Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

An outsider's observation...

Eagle94

Banned
Oct 2, 2013
Afternoon. Palace season ticket holder here and occasional reader of NSC. Never felt the urge to register and post until now but something has been really bugged me the last few days so I could not resist! Let me elaborate...

Obviously you're finding it tough going this year in The Championship and being a Palace fan I can't help but get a sense of :O about it, especially as most of you predicted a top 6 finish at the start of the season. Not only have you made a poor start but now with the loss of your only decent striker in Ulloa, I feel you will struggle big time and you could now get caught up in a relegation battle this year if you're not careful.

However reading The Big Board these past few days, I can't help but find a lot of the comments unrealistic...in fact, they're down-right deluded! It seems that some of you have given up on this season already in terms of promotion which is fair enough but many of you seem to think along the lines that "Next year will be our year" "Give Oscar a season to build and then promotion next season" etc etc. I'd honestly can't understand why you think this? Who honestly buys into this "we're taking our time to slowly build up the best squad to get us promoted" crap that you keep coming out with? :shrug:

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that your 4 best players are your keeper, Matt Upson, Liam Bridcutt and Ulloa. If you fail to go up this year then surely you have no chance of keeping Kuszczak, Ulloa and Bridcutt and Upson will be 35/36 next season and on his last legs as a Championship defender. You also have a huge debt currently and FFP will see the purse strings tightened even more in the coming years so I can't see quality replacments coming in. You only have to look at your budget signings this season. Average playes like Conway on loan and poor free transfer signings like Kemy Agustein.

It seems that a lot are deluded on here but maybe i'm wrong and they can explain or elaborate there opinion on this thread. So my question is this...being realistic, how do you think you will do in the next 2-3 given what I have said above seems very much reality?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Afternoon. Palace season ticket holder here and occasional reader of NSC. Never felt the urge to register and post until now but something has been really bugged me the last few days so I could not resist! Let me elaborate...

Obviously you're finding it tough going this year in The Championship and being a Palace fan I can't help but get a sense of :O about it, especially as most of you predicted a top 6 finish at the start of the season. Not only have you made a poor start but now with the loss of your only decent striker in Ulloa, I feel you will struggle big time and you could now get caught up in a relegation battle this year if you're not careful.

However reading The Big Board these past few days, I can't help but find a lot of the comments unrealistic...in fact, they're down-right deluded! It seems that some of you have given up on this season already in terms of promotion which is fair enough but many of you seem to think along the lines that "Next year will be our year" "Give Oscar a season to build and then promotion next season" etc etc. I'd honestly can't understand why you think this? Who honestly buys into this "we're taking our time to slowly build up the best squad to get us promoted" crap that you keep coming out with? :shrug:

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that your 4 best players are your keeper, Matt Upson, Liam Bridcutt and Ulloa. If you fail to go up this year then surely you have no chance of keeping Kuszczak, Ulloa and Bridcutt and Upson will be 35/36 next season and on his last legs as a Championship defender. You also have a huge debt currently and FFP will see the purse strings tightened even more in the coming years so I can't see quality replacments coming in. You only have to look at your signings this season. Average playes like Conway on loan and poor free transfer signings like Kemy Agustein.

It seems that a lot are deluded on here but maybe i'm wrong and they can elaborate there opinion on this thread. So my question is this...being realistic, how do you think you will do in the next 2-3 given what I have said above seems very much reality?

We came 4th last season (above you). We're still a VERY GOOD Championship side - that's not going to change overnight. I can still see us making playoffs this year, and Oscar is going to be given time and funds - he's an INCREDIBLY exciting prospect as a manager.

Meanwhile, we're all laughing at you looking like the worst team the Prem has EVER seen, with a shit manager, poor finances and an absolutely ****ED stadium. Our long term prospects are much, much, much, much, much better than yours. Enjoy this 1 season. SAVOUR it. :thumbsup:

midnight_rendezvous

Aug 10, 2012
The Black Country
Everyone with half a brain knows that with a decent run in the championship you can find yourself mid table one month and top 3 a few weeks or months later. Take Reading the season before last as a prime example of how strong form at the end of the season is just as, if not more important, that the form at the beginning of the season.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patreon
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that your 4 best players are your keeper, Matt Upson, Liam Bridcutt and Ulloa. If you fail to go up this year then surely you have no chance of keeping Kuszczak, Ulloa and Bridcutt and Upson will be 35/36 next season and on his last legs as a Championship defender. You also have a huge debt currently and FFP will see the purse strings tightened even more in the coming years so I can't see quality replacments coming in. You only have to look at your budget signings this season. Average playes like Conway on loan and poor free transfer signings like Kemy Agustein.

