Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Footballers who smoke

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/24400297

Should it be banned? Seems pretty disgusting that football fans pay these guys huge wages only for them to not actually take care of themselves like the top athletes they are supposed to be, surprised by Jack Wilshere as well always seemed like a very sensible lad. Thoughts?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I don't think it's a moral issue or one of players being role models.

It's a commercial one. I'm surprised it isn't in players contracts these days.

D

Deleted member 18477

Zidane smoked at half time... whatever makes them happy in my opinion.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
OGH 10 silk cut lights not seen him buy any for ages now tho
If they want to smoke it's totally up to them

That is true but if you were paying a player say 100k a week at the top level of the game, would you be happy that he was potentially harming his health and his fitness? I think in this day an age when footballers know the risks and effects of smoking on fitness and other aspects that could affect performance surely it's very unprofessional for a professional athlete to smoke? I don't have an issue in general with smoking(apart from feeling like you're walking through a smoke storm when leaving the Amex:lolol: ) just think if it was me paying them 100 k a week as a top level athlete I'd be extremely pissed off

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
... potentially harming his health and his fitness?

thats just it, potential isnt it. a 21 yo having a few smokes at the club once in a while is not going to have any notable effect on thier health or fitness. though i am surprised it isnt in their contracts to no smoke, when things like not riding motorcycle or scuba or anything else remotly dangerous is.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
At the top end every aspect of a footballers physical and mental well being is assessed and looked after by the club to ensure he is at his peak. Seems a bit crap that they then go and smoke.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
thats just it, potential isnt it. a 21 yo having a few smokes at the club once in a while is not going to have any notable effect on thier health or fitness. though i am surprised it isnt in their contracts to no smoke, when things like not riding motorcycle or scuba or anything else remotly dangerous is.

Exactly.

seagull_in_malaysia

Aug 18, 2006
Reading
I'd be very surprised if it wasn't already in their contracts. I'm pretty sure footballers are quite regulated on what they are allowed to eat and drink as it is, so it would seem strange if smoking wasn't included either.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012

Should it be banned? Seems pretty disgusting that football fans pay these guys huge wages only for them to not actually take care of themselves like the top athletes they are supposed to be, surprised by Jack Wilshere as well always seemed like a very sensible lad. Thoughts?

Why should it be banned? Are footballers not entitled to a private life?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Truth is, footballers in the UK are in the main thick shits. No way do they regard themselves as athletes like, say, Spanish players or Italian players do. Completely different culture. The concept of looking after your body is not uppermost in their minds, if its there at all. So the likes of Gazza end up cleaned out via the courts by their ex-wife and agents and via the internet by chancers. Lambs to the slaughter really. If it wasn't so pathetic , you'd almost feel sorry for them. Our lot celebrate their stupidity right up to the point where their New Best Mates stop answering their calls.

Stumpy Tim

Football fans pay their wages? Big laughs. I think Arsenal pay their wages, largely funded by their Russian owner and Sky

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Why should it be banned? Are footballers not entitled to a private life?

I'm entitled to a private life. But if I do something that affects my company at the weekend I don't expect to keep my job.

Footballers are athletes, it's their job. If they get fat, smoke and generally don't look after themselves they should be in breach of contract.

Football is an odd job, but it's a job all the same. I often defend footballers at work when non football fans don't understand the excuse of tiredness. I'm often tired at work but my performance isn't judged on 90 mins work once a week.

It's different from 99 9% of jobs for the reason above. Once major difference is the responsibility towards the company (the club) and the customer (us) to maintain a level of physical fitness.

For that reason I would think that not smoking would be a basic condition of employment.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here