Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Alan Hansen retiring at the end of this season

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
My dad and I have had a row about it. I will miss him, he is fantastic value and knows the game inside out. My dad won't miss him, even as a Liverpool "fan", as he finds him boring.

Thoughts and feelings?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Hansen is very good. Tough act to follow.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Saw him play at the goldstone.

There are some younger, ex-players, on the block now (Neville, Shearer etc). Time for the Old Guard to move on. That includes Lawrenson and Crooks.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton

There are some younger, ex-players, on the block now (Neville, Shearer etc). Time for the Old Guard to move on. That includes Lawrenson and Crooks.

Shearer is an absolute waste of oxygen. I don't think I've ever heard a bit of analysis from him that I didn't think could have been made up by a fan at the game, he gives zero insight as a result of his time as a player. No wonder he was such a crap manager.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Shearer is an absolute waste of oxygen. I don't think I've ever heard a bit of analysis from him that I didn't think could have been made up by a fan at the game, he gives zero insight as a result of his time as a player. No wonder he was such a crap manager.

Ah, I did have second thoughts about mentioning Shearer, I agree on that one. Poor example. Should have mentioned someone else.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003

I don't think age comes into it. If Sir Alex felt like it he could go on MOTD and be one of the best pundits they'd ever had. The likes of Hoddle and Souness are also all 55-60 but still talk sense and give insight.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
I hope it means Pat Nevin gets a bit more of a go. I find him insightful & very knowledgable. Unfortunately though I don't think he's a big enough name.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Gary Neville is probably the only pundit I actually like, not sure I can think of any others. Maybe its because hes the only one who I agree with pretty much everything he says, top top quality pundit. Hansen for me is a bit 'MEH', doesn't really have much about him just seems very opinionated.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
I hope it means Pat Nevin gets a bit more of a go. I find him insightful & very knowledgable. Unfortunately though I don't think he's a big enough name.

You can't be serious? The man is a petulant infant with less understanding of football than a Palace fan.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Gus Poyet is licking his lips at taking over......

......which will delight his fan club on NSC as they will be able to see their hero regularly again.......whilst watching Palace get stuffed of course.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Gary Neville is probably the only pundit I actually like, not sure I can think of any others. Maybe its because hes the only one who I agree with pretty much everything he says, top top quality pundit. Hansen for me is a bit 'MEH', doesn't really have much about him just seems very opinionated.

Couldn't agree more. I thought Neville was the epitome of a Fergy brown noser when he was playing and that drove me nuts, but the guy talks absolute sense when talking tatics and once he has my attention then I can listen to him for ages. Sure to go onto bigger and better things in football management in the years to come.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
BBC seem to have lined up about 20 people to cover punditry, not sure why they dont think a half dozen will do. people can knock Hansen, but he has won everything in English club football several times over.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here