Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Downside of Promotion

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Unfortunately I share an office with a Palace fan and, as is the custom, I greeted him this morning with "who are you getting beaten by on saturday". The conversation then turned with him saying he written off this year and doesn't really care anymore.

Would this happen to us?

If we were promoted and had a team that were going to be humiliated week after week, would you lose interest and wait for relegation into a suitable (and exciting) league or would to relish watching the top names in the English game even though they were playing for the other side?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
1) With a squad like Palace have got I doubt there's much enjoyment to be had. We'll never know but I reckon we'd have made a much better fist of the Premier League than they have so far. I think your colleague is probably bored with the pisstaking and trying to find a way of shutting you up ???

2) Last time we were in the top division I didn't enjoy it anywhere near as much as the getting there.

3) When we do go up I'll be there even if we are shit. Can it be worse than the last couple of years at the Goldstone or Gillingham?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Yes, I do think that is a massive downside to getting promoted to the Prem. While we would all hope to do a Swansea or a Norwich, if you did start like Palace, then the realisation that you are out of your depth would hit home pretty quickly, and by November you're just wishing the season would end. the days of winning more often than not - albeit in a lower division - would look very appealing.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
TB would not allow us to just stand still and just get relegated as he is a fan a very wealthy one, but still a fan. My biggest concern is would the increased ST sales being in the Premier be as many as those who will not renew as they cant be sure of what day we will play and when it is not 3.00pm Saturday it could be on Sky. I have a heard a few say thy wont renew if we get promoted because of this

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I'd like to think that we'd have been able to attract some decent players and strengthen our squad. Hull and Cardiff have managed to make a decent and promising start; although I would expect things to get tougher for them over the course of the season as their strength in depth is examined as injuries and suspensions kick in.

Unfortunately I share an office with a Palace fan and, as is the custom, I greeted him this morning with "who are you getting beaten by on saturday". The conversation then turned with him saying he written off this year and doesn't really care anymore.

Would this happen to us?

If we were promoted and had a team that were going to be humiliated week after week, would you lose interest and wait for relegation into a suitable (and exciting) league or would to relish watching the top names in the English game even though they were playing for the other side?

Found a very similar thing with qpr fan last season,not happy with cost of tickets results etc etc........... Is it time to cut the prem loose? The championship clubs could then budget on a level playing field:moo:

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Yes, I do think that is a massive downside to getting promoted to the Prem. While we would all hope to do a Swansea or a Norwich, if you did start like Palace, then the realisation that you are out of your depth would hit home pretty quickly, and by November you're just wishing the season would end. the days of winning more often than not - albeit in a lower division - would look very appealing.

I guess this articulates the point well and I should have posed the question as:

What's more important, the bragging rights of PL football or watching your team win albeit in a lower league?

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
We have the 14th biggest catchment area & the 12th highest ST sales. Our long term place is higher than we are now, whereas tinpot minnows at sub 20k attendances at this level forever, are where they should be. We have every thing in place for a long stay at higher level, apart from promotion & the £120m to cement it (eg Saints who will be there for many seasons)

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
T'is exactly the same conversation I have with my pet palace.

I think we'd be better prepared, and attract better players, esp with a considerably better manager.
The problem being the cost of these players, and who pays!!

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
If and when we do get promoted then I think the first couple of seasons would be attractive and exciting, even if the reason were only because we were struggling to survive. Beyond that I can't really see the attraction - established as a mid table club with no real chance of winning the league or even getting into Europe would be quite depressing IMO.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
What's more important, the bragging rights of PL football or watching your team win albeit in a lower league?

I'm not sensing much in the way of "bragging rights" from the Palace fan I work with, are you?

personally, I would only want promotion when I feel we have a decent stab at holding our own in the division above. Crashing back down, getting stuffed every week is not something I want in exchange for the bragging rights of being a Premiership side.

Sadly though, I felt we had a chance of being capable of holding our own if we'd gone up last season. We'd have kept hold of Bridge, and would have had the money to add the 3 or 4 players that we'd have needed. Obviously I wasn't factoring in a run of injuries like we've had. That would screw any newly promoted side.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Who can say?

