Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tactics

CliveWalkerWingWizard

Aug 31, 2006
surrenden
I do not want to be an Oscar basher but todays game left me with a few questions.

With Barnes out of his depth as a loan striker why didn't we try 2 up front ? buckley or lua lua with conway coming on .

why do we still slow down play in the final 3rd ? far too many players taking an unneeded 2nd or 3rd touch then cutting back, instaed of passing the bloody thing.

1 up front away fine, but at home i think it is very negative.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
What choices did Oscar have? Very few.

We have a lot of wages tied up in the players he can not pick. That is the reality.

I am not a big Oscar fan, nor am I a detractor. He can not be judged yet, he has a hand and a few fingers tied behind his back and it simply isn't fair to assess him on what has happened so far. Orlandi, Bridcutt, CMS and Ulloa walk into this team and none of them are available.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
What choices did Oscar have? Very few.

We have a lot of wages tied up in the players he can not pick. That is the reality.

I am not a big Oscar fan, nor am I a detractor. He can not be judged yet, he has a hand and a few fingers tied behind his back and it simply isn't fair to assess him on what has happened so far. Orlandi, Bridcutt, CMS and Ulloa walk into this team and none of them are available.

Again agree, he needs to be judged when everyone is available. However, the tactics post sending off were ridiculous and he should've sorted that out, as for taking off Barnes........ unless he was injured that was madness.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Again agree, he needs to be judged when everyone is available. However, the tactics post sending off were ridiculous and he should've sorted that out, as for taking off Barnes........ unless he was injured that was madness.

Is it, we are 3-1 down and looking unlikely to score and Barnes is the only striker we have. Things are getting a bit naughty with some of the tackles and that is like, light the blue touch paper and stand back with Barnes. Oscar may have already been told that it is unlikely we will sign another striker anytime soon and he was protecting what he has.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford

I'm firmly on the fence but why wait until everyone is fit before making judgement? We might not win as much as we'd like, but I'd have thought that the qualities of the management team would never be more apparent than when their backs are to the wall

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Is it, we are 3-1 down and looking unlikely to score and Barnes is the only striker we have. Things are getting a bit naughty with some of the tackles and that is like, light the blue touch paper and stand back with Barnes. Oscar may have already been told that it is unlikely we will sign another striker anytime soon and he was protecting what he has.

Perhaps, but at least 3 crosses went into the box that Barnes would have had a chance of getting something on or causing mayhem. He could slip in the showers post match, trip going to the car. Significantly reducing the odd's of scoring by withdrawing him against a team under pressure and down to 10 men doesn't seem that sensible to me.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I'm firmly on the fence but why wait until everyone is fit before making judgement? We might not win as much as we'd like, but I'd have thought that the qualities of the management team would never be more apparent than when their backs are to the wall

Absolutely agree, no long term judgement here as yet, and these are observations on a match by match basis. Clearly if they mount up, then I'd worry. He needs to have everyone available. Ulloa aside, we really miss Orlandi.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Absolutely agree, no long term judgement here as yet, and these are observations on a match by match basis. Clearly if they mount up, then I'd worry. He needs to have everyone available. Ulloa aside, we really miss Orlandi.

We do miss Orlandi but I'm not sure that he alone would make a huge difference. The injuries are undoubtedly impacting on results but I'm struggling to imagine how our performances would be so vastly different.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
We do miss Orlandi but I'm not sure that he alone would make a huge difference. The injuries are undoubtedly impacting on results but I'm struggling to imagine how our performances would be so vastly different.

I think we are lacking creativity wise. Andrews is now off the boil and although a defensive midfielder did go some way in making everything tick. Ince should have played in a physical match like yesterday.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Perhaps, but at least 3 crosses went into the box that Barnes would have had a chance of getting something on or causing mayhem. He could slip in the showers post match, trip going to the car. Significantly reducing the odd's of scoring by withdrawing him against a team under pressure and down to 10 men doesn't seem that sensible to me.

I understand what you say, but Barnes was taken off with 6 minutes left and if you listen to the OG interview after the game, OG does not sound convinced new strikers will be in place by Yeovil. Barnes in the team at Yeovil is most important, as he is more likely to score the winner there than getting two goals in 6 minutes last night.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
I do not want to be an Oscar basher but todays game left me with a few questions.

With Barnes out of his depth as a loan striker why didn't we try 2 up front ? buckley or lua lua with conway coming on .

why do we still slow down play in the final 3rd ? far too many players taking an unneeded 2nd or 3rd touch then cutting back, instaed of passing the bloody thing.

1 up front away fine, but at home i think it is very negative.

He is ours - Not a loan striker!

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I think we are lacking creativity wise. Andrews is now off the boil and although a defensive midfielder did go some way in making everything tick. Ince should have played in a physical match like yesterday.

Agree, not playing Ince is baffling. Against Bolton he totally bossed his patch and his distribution was outstanding .. after that I just assumed he'd be one of the first few names on the teamsheet

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester

I agree with this. We still have a team full of ex Internationals who should be doing better than one point in three games (two of them being at home). The players don't seem to be aware of what they are meant to be doing at times. There is a well resourced management team that needs to pull their finger out and stop feeling sorry for themselves that we have some injuries.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I understand what you say, but Barnes was taken off with 6 minutes left and if you listen to the OG interview after the game, OG does not sound convinced new strikers will be in place by Yeovil. Barnes in the team at Yeovil is most important, as he is more likely to score the winner there than getting two goals in 6 minutes last night.

Plus 5 mins injury time - 11 mins, Eric Potts scored twice in a minute and Forest did something similar last night - sorry but for me its never over until the final whistle. I haven't heard the Oscar interview, but we need to get cover for Ashley if nothing else.....

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think we will learn more about Oscar after the next transfer window, he has a squad of Gus signings really so until he can change things we are where we are.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset

Barnes could still be there now trying to connect with the high balls played into him, and not manage it ! Think FB was referring to the possibility of him throwing a tantrum and seeing red.

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells

Not as mad as leaving him on, he was totally crap again yesterday. Garcia has dropped Barnes every chance he has had and subbed him in every game when he had no choice but to play him, due to him being the only fit striker. I think it's fair to say Garcia has Barnes's number. But what can he do??? His hands are tied, he has nothing to work with up front. Feel a bit sorry for him really.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

agreed....still not putting ball in the net simples..also we need to sign lady luck..dont seem to have much of it at the mo

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here