Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Waving imaginary cards

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Unsporting, unnecessary, ungentlemanly ... hated seeing Spanish Dave do it tonight. I'd like us to be better than that.

Zukey Seagull

Jun 23, 2013
Worthing
I hate to see that from players.
Maybe but just a thought, if a player is seen by the ref gesturing a imaginary card, the player himself should be booked.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Spanish Dave is Spanish , its what they do in Spain. Much better than him giving the offending player a "Glasgow Kiss" to make his point.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Unsporting, unnecessary, ungentlemanly ... hated seeing Spanish Dave do it tonight. I'd like us to be better than that.

Was he waving an imaginary yellow card or an imaginary red one?

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

what's the difference between a player waving an imaginary card and a player saying "come on ref that's got to be a booking?"

I'm more concerned with SD's poor free kicks, corners and general play.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I saw on Twitter you were a but upset by that.

I don't have as much of a problem with it as some. I think we're a bit precious about it in the UK to be honest. To me its no different to any fan or player claiming a pen, free kick or throw in etc when its no better than a 50/50 call that goes on in every match.

I still find it hard to understand how in British football we get far more upset and completely over react about that, diving or spitting than the many potentially leg breaking and totally irresponsible challenges that go on in every game in this country.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I still find it hard to understand how in British football we get far more upset and completely over react about that, diving or spitting than the many potentially leg breaking and totally irresponsible challenges that go on in every game in this country.

Because football is a man's game, innit. It's a contact sport, geezer. Tackling is part of the english game. We won the world cup in 66, y'know and we didn't do it by worrying about getting our socks dirty. Why are you trying to sanitize the game? Why don't you go watch croquet?!

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Nothing wrong with a bit of mime.

Did he also do walking against the wind, being trapped in an invisible box and going up and down a set of stairs?

The Camel

Nov 1, 2010
Darlington, UK
How is waving an imaginary card so bad?

It's just the same as telling the ref "you've got to book him for that" and not as bad as feigning injury or diving.

Fan4fifty

May 17, 2013
Totally agree. The players are always in the refs ears, telling them its yellow or red ! You just don't hear it. What's the difference ?

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Every team we play at fortress Amex cheats, niggles, bullies the ref, has a mouthy manager, fouls our players and gets away with it, time wastes etc. I see NO problem waving an imaginary card to remind the ref of his duty.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Every team we play at fortress Amex cheats, niggles, bullies the ref, has a mouthy manager, fouls our players and gets away with it, time wastes etc. I see NO problem waving an imaginary card to remind the ref of his duty.

I don't like the imaginary card waving but agree that there's a lot worse that goes on in terms of gamesmanship that it's far more important to cut out. If it's a massive star doing it, then a ref might be influenced. At our level, I can only imagine it having a negative attitude to the player that's trying to tell him what to do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here