It seems that a lot are deluded on here but maybe i'm wrong and they can explain or elaborate there opinion on this thread. So my question is this...being realistic, how do you think you will do in the next 2-3 given what I have said above seems very much reality?

And how's your season going :lolol:

DontFeedTheTrolls2.jpg

CPFC G

Dec 24, 2011
To be fair there are 36 games to go, That is a hell of alot of points to play for.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

Are the teachers on strike today in Croydon ?

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Usually I welcome fans of other teams onto this board, even Palace. It can generate healthy debate and "banter". However, your post is so misguided and ill-informed that I am more than happy in this instance to tell you to F*CK OFF.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
We came 4th last season (above you). We're still a VERY GOOD Championship side - that's not going to change overnight. I can still see us making playoffs this year, and Oscar is going to be given time and funds - he's an INCREDIBLY exciting prospect as a manager.

Meanwhile, we're all laughing at you looking like the worst team the Prem has EVER seen, with a shit manager, poor finances and an absolutely ****ED stadium. Jedinak is particularly hilarious.

This. We are not deluded. The OP is wrong. We have a sensible manager who is taking his time to work out where his priorities lie, what he already has in the way of talent, and where he needs to strengthen. This is in stark contrast of buying up just about everyone who was available during the close season, to the extent that even some of these had to be left out of your squad of 25, and still only being above Sunderland, who are in an even bigger mess. My wife is a season ticket holder at St Mary's - not a Brighton supporter at all - and she and her friends on Saturday said you offered no opposition at all.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field

I read with a fairly open mind until the highlighted sentence, at which point it became clear that you had bugger all idea what you were talking about. The vast majority of sensible Albion fans realise that we are in for a tough season, which hasn't been aided by a horrendous spell of injuries to key players in most positions. However, we've got an incredibly exciting manager in charge, who had a fairly slow start to the season in Israel during his previous job but went on to win the league in by a margin of 10 points with a goal difference of +41, which considering they only play a 26 game season is a pretty good effort. We have a sensible chairman who will give OG time to settle him. Refreshingly, we have been blooding youngsters as well so far this season, which will only increase as the Academy takes shape.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I think it is about interpretation of the situation. We have been very unlucky with injuries, but I don't think we are as dire as some on NSC seem to think. I do, however, disagree about the 'rebuilding' comments. Poyet built a squad that played a very particular style of football. Oscar is clearly a very capable coach, but I think it will take some time for him to assemble a squad in his image. I don't believe next year will be our year, nor do I believe that we are in danger of being caught in a relegation battle this year.

I think we will (eventually) do well this season. The building blocks all seem to be there, but things aren't quite clicking. Oscar had the same experience in Tel Aviv - a dodgy start followed by a strong rest of the season. I don't think Oscar will replicate that success here, but I do think we should realistically be aiming for the play-offs again.

I do worry that Bridcutt and Ulloa will go if we don't go up, but its only October so I'll keep calm for now. I also disagree about Agustien (but many will agree that he is a poor signing) - I think he looks to have quality, but is far lacking in terms of fitness.

As a Palace fan, you have some guts posting on here - I don't agree with you, but at least you laid your thoughts out in a constructive way.

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010

yer yer see you next year:ffsparr:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Debt is not huge as it is interest free and can be converted to shares.

I agree about not being able to choose when to go up. I haven't written this season off. When we get some of our key men back there will still be loads of games left to push on. Who knows?

Not sure you really have any right to criticise our signings .Look at yours!!! (I know that is a childish response but it's also valid)

Finally as you are so much more knowlegeable than the collective that is NSC where do you think we will be ?

Actually, ignore that last bit, I am not that interested in that.

I THINK we will be a strong Championship club with a solid fanbase and that has been around the top 6 most of the time. (I HOPE we will be a lower Premiership team showing steady improvement)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here