Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Johnny come late lately

East Stand Iron

Oct 2, 2013
Hello

I am new to this forum and thought i would post to introduce myself.

I am probably up for a bit of stick but have thick enough skin to take it and hope it will be no more than friendly banter.

I am sadly quickly approaching the big 40 and have dipped in and out of following the seagulls since my mid teens(following not supporting. My real passion when it comes to football has always been and always will be the mighty irons:eek: Sorry). I am actually a West ham supporter and have been since i was 7 or 8. I was born in Bradford but moved down south before my forth birthday.

When i first started to get into football i was geographically naive and had no real understanding of local teams or no knowledge that Bradford even had a football team(my Dad was a Leeds fan). If i would have understood the whole picture i would have either supported Bradford(the place of my birth) or Brighton or Palace as i lived pretty much half way between the two. Palace are one of the sides i have no time for whatsoever(and was dissapointed that dougie freedman did not get more stick earlier this season) so that was alucky escape.

I started following west ham for various reasons and was taken to my first west ham game in 1983. A classic 0-0 against Norwich enough to leave anyone hooked for life. I have been to see West ham 50 + times over the years including 2 play off finals. I have 2 grown up daughters(Just) one a hammer one dis-interested, the eldest joined me for many trips to Upton park and loved it. I now have a young son(8) who despite my efforts has not taken on my passion and seemed to be turning into a typical southern boy and jumping from one band wagon to the next. I even got him a man city shirt a few years ago. However last year i was lucky enough to get my self some freebies tickets in the 1901 club Corporate for Burnley, Huddersfield and one other and he was hooked. A Brighton fan, his local club i was more than happy it was the right choice. I hate your glory hunters and am glad he has been steered away from that road.

So back to me. My first Brighton game was the cup final in 1984. I am ashamed to say that i was in the united end and that i was caught up in the mood of those around me and cheered on Man Utd. This is one of the things in my life i am most ashamed of. I hate Manchester united with a passion only Spurs can match them in bringing out the worst in me, but i was young and thought singing Seaweed was very funny. Please forgive me and then perhaps i can forgive myself.

Anyway when i was about 10 i moved to the south coast, Peacehaven to be exact and in my teens i spent a couple of seasons following Brighton(West ham was to far and to expensive for a 15 year old with a paper round and a big thirst for cheap cider). I went to nearly all the home games and away to Portsmouth and to the ill-fated play off final against Notts County. My fondest memories being the final game of the season against Ipswich (Dean Wilkin's free kick?)and the pitch invasion after the match. The Millwall game i think it was the second leg i think it was a 4-1 victory against a side how i thought were favourites, Did Millwall win the first leg?. I remember been in the North stand and some nutter had been dragged out of the Millwall end was been walked round in front of the north stand he had no teeth and was doing all he could to escape and get in to the North stand, he was getting dogs abuse and had he got away would have been eaten alive. As a Hammer at heart this gave me extra satisfaction.I also loved the Johnny Crumplin football genius chant(have we got no one we could sing that to now)

I also went to the play off final in Cardiff, Which was part of an all weekender after Palace had beaten West Ham, Bristol city i believe 1-0. I have even been to the Withdean on a cold Tuesday night in November against Brentford(i would not have been getting a season ticket if they were still there)

So i decided to get season tickets for my boys 8th Birthday which was August the 10th the day of the first home game. We are in the east stand, near the north stand pretty much in line with the 6 yard box.

My experiences this season have been varied and i would like to start to understand the club better and its supporters, i want to bring my son up to understand the whole club so that he can understand how far they have come and that he must not become dispondant if this season is not as great as last or if they never make the premier league or if they got relegated(which will not happen this season for sure) and that you stick with your team, manager and players how ever frustrating it may be sometimes(and it has been, Sheff Wed was awful).

Sorry if i have bored you but i felt should introduce myself before i started posting on here.

Please feel free to comment abuse or advise. Its your club, but i am planning on hanging around here to see what i can learn and to voice my thoughts.

I am also keen to learn the songs so we can sing along, as it is pretty quite were i am and to me fans are there to support the team and the more singing the better.

Come on you Seagulls.:clap2::clap2::clap2:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Palace fan

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Read him a bedtime story called "Build A Bonfire"

East Stand Iron

Oct 2, 2013
Are you winding me up, have you even read it? Or is that an insult? Do you think i would waste all that time for nothing?

sod1

Jan 12, 2008
Brasov , Romania
Hello

I am probably up for a bit of stick but have thick enough skin to take it and hope it will be no more than friendly banter.

