Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Which law would you change / introduce to improve Football?

paul wickens

Wicko1
Dec 23, 2011
I referee both Football and Rugby at secondary school level (I'm a PE teacher) and feel that although, in my opinion Football is a better game because of its simplicity, the level of conduct between players and referees is far more civilised in Rugby because, the referee can move the ball forward 10 yards if decisions are contested and referees use a10 minute sin bin if players transgress; both of these would improve Football overnight if they were introduced. The 10 yard law was trialled for a bit in minor Football about 10 years ago but no feedback was forthcoming about its usefulness. I'm well aware that Rugby has its own problems in interpreting its own laws but I think Football can learn a lot from it in terms of player conduct. What does everyone think?

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Sin bin.

Yellow or sin bin for gobbing off to the ref.

You can already get a yellow for gobbing off at the ref. They just don't use it often enough. I'd go with a 10 or 15 minute sin bin though for second bookable offences. That'd be much better.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yellow card replaced with a 5 minute sin bin and then be sent off for a second instance In the administration a wages ceiling including add on weekly bonus for each division. The only exception being a lump sum on promotion as a bonus.

jonny.rainbow

Oct 29, 2005
The moving the ball forward rule was unpopular as it became a disadvantage the nearer to the goal the ball was moved.

I would rather see players who encroach at free-kicks, pull shirts at corners or unduly contest referee's decisions removed temporarily from the field of play.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
When a player is injured and has to be treated by the physio, he should not have to then leave the pitch, to then have to wait to be called back on by the ref.
The team with the treated player is at a disadvantage for a short time.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
At the end of the game someone looks at the replays and has the power to hand out bans for diving and shirt pulling.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Penalty for fouls outside the box where the foul has denied a goal scoring opportunity (instead if a red card).

Penalty goal for a handball or any infringement that would have otherwise been a goal (like Suarez in the World Cup).

Retrospective bans for diving as shown by TV evidence.

Not so much a rule, but do away with the business of expecting your opponents to kick the ball out if someone on your team is 'injured'; teams can still play on with 1 man down. Although this is actually starting to happen.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
What's the alternative? If a player can jog back on whenever he's ready, he could use it to his advantage - which is presumably why that rule exists.

The alternative is we never used to have this rule, my point is he should not have to leave the pitch unless he needs a longer spell of treatment.

mac04

Nov 15, 2011
RH12
Fewer penalties.

Penalties should only be given if stopping a direct goalscoring opportunity, not for minor infringements in the corners of the box or handballs from crosses where the defender is only 2 yards from the winger.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I referee both Football and Rugby at secondary school level (I'm a PE teacher) and feel that although, in my opinion Football is a better game because of its simplicity, the level of conduct between players and referees is far more civilised in Rugby because, the referee can move the ball forward 10 yards if decisions are contested and referees use a10 minute sin bin if players transgress; both of these would improve Football overnight if they were introduced. The 10 yard law was trialled for a bit in minor Football about 10 years ago but no feedback was forthcoming about its usefulness. I'm well aware that Rugby has its own problems in interpreting its own laws but I think Football can learn a lot from it in terms of player conduct. What does everyone think?

It was certainly trialled in the football league but failed because football refs are weak. They hardly ever imposed the rule when there was dissent because they are too use to just accepting it. The should be booking far more players than they currently do for dissent but it needs all refs to do it, not just one or two.

Yellow card replaced with a 5 minute sin bin and then be sent off for a second instance In the administration a wages ceiling including add on weekly bonus for each division. The only exception being a lump sum on promotion as a bonus.

Agree with the sin bin but it should be at least 10 minutes or even 15. 5 minutes means nothing.

The moving the ball forward rule was unpopular as it became a disadvantage the nearer to the goal the ball was moved.

I would rather see players who encroach at free-kicks, pull shirts at corners or unduly contest referee's decisions removed temporarily from the field of play.

First I've heard of that, would like to see the evidence! It was hardly ever imposed so not sure how anyone could come to that conclusion. It can of course be better to have a free kick further away but that is only going to affect an area from the edge of the penalty box to about 5 yards further out.

At the end of the game someone looks at the replays and has the power to hand out bans for diving and shirt pulling.

Totally agree with this.

The other thing I would like to see is independent time keepers that would eliminate time wasting. I think at the moment it has been established that ball can be in play for between 60 and 70 minutes out of the 90.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Penalty for fouls outside the box where the foul has denied a goal scoring opportunity (instead if a red card).

This is a good idea as a free kick is not always an advantage(with us taking one anyway) as the team defending the free kick then have all their players behind the ball.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here