Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Harry Redknapp

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Harry Redknapp: 'FA has not got a clue about how to run English game' "I wouldn't trust the FA to show me a good manager if their lives depended on it. How would they know? What clubs have they ever run? Who do they speak to who really knows the game?" the QPR manager said in his autobiography, serialised in the Daily Mail.

"This isn't about them giving the England job to me or Roy Hodgson, but English football being run by people who really haven't got a clue. And they get to pick the England manager.

"Everyone said I was the people's choice, the only choice. All the senior players seemed to be up for me to get the job. I got quite a few text messages at the time from players saying they would love me to manage England: Steven Gerrard, Wayne Rooney, Rio Ferdinand, John Terry. But the FA went for Roy Hodgson to be the England manager – a man who is more their cup of tea."

Would he have made a better manager than Roy Hodgson? And does he have somebody to read text messages to him?

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
How to undermine the England manager just days before a World Cup qualifier - part one.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Peter Crouch would be leading England's front line.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I can't think of many English managers I'd want LESS than Redknapp. Horrible person and a massively overrated manager.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
And some of us think that Poyet couldn't keep his mouth shut, there's a time and a place Harry and that a'int in the week of important make or break qualifiers. You'll likely be proved right soon enough.

No class.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think H would have been a brilliant England manager

Really?...I mean REALLY?! Think about how tactical and technical the top level of international football is now. You really think he could outthink some of the top managers in a world? Bear in mind things like "passion" and "motivation" mean absolute F**K ALL at that level. Spain haven't won the last 3 tournaments cos they "wanted it" the most or any nonsense like that.

Paddy B

Jul 5, 2003
Horsham
He may actually have a point buried in their somewhere but it smacks you in the face from the first line as the sourest of grapes

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
I think he would have been an excellent manager but think this is a pretty shitty piece of behaviour. Even ignoring the fact that there's a couple of vitally important qualifiers coming up, it's just pretty shoddy to publicly undermine a sitting manager like that. He says it's not about him and Roy Hodgson and who's better but then goes on to pretty much say it is. I think it's naive to suggest he wouldn't have been successful as he has been at most top-level jobs, but it's exactly this sort of behaviour that explains why he didn't get the job.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I think he would have been an excellent manager but think this is a pretty shitty piece of behaviour. Even ignoring the fact that there's a couple of vitally important qualifiers coming up, it's just pretty shoddy to publicly undermine a sitting manager like that. He says it's not about him and Roy Hodgson and who's better but then goes on to pretty much say it is. I think it's naive to suggest he wouldn't have been successful as he has been at most top-level jobs, but it's exactly this sort of behaviour that explains why he didn't get the job.

He's had ONE job that you could describe as even near top level, and he did "alright" in that one. Great CV. As I said above, to be good at the top level of international football you need a SUPERB level of tactical and technical acumen. Harry Redknapp. OK then.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Poor form at the beginning of a quite massive week for the England team.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Redknapp is clearly a top, top manager. Look how much Spurs have struggled since he left.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
"This isn't about them giving the England job to me or Roy Hodgson .... "

Ooooohhh yes it is! ROFL

Is it pantomime season already?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
I think H would have been a brilliant England manager

I think it would have been a train wreck ... and yet 'Arry (and the media strangely) would still have blamed someone else.

So, the FA don't know how to run things because they have never run a football club. How about Daniel Levy? He was pretty keen to out you about the same time the FA thought you weren't as good as you were cracked up to be.

How about every other chairman looking for a manager except Tony Fernandez who didn't go near you. Are you saying Fernandez is the only one who DOES know how to run things?

"Delusional" doesn't even come close.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I'd like 'Arry to get the England job at the start of a qualifying campaign... then have it go horribly wrong finally allowing everyone to move on from calls for him to be manager.

He ends getting sacked after we lose six games (two friendlies and four competitive) on the bounce including a shock 3-0 defeat at home against San Marino, before a proper manager comes in and leads England to the tournament by the narrowest of margins

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here