Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

BBC - Crystal Palace Plans Revealed

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I never realised that the original structure burnt down; some things never change.

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
This is my favourite part

"When the palace was moved there in the 1850s the newly laid out park was near countryside, but today it's an urban park with a lot of space already taken up by the national sports centre, car parks, roads and the caravan site."

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

"When the palace was moved there in the 1850s the newly laid out park was near countryside, but today it's an urban park with a lot of space already taken up by the national sports centre, car parks, roads and the caravan site."

snigger :lolol:

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

When I first read that, I thought someone had doctored it lol!

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
On a different note where is the commercial value in rebuilding the site? £500m is a ridiculous sum of money for a heritage site!!

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
It runs the risk of looking like a shopping mall unless they do it properly!

To be honest, it will look like a shopping mall, if they DO replicate the original properly. It looked like the Trafford Centre.
cp-before.jpg

Its a MASSIVE building building, though. If you look at pic 2/4 on the BBC article http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24375547 the smaller white building in the foreground is the Crystal Palace National Sports Centre, which is itself a huge structure.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
That's probably exactly what it's going to be. And by entertainment I'm guessing they mean a punch & Judy show, plus coconut shies etc with a cold dog stand. It's not a Crystal Palace it's another welfare centre.

There.... just edited it for you....that's more like it.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Im more interested in how, in the late 19th century, with no real means of transport apart from horse and cart, they managed to move a building that size from Hyde Park to there?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24375547

OK so it might not have been what you were expecting but I have always been fascinated by this structure and would love to see it replicated.

Totally agree. If it were properly done which, according to an article in the Guardian this morning seems to be the intention, it could be stunning. Apparently the locals in the past have resisted and had thrown out plans to build a shopping mall and other things on the site, so might accept something which did it justice. That sounds dangerously like "good taste" from that particular part of S.E London.

My grandparents and my father could see the flames, glow, smoke or whatever from their doorstep when it burnt down in 1936. Luckily my parents saw the light after they were married and moved eventually to GOSBTS (Worthing) when I was 15 months old, thereby enabling me to escape being a Nigel.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Love some of the banter here...I was ready to leap in. But seriously it was a magnifigent achievement of Victorian engineering...replace today,fine as long as the firm stumps up the cash then fine by me.

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Im more interested in how, in the late 19th century, with no real means of transport apart from horse and cart, they managed to move a building that size from Hyde Park to there?

Always amazed me how the Balcombe viaduct was built back in the days when there was very limited transport. You only really get the scale of it if you walk underneath.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here