Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

William Hill Sports Book of the Year

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Can anyone beat 1.
It's not the one you think it is, it's the other one you think it is, and very good it was too.

Thierry Henry: Lonely at the Top – A Biography by Philippe Auclair (Macmillan)
Stillness and Speed: My Story by Dennis Bergkamp (Simon & Schuster)
The Boys In The Boat: An Epic True-Life Journey to the Heart of Hitler’s Berlin by Daniel James Brown (Macmillan)
You Don’t Know Me, But… A Footballer’s Life by Clarke Carlisle (Simon & Schuster)
Running My Life: The Autobiography by Seb Coe (Hodder & Stoughton)
The Outsider: My Autobiography by Jimmy Connors (Bantam Press)
The Sports Gene: What Makes The Perfect Athlete by David Epstein (Yellow Jersey Press)
Dreams Do Come True: The Autobiography by Katherine Grainger (Andre Deutsch)
Immortal: The Approved Biography of George Best by Duncan Hamilton (Century)
Bookie Gambler Fixer Spy: A Journey to the Heart of Cricket’s Underworld by Ed Hawkins (Bloomsbury)
I Am Zlatan Ibrahimović by Zlatan Ibrahimovic, David Lagercrantz and Ruth Urbom (Penguin)
Fear And Loathing in La Liga: Barcelona Vs Real Madrid by Sid Lowe (Yellow Jersey Press)
Doped: The Real Life Story of the 1960s Racehorse Doping Gang by Jamie Reid (Racing Post)
Henry Cecil: Trainer of Genius by Brough Scott (Racing Post)
The Metaphysics of Ping-Pong by Guido Mina di Sospiro (Yellow Jersey Press)
Seven Deadly Sins: My Pursuit of Lance Armstrong by David Walsh (Simon & Schuster)
Domestique: The True Life Ups and Downs of a Tour Pro by Charly Wegelius and Tom Southam (Ebury Press)

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Want to read the Ibrahimovic book, and also - although not on this list - Andrea Pirlo's book which is soon to be translated into English. I think it is called, I Pass Therefore I Am. Or something like that.

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
Duncan Hamilton's profiles of sportsmen always get critical acclaim so he'll be in with a good shout. The Harold Larwood ('bodyline' etc) book was superb.

I enjoyed the Charley Wegelius book but fear it will get overlooked by the bigger names.

The David Walsh book should be a good read too, now his relentless expose job on Armstrong has been vindicated, I imagine its written with a mix of vitriol and satisfaction.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Duncan Hamilton's profiles of sportsmen always get critical acclaim so he'll be in with a good shout. The Harold Larwood ('bodyline' etc) book was superb.

I enjoyed the Charley Wegelius book but fear it will get overlooked by the bigger names.

The David Walsh book should be a good read too, now his relentless expose job on Armstrong has been vindicated, I imagine its written with a mix of vitriol and satisfaction.

I've read it. You are correct.

EDIT: Whether that makes it good depends rather on how much you like smug vitriol. I didn't much. Even though he was, of course, right. Nothing so bad as a smug smartarse.

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

I too really enjoyed Charley's book, it's been offered up as a prize for the fantasy winner.

I couldn't be doing with Walsh's book, it was all to much within the Lance-a-thon.

There's not much else in that list that appeals without strong NSC recommendations.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

One of the best sport books I've ever read, if the Best one is half as good, it will be a cracker

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here