Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Unluckiest Managerial Start

Jimmy Grimble

In relation to the injuries sustained since Oscar's been here?

Ulloa - played about 50% of competitive games, expected to miss the next six league games minimum
Bridcutt - played one League game, expected to miss the next the next two league games minimum
Orlandi - played one and a bit League games, expected to miss the next four (?) league games minimum
CMS - no games, expected to miss the next six league games minimum
Hoskins - no games (admittedly virtually no different to last two years), expected never

That's arguably three of our best five players unavailable, which includes two (some might even contest 3) players from the spine of the team who were pivotal to success last season. So not only are we missing three of our best individual talents, we have it compounded by the fact the spine of our team - imperative to the success of any side - is broken.

This isn't meant to be excuse making (certainly not for our last two outings), but if we're still in the top half of the table by the time Ulloa, Bridcutt and Orlandi are back fully fit, Oscar will have done a good job.

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
In relation to the injuries sustained since Oscar's been here?

Ulloa - played about 50% of competitive games, expected to miss the next six league games minimum
Bridcutt - played one League game, expected to miss the next the next two league games minimum
Orlandi - played one and a bit League games, expected to miss the next four (?) league games minimum
CMS - no games, expected to miss the next six league games minimum
Hoskins - no games (admittedly virtually no different to last two years), expected never

That's arguably three of our best five players unavailable, which includes two (some might even contest 3) players from the spine of the team who were pivotal to success last season. So not only are we missing three of our best individual talents, we have it compounded by the fact the spine of our team - imperative to the success of any side - is broken.

This isn't meant to be excuse making (certainly not for our last two outings), but if we're still in the top half of the table by the time Ulloa, Bridcutt and Orlandi are back fully fit, Oscar will have done a good job.

good post

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
People spent all of last season moaning about how unlucky we were and we finished 4th. I for one hope we are equally as unlucky this season!

I don't disagree with you and I know it's a cliché but you make your own lucky in this world and you'd hope it will even itself out over the season.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
It happens. We are doing ok. If and it is a if but a win against forest likelihood is we are 3 points outside the play offs with half a team still awaiting a return. He has been incredibly unlucky though

RyFish

Dec 6, 2011
Footballers seem to be made of porcelain these days.

Players are no more fragile now than in the 70s, but now the clubs don't force the players to play through an injury by dosing them up with cortisone injections before every match. You've just got to look at how many players from that era are now virtually crippled to see it's better now.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Our injury list is sensational. It just is. The biggest loss is Andrea Orlandi. Our defensive steel has been boosted by Andrews, but we haven't even attempted to replace Orlandi, although we have wasted money on Craig Conway.

The point to remember though, is that whilst all these people are not able to play for us, we ARE paying them. So we can not just go out and splash a wedge elsewhere without it having consequences on the january budget. For me, financial fair play is why we shouldn't have done the decent thing and kept Will Hoskins because the money we're paying him for doing nothing is money wasted. That said, overall, I think standing by him is the right decision to make as a club but the point remains that FFP does affect the business we can do.

Tough times, but I doubt Oscar is feeling any pressure at all from above. The club know what's what.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Cant someone work out how much in transfer fees our injured players are worth? I am sure there is not a Championship club who could afford to replace that amount of talent. We have been VERY unlucky.

Jimmy Grimble

And he's now without Crofts on Saturday. Terrible luck.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Cant someone work out how much in transfer fees our injured players are worth? I am sure there is not a Championship club who could afford to replace that amount of talent. We have been VERY unlucky.

Ulloa- £7 mill
Bridcutt- £5 mill
CMS- £1.5 mill
Orlandi- £2 mill
Hoskins- £350k
Crofts- £500k

I make the nearabouts £16m Not bad.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Your valuation is made more by your high valuation of Ulloa. Bridcutt and Orlandi who I think you have valued at double their actual selling value.

Yep I reckon you are correct

Ulloa- 3.5 mill
Bridcutt- 3 mill
CMS- 2.5 mill
Orlandi 1.75 mill
Hoskins - 500k
Crofts- 500k

I make that about 11.75 mill. Not bad and IMHO the least that lot is worth amount to over 8 million

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
It's keeping our German doctor in a job and the club have invested in to top quality medical facilities is it working!

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
The unluckiest managerial start has to go to Leroy Roesenior in his second spell at Torquay. Don't think he even made the managerial office!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here