Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Toby Agdestein strangeness.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I've been vaguely following how Toby has been getting on at table-topping Inverness Callie Thistle.

He has been on the bench, for every single game they've played this season. Since 17th August, he has been brought on, in EVERY game, for the last few seconds, regardless of whether they are 3 goals up, the game is in the balance or whatever.

17.08.13 v Motherwell, came on after 84 minutes
24.08.13 v Celtic, 84
31.08.13 v Hearts, 89
14.09.13 v Kilmarnock, 86
21.09.13 v Aberdeen, 89
24.09.13 v Dundee, 90
28.09.13 v Hibernian, 89

All very odd. I'm going to speculate that he has been made some kind of promise regarding salary, and that he gets brought on pretty much purely to pocket the appearance fee.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I've been vaguely following how Toby has been getting on at table-topping Inverness Callie Thistle.

He has been on the bench, for every single game they've played this season. Since 17th August, he has been brought on, in EVERY game, for the last few seconds, regardless of whether they are 3 goals up, the game is in the balance or whatever.

24.08.13 v Celtic, 84
31.08.13 v Hearts, 89
21.09.13 v Aberdeen, 89
24.09.13 v Dundee, 90
28.09.13 v Hibernian, 89

All very odd. I'm going to speculate that he has been made some kind of promise regarding salary, and that he gets brought on pretty much purely to pocket the appearance fee.

Good SNOOPING, HKFC. I love a good set of stats like that on a Friday afternoon. For what it's worth, I think your theory may be correct.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I think you're right too, HKFC. There was something about contracts on the BBC site, I think, the other day, and how they are drawn up, and what is taken into consideration. One of them getting appearance fees for anything more than 90 seconds.

Oh, here it is: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23923904

The key bit: "A 30-second substitute appearance could be worth as much as £5,000." I think this was for the PL, but even so, he's probably getting a nice few quid.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I noticed this with Solly March a few times, I reckon that might be happening just to trouser him a few kid extra

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
I think you're right too, HKFC. There was something about contracts on the BBC site, I think, the other day, and how they are drawn up, and what is taken into consideration. One of them getting appearance fees for anything more than 90 seconds.

Oh, here it is: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23923904

The key bit: "A 30-second substitute appearance could be worth as much as £5,000." I think this was for the PL, but even so, he's probably getting a nice few quid.

Cheers. Interesting stuff.

I noticed this with Solly March a few times, I reckon that might be happening just to trouser him a few kid extra

Quite likely, and within reason its no bad thing, if it keeps a young player happy. Some of the kids (at the Albion) will only be on a couple of hundred quid a week, so a decent appearance bonus is probably a far more tangible reward for a spell of hard work in training, that a pat on the back. People might counter that he's brought on 'for the experience', but when it's LITERALLY for a few seconds, it surely isn't that at all.

Or perhaps he a big lump of a centre forward and he' brought on to hold the ball up??

Possibly, but he's been brought on EVERY game, regardless of the state of the match. "Oh we're 3-0 up with 2 minutes to go. Better get big Toby on quick".

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The strikers have been scoring !! One of them 8 in 8. Im sure Toby will get more game time at some point

There are two constants in ALL their match reports. One is Agdestien coming on in the 89th minute. The other is Billy McKay scoring.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
If Toby had stayed he'd probably have had more game time this year at the Albion.

Dec 29, 2011

What an odd thing to deduce. Surely the club would be looking to cut costs, so would play him as little as possible? The more likely suggestion (if there is a reason at all) is he has something written into his contract that he must play a certain % of games or the club would pay him more.

IIRC this happened with Deulofeu, Everton's loan fee will be halved if he plays a certain % of matches for them.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
What an odd thing to deduce. Surely the club would be looking to cut costs, so would play him as little as possible? The more likely suggestion (if there is a reason at all) is he has something written into his contract that he must play a certain % of games or the club would pay him more.

IIRC this happened with Deulofeu, Everton's loan fee will be halved if he plays a certain % of matches for them.

That's fair. You could be right - my point is that it must be some kind of contractual / financial angle, as it can't possibly be for purely footballing reasons.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
football club getting him on to earn a few quid out of the kindness of their hearts? doubtful

trying to minimise how much they have to pay us by way of appearance-based clauses/costs? likely

I never suggested it was out of kindness. they might for example, have a salary cap / structure which meant they could only offer him a certain weekly amount, but in order to get him to sign, made a 'gentlemen's agreement' that he would be getting a 'guaranteed' appearance fee, on top. Of course they probably thought he'd actually be GOOD and that they'd actually WANT to give him more playing time.

As to your second bit - it's certainly not to minimise payments to us. (ignoring the fact we released him, anyway) has there ever been a transfer in history (not loans, like the Delefou example above) whereby the buying club paid MORE to the selling club if the player made LESS appearances? That would be insane.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

24.08.13 v Celtic, 84
31.08.13 v Hearts, 89
21.09.13 v Aberdeen, 89
24.09.13 v Dundee, 90
28.09.13 v Hibernian, 89

Presumably he's in the Inverness Callie Thistle development squad.

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
By the end of the season then he plays 90 mins = 1 game gets paid for playing 1 game = 1 bottle of scotch

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here