Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone else depressed yet?

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Not really. If we are in bottom three at Christmas, might get a little worried but presently think that mid table beckons. Top two is fairyland, and top six looks unlikely.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I am a bit depressed about it, yes. Approaching a quarter of the way through the season I really didn't want to have to be looking at the bottom half of the table.

Being depressed is not the same thing as being pessimistic though. Our injury situation is remarkable and can't go on for ever, can it? A year snuggling in the warm, comfortable blanket of mid table safety would be acceptable.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Not depressed at all, This season is reminding me of our first season in the Championship with inconsistency on the pitch and loads of injuries.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We're obviously not going to go down, so not sure really what there is to be depressed about. Was always going to take plenty of time with Oscar.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
We're obviously not going to go down, so not sure really what there is to be depressed about. Was always going to take plenty of time with Oscar.

I would not be so sure about that, if you keep losing the mentality of the players will get far worse

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
It was always going to be a transitional season this year anyway with OG coming in so late and knowing very little about the Championship, so I'm not worried yet. Yes 3 wins from 12 in league and cup is poor but I can accept this due to the injuries we have suffered. As long as we stay up this season, I would expect to be challenging at the right end next year. To me football goes in cycles - last year was our chance to hit the Prem but we chocked at the last minute, now it might be 3 or 4 seasons before we hit that crest again. I think we just have to be patient and realistic and be grateful that we have a club to support in a great stadium.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Well the optimist in me sees us spluttering along through Xmas .. we get a few players back and OG gets busy in January the window and our performances improve hugely.

We're one of the form teams in the 2nd half and finish in a respectable 8th or 9th

More activity in the summer window and we say goodbye to Bruno, Lopez, Hoskins (pity) and Barnes (not because I dislike him, just that we need better), a couple of others and all of our loanees

Next season we come out of the blocks firing on all cylinders and finish sneaking up in 2nd avoiding the play offs on GD

Anything less and I'm pi$$ed off

Canonman

Apr 14, 2011
Unfortunately I tipped us to be top two with QPR and obviously that is now not going to happen. I don't subscribe to this comfortable mid table position some are talking about, it's too precarious in my opinion especially in this league. We need to be winning our home matches at least and hopefully when our injured players return we will get back on track. I think Oscar will prevail in the end.

Brian Parsons

May 16, 2013
Bicester, Oxfordshire.
My late wife was always critisising me for being a pessimist to which I would say no I am a realist. A lot of people on this site keep banging on about when our injured players return everything will get better, they are probably right but what if it does not get better? This league has 24 teams, a top 8, middle 8 and a squeaky bum bottom 8. I think we can forget top 8, the middle would suffice and build and go for it next season but a bottom 8 would see low attendances and less revenue to use to buy better players. The time has come people to remove our rose tinted glasses and face upto the reality that we may have to endure more misery before we enjoy success.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The time has come people to remove our rose tinted glasses and face upto the reality that we may have to endure more misery before we enjoy success.

If being in a tussle to stay up is misery, I can live with it, we have no divine right to be challenging. Misery is watching your team 1 down at half time and about to go out of the league, having no ground and a bleak future.

I sympathise completely with the problems that Oscar has and I have no intention of getting depressed with 2/3 rds of what has been a very trying season left.

The sense of entitlement from so many Albion fans is quite depressing ( not including the quoted poster in this necessarily)

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Well the optimist in me sees us spluttering along through Xmas .. we get a few players back and OG gets busy in January the window and our performances improve hugely.

We're one of the form teams in the 2nd half and finish in a respectable 8th or 9th

More activity in the summer window and we say goodbye to Bruno, Lopez, Hoskins (pity) and Barnes (not because I dislike him, just that we need better), a couple of others and all of our loanees

Next season we come out of the blocks firing on all cylinders and finish sneaking up in 2nd avoiding the play offs on GD

Anything less and I'm pi$$ed off

I wouldn't say you are being optimistic, more realistic. I would say that quite possibly there are question marks throughout the side even down to Greer, Upson and Calde.

Having said that there is no reason why the current players cannot turn this around and Oscar has to coach them through this. Come January Oscar will fully understand who is part of our future and who is not.

In an ideal world we would probably be looking at replacing all of them if we were going to make the step up to the Prem, but that’s where we are, in transition with a team inherited from Poyet.

What we as fans have to do is understand the enormity of the task in hand for Oscar and what he is learning and teaching now is preparation for the second half of the season and the next. Many of the players here are on short term contracts or loans so we are in a position to wield the axe if we need to.

I hope all the squad we have here will prove themselves and I will support them all, but at the same time change happens although it cannot happen over night.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here