Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is OG brave enough to drop GG. Does he need to? Who comes in?

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
Seriously off the pace today and how can he players take his criticising/ encouraging them seriously when he is player this poorly.

The major problem being who comes in to replace him, AEA is the only option. The squad is suffering from serious depth issues.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Seriously off the pace today and how can he players take his criticising/ encouraging them seriously when he is player this poorly.

The major problem being who comes in to replace him, AEA is the only option. The squad is suffering from serious depth issues.

AEA is an good championship level centerback, I don't understand how that is a depth issue.

Normandy seagull

Jul 16, 2003
Orne 61 France
wonder if time is starting to catch up on him- how old is he? My 90 year old grandad has more mobility than him

simballs

Jun 11, 2012
Southwick
I think El Abd is perfect to replace him. Has fight and heart and is decent defender too. Greer's been making to many fundamental defensive errors this year.

It's a massive call to drop your skipper but one I'd be happy with.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
Hopefully no. Upson has messed up twice in two games but people are not calling for him to be dropped. This is the same defence that was solid against Reading and QPR and was doing well for most of the season.

simballs

Jun 11, 2012
Southwick
Hopefully no. Upson has messed up twice in two games but people are not calling for him to be dropped. This is the same defence that was solid against Reading and QPR and was doing well for most of the season.

No we are not because he is not to blame for Greer's poor form.

Greer allowed the striker to turn and shoot on the six yard box on Tuesday, gave a poor penalty away today and that's just two of a list this season.

Upson may have made two, although I don't remember his one on Tuesday, but they are small in comparison!

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
No we are not because he is not to blame for Greer's poor form.

Greer allowed the striker to turn and shoot on the six yard box on Tuesday, gave a poor penalty away today and that's just two of a list this season.

Upson may have made two, although I don't remember his one on Tuesday, but they are small in comparison!

Tuesday, not sure he did. He went out to close the bloke who put the ball in before their striker turned Ward all this following Upson not putting the ball out when he had the chance.

Yes the penalty and all that led up to it was poor from Greer but personally don't think that is reason to drop him, especially when the replacement would be El-Abd who is also limited

simballs

Jun 11, 2012
Southwick
Tuesday, not sure he did. He went out to close the bloke who put the ball in before their striker turned Ward all this following Upson not putting the ball out when he had the chance.

Yes the penalty and all that led up to it was poor from Greer but personally don't think that is reason to drop him, especially when the replacement would be El-Abd who is also limited

El Abd is no more limited than Greer. The difference is that one has been poor on numerous occasions and moans at others for his mistakes. I've never thought he's been bad until this season. Positioning has been poor, numerous times. He let the player turn in Tuesday and has done it before this season. it's not a reaction to one or two games but quite a few moments that have cost us goals.

El Abd is a very different player to Greer but without Bridcutt to pass to Greer also looks very limited on the ball. Very big call to drop your captain but he's also meant to lead and I don't see much of that either.

Rookie

Greetings
Feb 8, 2005
El Abd is no more limited than Greer. The difference is that one has been poor on numerous occasions and moans at others for his mistakes. I've never thought he's been bad until this season. Positioning has been poor, numerous times. He let the player turn in Tuesday and has done it before this season. it's not a reaction to one or two games but quite a few moments that have cost us goals.

El Abd is a very different player to Greer but without Bridcutt to pass to Greer also looks very limited on the ball. Very big call to drop your captain but he's also meant to lead and I don't see much of that either.

Again on Tuesday he didn't get turned for the goal, I have just watched the highlights back. He went out to close their player down who put the ball in Fryatt who then turned Ward who was covering Upson. Upson then comes sliding in too late.
Please note I not saying Upson should be dropped just pointing things out

simballs

Jun 11, 2012
Southwick
Again on Tuesday he didn't get turned for the goal, I have just watched the highlights back. He went out to close their player down who put the ball in Fryatt who then turned Ward who was covering Upson. Upson then comes sliding in too late.
Please note I not saying Upson should be dropped just pointing things out

Ok I will bow to your highlights as I don't have any.

I am saying Greer should be dropped. Because he has been consistently poor. I believe part off this is the absence of Bridcutt. He shields him with his break up of play and gets the ball off him so Greer doesn't need to hit it long. In short he's more exposed and now looks more limited. Greer's positional sense is up the spout and that isn't Bridcutts absence. Get El Abd in.

GoingUp

Aug 14, 2011
Sussex By The Sea
He was bad 2day, PIG should of had a word with him, he's quick to have a word with him when its the other way round!

Whats happened with Dunk? Couple seasons ago there was talk of Tottenham and other Prem teams looking at him, next min he cant get a look in, I know theres the court case that happened, but still.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually

Over the season Oscar has to assess all of the players, who and will not be here next year, or dropped from the starting 11 and replaced with better quality.

El Abd can't easily replace Greer because his position in Left CB not Right CB in any case.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Over the season Oscar has to assess all of the players, who and will not be here next year, or dropped from the starting 11 and replaced with better quality.

El Abd can't easily replace Greer because his position in Left CB not Right CB in any case.

When Greer was out injured last year Upson & AEA were fine.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
Who could replace Gordon Greer. Anyone who can head a ball and make a tackle would be a start.

I cannot recall a centre back that is so poor in the air. Even when he has a free header it normally comes off the top of his head. The major weak link of our defence.

Adam El-Abd is not the answer, unless the question is, name another centre half out of their depth in the Championship.

Hopefully Lewis Dunk comes back from Bristol City with a few games under his belt, and back tot he form that had Premiership clubs sniffing around him a couple of years ago. But along with the right back, this is a position we are seriously lacking in, if we are serious about reaching the play offs.

D

Deleted member 18477

Agreed off the pace. El abd for next game please.

martyn20

Unwell but still smiling
Aug 4, 2012
Burgess Hill
What makes you say that, out of interest?

Maybe it's just how long he's been doing it but the team seems unsettled when he is not there. Bridcutt had possibly his worst games last year when he was captain while Greer was injured. I think the others look to him during the game a lot, Gus and Oscar must have seen something because he is, at best, average as a defender.
I think Orlandi is best for the 'club captain' role for the future and if Greer loses that job I can't see him staying in the first team line up for long.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here