Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Adam El-Abd cut from final Egypt squad

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
He will be back in the team for the Yeovil game. Upson has been terrible in the last 3 consecutive games and warrants dropping. My only concern is that our defence has become exposed by the naive tactics, and the last time that happened (start of the 2009/2010 season) we got spanked regularly. Then Gus came in and sorted it out.

We don't play Huddersfield anyway any time soon, do we? :eek:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He will be back in the team for the Yeovil game. Upson has been terrible in the last 3 consecutive games and warrants dropping. My only concern is that our defence has become exposed by the naive tactics, and the last time that happened (start of the 2009/2010 season) we got spanked regularly. Then Gus came in and sorted it out.

You seem to have spelled 'Greer' wrong.

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
With no doubt it's Greer that has been the weak link. He's slow, shouts at everyone else (when he makes the mistakes) and is clueless at making forward passed. Adam in for him please.

samtheseagull

Sep 15, 2010
I must of been watching different games to some people, it amazes me how different some fans see things. Yes Greer and upson have been below par the last few games, yes Greer was very poor against forest. But before the Ipswich game, both players were performing very well, especially Greer. In some of the games Greer was top notch, but people seem to over look defenders performances. People are so quick to get on players backs when there under performing, every player in a season had out of form points.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
It's not surprising as he was directly at fault for the two goals in the Egyptian game where they won 4-2 despite his own goal and shocking defending for the second.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
You seem to have spelled 'Greer' wrong.

Only just seen this. Upson has been incredibly poor, leaving Greer exposed time and time again. Obviously it is easier to jump on Greer, the Forest third goal fresh in the memory. But Upson has an assist for the Sheff Weds goal, and his laughable performance at Ipswich as well where he left Greer one on one for their second because a man three or four inches shorter than him easily won the header.

Upson has been rubbish this season so far. Who is the defensive coach these days, Colin Hawkins?

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
and his laughable performance at Ipswich as well where he left Greer one on one for their second because a man three or four inches shorter than him easily won the header.

Upson has been rubbish this season so far. Who is the defensive coach these days, Colin Hawkins?

if we're being picky......the fella who won the header, yeah the guy who's ermmm '3-4 inches shorter' would be Darryl Murphy who stands at around 6 foot 3. Matt Upson however is 6 foot 2.....do the maths! Not only that, murphy is closer to the ball as it comes towards them, ao therefore he has an immediate advantage

theboybilly

I've only missed Leeds and Birmingham away this season so far and I cannot agree with this. Upson and Greer have been great in the vast majority of games this season. I will give you the Ipswich and (for Greer) Forest matches. Nobody played well at Portman Road and Nottingham Forest had a very good second half against us

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
if we're being picky......the fella who won the header, yeah the guy who's ermmm '3-4 inches shorter' would be Darryl Murphy who stands at around 6 foot 3. Matt Upson however is 6 foot 2.....do the maths! Not only that, murphy is closer to the ball as it comes towards them, ao therefore he has an immediate advantage

Just double checked and you're absolutely right. Darryl Murphy must be the shortest 6'3 in history! Adds a little bit of context perhaps, but it's not just the losing of the header which irked me about Upson that day, or all season. Long balls are becoming standard for him, as is not trusting Kuszczak. The amount of times in the last few games where he's opted to clear the ball under no pressure rather than allow it to run through has gone from being a possible lack of communication to blatant distrust in my eyes.

I've only missed Leeds and Birmingham away this season so far and I cannot agree with this. Upson and Greer have been great in the vast majority of games this season. I will give you the Ipswich and (for Greer) Forest matches. Nobody played well at Portman Road and Nottingham Forest had a very good second half against us

Our defensive record suggests that they have been, but recently they've both been woefully exposed by our midfield and it is causing errors. I think the reality is that our team don't have a great deal of confidence at the moment and it's leading to individual errors which are costing us games. The organisation we once had is long gone with Bridcutt no longer playing the shielding role. Andrews is a good player, but his inexperience at playing the holding role is starting to show. Which is not a criticism of him, we presumably didn't sign him to re-invent him as a holding midfielder. Time for Rohan Ince to come in with Crofts and Andrews alongside. It might not be pretty, but with LuaLua/Dave/Buckley occupying the other two positions either side of the striker, it might be more effective and solid than we currently are being.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath

I get accused of watching different games to everybody else so god knows which games you watch.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I get accused of watching different games to everybody else so god knows which games you watch.

We all watch a different game, BG!

Are you of the opinion that Greer has been worse than Upson? If so, why do you think so? Obviously Forest's third goal is his fault, twice. And you can argue the second Ipswich goal is his fault if you want to be massively over critical (take nothing away from McGoldrick) but other than that, what has he done wrong? Maybe I just don't notice his errors as much as I notice Upson's.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Only just seen this. Upson has been incredibly poor, leaving Greer exposed time and time again. Obviously it is easier to jump on Greer, the Forest third goal fresh in the memory. But Upson has an assist for the Sheff Weds goal, and his laughable performance at Ipswich as well where he left Greer one on one for their second because a man three or four inches shorter than him easily won the header.

I think the defence are missing Tanno's coaching.

D

Deleted member 18477

El abd in for Greer please. He has been awful in the last few games!

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I think the defence are missing Tanno's coaching.

Bridcutt as a screen as well.

Our whole team isn't even partially as well organised as it was under Gus, that is what a change of manager does. Oscar will get it sorted eventually, but for the time being I think we'll have to accept not being as good as were last season. In any department.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here