I am sadly quickly approaching the big 40 and have dipped in and out of following the seagulls since my mid teens(following not supporting. My real passion when it comes to football has always been and always will be the mighty irons:eek: Sorry). I am actually a West ham supporter and have been since i was 7 or 8. I was born in Bradford but moved down south before my forth birthday.

When i first started to get into football i was geographically naive and had no real understanding of local teams or no knowledge that Bradford even had a football team(my Dad was a Leeds fan). If i would have understood the whole picture i would have either supported Bradford(the place of my birth) or Brighton or Palace as i lived pretty much half way between the two. Palace are one of the sides i have no time for whatsoever(and was dissapointed that dougie freedman did not get more stick earlier this season) so that was alucky escape.

I started following west ham for various reasons and was taken to my first west ham game in 1983. A classic 0-0 against Norwich enough to leave anyone hooked for life. I have been to see West ham 50 + times over the years including 2 play off finals. I have 2 grown up daughters(Just) one a hammer one dis-interested, the eldest joined me for many trips to Upton park and loved it. I now have a young son(8) who despite my efforts has not taken on my passion and seemed to be turning into a typical southern boy and jumping from one band wagon to the next. I even got him a man city shirt a few years ago. However last year i was lucky enough to get my self some freebies tickets in the 1901 club Corporate for Burnley, Huddersfield and one other and he was hooked. A Brighton fan, his local club i was more than happy it was the right choice. I hate your glory hunters and am glad he has been steered away from that road.

So back to me. My first Brighton game was the cup final in 1984. I am ashamed to say that i was in the united end and that i was caught up in the mood of those around me and cheered on Man Utd. This is one of the things in my life i am most ashamed of. I hate Manchester united with a passion only Spurs can match them in bringing out the worst in me, but i was young and thought singing Seaweed was very funny. Please forgive me and then perhaps i can forgive myself.

Anyway when i was about 10 i moved to the south coast, Peacehaven to be exact and in my teens i spent a couple of seasons following Brighton(West ham was to far and to expensive for a 15 year old with a paper round and a big thirst for cheap cider). I went to nearly all the home games and away to Portsmouth and to the ill-fated play off final against Notts County. My fondest memories being the final game of the season against Ipswich (Dean Wilkin's free kick?)and the pitch invasion after the match. The Millwall game i think it was the second leg i think it was a 4-1 victory against a side how i thought were favourites, Did Millwall win the first leg?. I remember been in the North stand and some nutter had been dragged out of the Millwall end was been walked round in front of the north stand he had no teeth and was doing all he could to escape and get in to the North stand, he was getting dogs abuse and had he got away would have been eaten alive. As a Hammer at heart this gave me extra satisfaction.I also loved the Johnny Crumplin football genius chant(have we got no one we could sing that to now)

I also went to the play off final in Cardiff, Which was part of an all weekender after Palace had beaten West Ham, Bristol city i believe 1-0. I have even been to the Withdean on a cold Tuesday night in November against Brentford(i would not have been getting a season ticket if they were still there)

So i decided to get season tickets for my boys 8th Birthday which was August the 10th the day of the first home game. We are in the east stand, near the north stand pretty much in line with the 6 yard box.

My experiences this season have been varied and i would like to start to understand the club better and its supporters, i want to bring my son up to understand the whole club so that he can understand how far they have come and that he must not become dispondant if this season is not as great as last or if they never make the premier league or if they got relegated(which will not happen this season for sure) and that you stick with your team, manager and players how ever frustrating it may be sometimes(and it has been, Sheff Wed was awful).

Sorry if i have bored you but i felt should introduce myself before i started posting on here.

Please feel free to comment abuse or advise. Its your club, but i am planning on hanging around here to see what i can learn and to voice my thoughts.

I am also keen to learn the songs so we can sing along, as it is pretty quite were i am and to me fans are there to support the team and the more singing the better.

cup final of 84 ?? Hmmmh !

Hello

Don't get involved in a debate with tlo you two will use up all our words:rolleyes:

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
Op has no time for Palace but changes teams when he feels like, I am glad you never "chose" us.

You support West ham, Ignored Bradford, Cheered for Man U and have now fallen in love with Brighton :lolol:

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
tl;dr

I only hope you're not one of these bell-end top 4 supporters who seem to think they're doing little old Brighton a favour by having a season ticket and want some kind of recognition for it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here