Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The FFP smokescreen

theyellowdinosaur

Nov 29, 2011
Anyone else fed up with the club hiding behind FFP. It seems that everyone else who is challenging for the top 6 has carried on as normal whilst Barber can't stop talking about it. If we had gone out and signed 2-3 class players then the rewards of going up would make the money we spent on those players seem irrelevant but instead we re-sign spanish dave. As for the injuries, yes we have been unlucky but we knew that Mackail-Smith and Hoskins were injured before the season started and for a club that finished 4th last season to have only 1 fit striker is a joke.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
8m annual loss is not sustainable FFP or not. Can you blame Tony Bloom for wanting to cut costs?

saafend_seagull

Jul 5, 2003
BN1
How many more of these stupid threads are we going to have?

On the basis of the last few days id imagine somewhere in the range of 5,600-19,000

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Are you going to put up the millions to fund these players then?
I hate replies like this. It's not the first time i hear FFP being spoken about as an excuse of not spending money. Fans will question the club over the lack of investment this season especially with our striking crisis.

We have many thousands of fans who won't stick around or renew season tickets if there's no sign of progress on the field. Can't blame them either with the price of our season tickets.

Last edited:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I hate replies like this. It's not the first time i here FFP being spoken about as an excuse of not spending money. Fans will question the club over the lack of investment this season especially with our striking crisis.

We have many thousands of fans who won't stick around or renew season tickets if there's no sign of progress on the field. Can't blame them either with the price of our season tickets.

Why do you not like replies that are based on common sense? The money has to come from somewhere. If you know of another source other than TB's pockets then you should share it with us!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I hate replies like this. It's not the first time i here FFP being spoken about as an excuse of not spending money. Fans will question the club over the lack of investment this season especially with our striking crisis.

FFP is NOT an excuse for not spending money. FFP means that we have to spend our money WISELY. The two things are very different.

There are various issues around this that we can ask questions about, like where is all the club's income being spent and why have we not signed a loan striker yet, for example.

But my interpretation of the OP's post is that he thinks we as a club should be spending way in excess of our means in an attempt to get the Prem league. In other words, TB should get his hand in his pocket AGAIN.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
How dare Bloom invest multi-million pounds into the club and now wish to be sustainable. I think some fans honestly don't have a clue about finances, it's quite simple. You cannot keep spending more than you have.

It'd be interesting to see the politics behind who votes who and their views on the clubs expenditure. How many of those moaning about lack of investment are considering voting labour?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I bet TB loves all these fans moaning about ticket prices while expecting him to just keep throwing millions more at a what is already a massive investment.

FFP MAY be being used as a smokescreen to some extent, but does any clear minded fan actually blame him in any way?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
I bet TB loves all these fans moaning about ticket prices while expecting him to just keep throwing millions more at a what is already a massive investment.

FFP MAY be being used as a smokescreen to some extent, but does any clear minded fan actually blame him in any way?

Good post.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham

A smokescreen for what? TB has said that he wants the club to be self-financing. FFP has come along that means that every club should be self-financing. Where is the smokescreen?

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Why do you not like replies that are based on common sense? The money has to come from somewhere. If you know of another source other than TB's pockets then you should share it with us!

Regardless what you think is common sense or not but people will want value for money for there season ticket. After all we are customers like Barber says.

Seriously though we don't have a large loyal fan base at all. Actually that is probably an unfair assumption of me as it hasn't been tested yet. This season could be a real test though.
There's no excuse for a club with record gates and highest attendances in the football league to limp on since the start of the season with hardly any strikers. It's a joke.

I'm not saying spend bucket loads of money because you don't. There has been strikers out there we could have got on loan but didn't for what ever reason.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
A smokescreen for what? TB has said that he wants the club to be self-financing. FFP has come along that means that every club should be self-financing. Where is the smokescreen?

It does seem that every comment about spending money on players is linked to FFP, not sure I've seen quotes or heard comments about the reason we are not spending money on players is because the club now has to be self financing. It's a less controversial thing to claim it's all about FFP rather than TB coming out and saying "that's your lot from me on player budgets"

Smokescreen may be too strong a word, but FFP does give the club cover for not coming out and saying that there is no more money for players.

Either way, the gravy train is at a standstill, and some can't accept it.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here