It depends on:

a) Our strength when we get promoted.
b) How wisely our manager uses the funds given to him. We don't know who our manager will be if/when we get promoted.

What is certain is that Tony Bloom will have a similarly prudent approach to Palace's board who have been sensible with the windfall that has come their way. They don't want to send the club straight back to the financial bad times of the past.

I believe we were a stronger team than Palace last season, as the league table demonstrated, and I don't think we'd have had to strengthen quite as much as they have. As such the available money could, say, have been spread around 5 or 6 higher quality players instead of buying up everyone that no-one else wanted.

We might not be that strong if/when our time comes, however. Last year was a golden opportunity for the Albion and we ****ed it right up. We just have to hope that it wasn't THE golden opportunity.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
3) When we do go up I'll be there even if we are shit. Can it be worse than the last couple of years at the Goldstone or Gillingham?

Begin crap in the PL will be better than being crap fighting against relegation to the conference! Nothing will get that bad and never again.....

I'd rather be crap in the PL than crap in the CS/L1/L2.

Who's to know how good or crap we'd be, I'd like to find out though, any real fan would. Football is about ups AND downs. Premiership football at the Amex would be great, even if for just the one season, we could say to kids/grandkids that "we were there". There is a whole generation of fans who weren't alive (or barely) 30 years ago, I bet they'd like to see what supporting a team in the top flight is like.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
I do not want us to go up, I love the championship and see nothing positive about going up, and I havn't even seen us there before!

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
If you didn't want to go up then doesn't that mean the best thing that could happen is you have a good season in the Championship and just narrowly miss out on promotion?

i.e. what we did last season.

And did that feel good?

DID IT ****

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota
I'll try to answer this without bias :

First of all, we're in a situation where one of the most important factors for future success revolves around our stadium. Unlike yourselves, we don't have someone who's willing to spend £100 million + on a new stadium, nor is it likely we'd actually find a site close to Selhurst which would suit all parties. Falmer itself is a great stadium but you can't tell me the location is ideal, so our priority has to be build 2 new stands over the coming years and make Selhurst a respectable stadium.

With regards to relegation this season, I wouldn't write us off just yet but the likelyhood is that we are going to struggle, big time. Would Brighton be any different? Well, you'd have to spend a heck of a lot to compete, look at Cardiff for example blowing £10 million on Gary Medel, would Bloom be willing to do the same? Honestly, I'm not sure he would. I don't think we've bought particularly bad players but Holloway in his typical fashion neglected to bring in a top defender and instead acted sentimentally by giving Ramage and Gabbidon new contracts, one of whom is out on loan already.

Whether or not we go down for me isn't the issue, our target has to be to become a stronger force possibly next season in The Championship. Zaha aside, our squad has the potential to be far stronger than it previously was in The Championship so whilst relegation wouldn't be met with a smile, I'd say it's just the beginning of our potential revival as none of us expected promotion so soon. WBA are a fine example of this, it's not something that will happen overnight but we're receiving revenue at present that most clubs in The UK can only dream of.

On a side note, The Prem really is a god awful league in so many ways, I won't pretend to be excited at the prospect of playing Barnsley at home again on a cold January evening in front of a sub-standard crowd but The Prem really isn't all that, a proper rival in the division would help though!

phazza

Aug 17, 2012
TB would not allow us to just stand still and just get relegated as he is a fan a very wealthy one, but still a fan. My biggest concern is would the increased ST sales being in the Premier be as many as those who will not renew as they cant be sure of what day we will play and when it is not 3.00pm Saturday it could be on Sky. I have a heard a few say thy wont renew if we get promoted because of this

i find this odd as we have loads of ko's that haven't been 3pm. i remember going something like 80 days without one! what with the university and transport issues we have change our ko times more than most

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
Just look at how people have reacted to a couple of bad results this season. Do you think people will be happy with losing to teams like WBA and West Ham?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
You gotta go for promotion and aim for the stars else you might as well knock the club on the head.

The next best thing to promotion is to be able to say to your Palace supporting workmate, as I did tonight on my way out the office, good luck tomorrow, hope you manage to keep it down to single figures :lol:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here