Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Book Alert! The Hate Game: Benn, Eubank and British Boxing's Bitterest Rivalry

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Looking forward to this IMMENSELY - out later this month. There was a fantastic snippet in this morning's free sheet Sport magazine. Superb insight. Loving it already!

9781471129032.jpg

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Ooh, I'll be having a read of that.

I'm quite a fan of both boxing and Ben Dirs.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Bit of a shame that it wasn't extended into a three-way thing, because Steve 'Celtic Warrior' Collins was right there in the mix and arguably top of the tree amongst the three. Fantastic times for fight fans for sure!

Stumpy Tim

Collins would never have beaten Eubank before Eubank almost killed Watson. Was never the same fighter. Watson was immense though - the best of the lot. Eubank hit him with one (un)lucky punch - Watson battered him otherwise

They were truly great days of boxing. I'll definitely be buying the book

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Collins would never have beaten Eubank before Eubank almost killed Watson. Was never the same fighter. Watson was immense though - the best of the lot. Eubank hit him with one (un)lucky punch - Watson battered him otherwise

:thumbsup:

The quotes I was reading in the freesheet 'Sport' handed out today, if representative of the book, promise a superb read. Fantastic time for fight fans!

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Met Ben Dirs over in Vegas for the Hatton v Pac Man fight a few years back, he interviewed myself and a friend at the weigh in for the BBC to get our view of the fight. He's a really nice bloke and knows his boxing inside out. Thanks for the heads up OP.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Met Ben Dirs over in Vegas for the Hatton v Pac Man fight a few years back, he interviewed myself and a friend at the weigh in for the BBC to get our view of the fight. He's a really nice bloke and knows his boxing inside out. Thanks for the heads up OP.

:thumbsup:

Hopefully they'll be doing some book publicity. Ideally in the same room at same time :lol:. Having said that, not seen Eubank posing outside MyHotel or anywhere else in town in yonks for that matter. Used to randomly see him most weekends. Do hope he's OK.

Last edited:

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I was at boarding school when there fights happened. The tv rooms were packed to the rafters. Brilliant atmospheres from all seven corners of the school (seven tv rooms).

A shame boxing doesn't have the same grab nowadays. Presumably something to do with the tv rights.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
As a matter of interest, has anyone else on NSC squared up to Eubank in a boxing ring apart from THPP? Story is on here somewhere.

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill

Was there for that one. Awesome night. As you say, Watson battered Eubank but he found the killer instinct when he needed to and noticeably held back in every fight afterwards. Built up as Gooners (Watson) v Spuds (Eubank) and kicked off outside the ring between fans of both clubs throughout the night. Then both groups saw a mob of Brighton in the north stand and piled over there for a bit more.

Eubank could have been one of the best ever but knew what he was capable of and that psychologically scarred him every time he got in the ring. Collins was great but not sure he'd have beaten Eubank Pre-Watson. Couldn't stand Benn but brave as fook. Probably the best times for British Boxing I've ever seen.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Would I be right in thinking all these magnificent fights were free on pre-Sky terrestrial telly? Don't recall missing any.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Would I be right in thinking all these magnificent fights were free on pre-Sky terrestrial telly? Don't recall missing any.

Were on ITV, the original Benn v Eubank was on a Sunday night. Eubank signed for SKY after the second Benn fight and commenced his bum of the month series whilst Nigel Benn stayed with Frank Warren on ITV until Wazza signed for SKY too in 1995

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Were on ITV, the original Benn v Eubank was on a Sunday night. Eubank signed for SKY after the second Benn fight and commenced his bum of the month series whilst Nigel Benn stayed with Frank Warren on ITV until Wazza signed for SKY too in 1995

Used to love that ITV theme music for the boxing....

Der, Der, Der, Der, Der......... Der, Der, der!!!

:)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here