Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Albion and T.V.

el punal

Yet again changes to match dates/times have disrupted Albion fans' plans to attend arranged fixtures. In this case, the Watford match being moved from Friday 25th Oct. to Monday 28th. So can anyone come up with a reasonable comprehensive answer to any of the following questions :

1. Do the club have to change match dates if requested by a T.V. company to televise that fixture? Can they refuse or are they bound by Football League rules to honour that request?

2. Does the club receive revenue from the T.V. company for that particular match, and how much?

3. Does the club receive shared revenue (with other league clubs) throughout the season as part of a League/T.V. package deal?

The main reason that I'm asking the above is surely the club would receive a bigger revenue on a Friday night (being the weekend) than Monday, through a higher attendance, with more away fans, higher sales in food and drink and possibly higher sales of Albion merchandise.

Look forward to the responses!

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
1. Yes - you cannot refuse that and the club gets money so is hardly going to refuse.
2. No idea - think i saw a figure of £10,000 mooted somewhere.
3. Possibly as highlights are shown via BBC and Sky.

Higher than normal midweek attendance should be expected for the Watford game as its the 1st day of the school holidays.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Higher than normal midweek attendance should be expected for the Watford game as its the 1st day of the school holidays.

Not necessarily.
What about all the poor blighters like myself and two boys who will miss it now having planned to be away from the Saturday morning? There must surely be plenty of families who are in a similar situation. Thanks sky :(

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Not necessarily.
What about all the poor blighters like myself and two boys who will miss it now having planned to be away from the Saturday morning? There must surely be plenty of families who are in a similar situation. Thanks sky :(

Well, there is that, but those who avoid night games who have kids cant all be going away on holiday.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts

Luke93

STAND OR FALL
Jun 23, 2013
Shoreham
Works out fine for me, I couldn't make that Friday :D I can't answer your questions though. Google showed no defined answer.

stripeyshark

All-Time Best Defence
Dec 20, 2011
Yet again changes to match dates/times have disrupted Albion fans' plans to attend arranged fixtures. In this case, the Watford match being moved from Friday 25th Oct. to Monday 28th. So can anyone come up with a reasonable comprehensive answer to any of the following questions :

1. Do the club have to change match dates if requested by a T.V. company to televise that fixture? Can they refuse or are they bound by Football League rules to honour that request?

2. Does the club receive revenue from the T.V. company for that particular match, and how much?

3. Does the club receive shared revenue (with other league clubs) throughout the season as part of a League/T.V. package deal?

The main reason that I'm asking the above is surely the club would receive a bigger revenue on a Friday night (being the weekend) than Monday, through a higher attendance, with more away fans, higher sales in food and drink and possibly higher sales of Albion merchandise.

Look forward to the responses!

1- yes, you can refuse the live tv. We did for the Doncaster match.

2- yes, there is a fee for the match, no idea how much though!

3- yes, money is given to all FL clubs on top. :)

Barber has also said that Friday nights are best for match revenue.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I couldn't make either day so I'm glad it's being televised. Swings and roundabouts.

Eksman

Aug 9, 2012
On the toilet
Shame as it would of been a decent atmosphere being On a Friday night and the beers flowing. Now we all have work the next morning it's gonna be a 82nd minute rush to train station, stil atleast for the first time ever we get to look forward to a MONDAY

Eagle Slayer

Jul 15, 2007
Worthing
Shame as it would of been a decent atmosphere being On a Friday night and the beers flowing. Now we all have work the next morning it's gonna be a 82nd minute rush to train station, stil atleast for the first time ever we get to look forward to a MONDAY

West Ham at home two seasons ago was a Monday night sky game too

ali jenkins

Thanks to Guinness Dave
Feb 9, 2006
Southwick
I think each team can defer a game being on sky a certain amount of times a season. Not sure how many that is but I would doubt we have used them all already

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Yes, shame it now means I can't take my grandson on his birthday. Monday means it's too late a night on a school day. Sky are a bunch of selfish b******s.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Do we have more changed fixtures than other clubs? Anyone know re: last 2 seasons? I don't remember so many evening games per season or in close proximity (none for 2 weeks then 2 in a short time), Sundays, Fridays, Mondays. Christ didn't we have a Thursday fixture couple seasons ago?

My season ticket gets increasingly unused I know that much! Shame we can't have fixtures that are, we'll, fixed!

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Do we have more changed fixtures than other clubs? Anyone know re: last 2 seasons? I don't remember so many evening games per season or in close proximity (none for 2 weeks then 2 in a short time), Sundays, Fridays, Mondays. Christ didn't we have a Thursday fixture couple seasons ago?

My season ticket gets increasingly unused I know that much! Shame we can't have fixtures that are, we'll, fixed!

This is increasingly annoying to me as well. Seems we have several periods when for almost a month we have no home game and then we get two in 5 days.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Does anyone know why the game couldn't be kept to the Friday and STILL shown on TV? They have Friday night football on Sky, don't they?

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
Does anyone know why the game couldn't be kept to the Friday and STILL shown on TV? They have Friday night football on Sky, don't they?

Boro play Doncaster Friday so may be that's being televised, although I can't really see it being a spectacle for the neutrals.

KJP

Mar 2, 2011
Goring-by-Sea
I'm still waiting for the Bournemouth and I think Blackpool games to be moved, it's going to happen so I don't know why they haven't already done it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here