfect but 3 seconds later the screen goes black but the sound still works.
This happens every time I turn it on.
Is it terminal or is it a simple repair ?

Simple place to start is to check your cabling. A poor connection, could just mean it is losing the source and trying to resync.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Is it happening with the built in tuner or are you watching through a cable or satellite box? If it happens in all circumstances, i.e. whether you are watching the internal tuner or external devices it is probably the power to the backlight. If it happens again try and get the on screen menu to appear, if you can't see that either it is almost certain a dodgy connection from power to backlight, or a transformer for the backlight, should be an easy fix.
If it just happens on external devices, could be the input, the external device, or a connection cable. Try making sure the cable is pushed in straight both ends first.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
BALDSEAGULL has the right ideas.
How old is the screen, was it expensive and where did you buy it?
European law gives you a five year warranty. Call the shop you got it from.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here