Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sussex release Gatting (and Miller)

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cricket/24387115

"Sussex release Joe Gatting and Andrew Miller
Sussex have released batsman Joe Gatting and seam bowler Andrew Miller following the end of the 2013 season. "

It's a shame Gatting was even more of a shit cricketer than he was footballer really. Would have been great to see it work out for him at Sussex. :(

Telford Seagull

Jul 5, 2011
Telford
Dont really think Gatting got a fair go at Sussex. He was a top order batsman yet I barley remember seeing him bat above number 5. He'd play a couple, then miss out and then expected to do well the next time he was picked. Was worth another season

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
Going to Worcester I heard

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Not surprised - he didn't set the world alight there either.

Can see a few more leaving if they can find more quality replacements - there are a few Australian batsmen not quite good enough for test cricket who might be available after this winter.

Oct 25, 2003
think gattings problem was that he played both sports at a high level when he was young, never being able to concentrate and excel at one...instead he ended up fairly mediocre at both

shame

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What a mean spirited post about someone who has just lost their job.

He scored 3 centuries and 6 half centuries in his First Class career at an average of 30.

It was a light hearted post that I expected to be taken that way but obviously your user name is not a true representation of you and your outlook on life, so if it offends you sorry,.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Respect to Joe for scoring for the Albion and bagging a ton on his debut for Sussex, all before the age of 21. Amazing.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Respect to Joe for scoring for the Albion and bagging a ton on his debut for Sussex, all before the age of 21. Amazing.

Bloody right. I'd give a body part for that.

Playing both sports is a family trait. Steve played for us but also good club cricket for Preston Nomads. I remember Mike turning out for our reserves at the Goldstone in a testimonial. That he's not quite made the grade for either local club must be devastating. Good luck Joe, hope you get another club and thrive.

Oct 25, 2003
I think playing first class cricket in Division one of yhe County Championship, and professional football in the football league makes home a bit more than 'mediocre'

maybe I was slightly harsh but at the end of the day he failed to make the grade and was released from both. I certainly respect him for clearly being talented at more than one sport to the extent that he was able to briefly make a living from each, but I do suspect that if he'd concentrated at one at a younger age he'd still be plying his trade in the one he'd chosen (all hypothetical of course). But then it's not my career so I can't really judge.....he did once drop a catch from my bowling though when we played for our Primary School team...perhaps that is something that he never quite got over....?

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
It's a shame he has been released. At least he had had the pleasure of playing for Sussex's two biggest sports teams. That is something most of us have dreamt of and would give up a lot for the opportunity. I wish him luck for the future.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here