Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hypnosis to give up smoking

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I seriously want/need to give up smoking, but I am completely and utterly crap, failing at every attempt. I've started to think about trying hypnosis - has anyone tried it and found it worked?

Also any recommendations for someone in Brighton that does it? I've seen a few on t'interent but know sod all about it so don't know how to tell if anyone is genuine or any good :shrug:

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
I did it and it worked for about 6 months and then one day I just wanted a smoke and did.
It was weird and didn't make me particularly happy. I felt slightly manipulated rather than happy to have given up.

I am back smoking unfortunately, but thinking about going down the e-cigarette route in the new year.

Anyway, the person I used was Ursula James and she was based in Paddington, London.

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
Good luck. Just wondered if you had tried reading the Alan Carr book as it has helped a lot of people.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Allen Carrs easyway. Download the book and kiss the tabs goodbye. It worked for me and all of my mates.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I had a similar story, used to give up for 6 months, or a year, then back on them, then off them etc. I decided to try hypnotherapy, did it in March 2007, and I've been off them ever since, and I've never even been tempted back.

I used http://chrisjones.uk.com/

Govinda Tim

Apr 13, 2012
Brighton
Its not easy giving up smoking. The body produces nicotine naturally and will stop producing it if the body is getting it from another source. Once a smoker stops, it takes time for the body to restart production and this is why we get cravings. It is the body asking for its supply of nicotine. The main barrier to stopping is the cravings and giving into them. E-Cigarettes, although good as an aid, are not the solution in the long term. Although they supply nicotine and none of the poisons, in a measured dose, ultimately you will need to continue using them. Once you stop, the cravings return.

Giving up becomes slightly easier when you realise a few facts. The average person trying to give up smoking will experience about 20 to 30 "cravings" a day. Each of these periods will last no longer than 3 minutes (it seems longer in your head due to time dilation, get someone to time it, you will be surprised!). Once you realise this, then, in reality, you are only actually "Giving Up" for approximately 60 to 90 minutes a day in 3 minute bursts. I found this to be a real help, after all, if I couldn't not smoke for 3 minutes there was no hope for me. Hope this is helpful. :smokin:

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Dont want to put you off trying it , but for me it was a complete waste of money , the 1st thing i wanted after the session was a smoke . Saying that the person who i went with has not smoked since , so i guess its all really a personal state of mind .

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
My missus is half way through reading it. No difference in her smoking so far, hopefully this will change once she's finished it.

That's because you HAVE to keep smoking while you're reading it.

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I had a similar story, used to give up for 6 months, or a year, then back on them, then off them etc. I decided to try hypnotherapy, did it in March 2007, and I've been off them ever since, and I've never even been tempted back.

I used http://chrisjones.uk.com/

Thanks, that's the sort of thing I was looking for. Storrington a bit out of my way, but at least he appears to have accreditations I can compare others with :thumbsup:

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Thanks, that's the sort of thing I was looking for. Storrington a bit out of my way, but at least he appears to have accreditations I can compare others with :thumbsup:

Only half an hour or so from Brighton, if you're driving, otherwise, yes, a bit of a drag, you can do the train to Worthing and the Number 1 bus to Storrington.

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
E cigs stop you coughing and feeling crap in the morning and the feeling of being poisoned. It was easy to get away from the smoke for me - yes i'm still addicted to nicotine, but from a way less detrimental source.

edit - ex-25 years chain smoker.

pasty

Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
E cigs stop you coughing and feeling crap in the morning and the feeling of being poisoned. It was easy to get away from the smoke for me - yes i'm still addicted to nicotine, but from a way less detrimental source.

edit - ex-25 years chain smoker.

The problem I have with e-cigs is that they still feed the nicotine addiction, but are far less satisfying than a real fag, so I end up having a real one :facepalm:

Seagull kimchi

Oct 8, 2010
Korea and India
The problem I have with e-cigs is that they still feed the nicotine addiction, but are far less satisfying than a real fag, so I end up having a real one :facepalm:

Invest in a good e cig (the vaporiser kind) they give you the throat hit and plenty of nicotine - it's pretty much the same sensation and a smidgeon of will power will get you across the winning line : )

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I seriously want/need to give up smoking, but I am completely and utterly crap, failing at every attempt. I've started to think about trying hypnosis - has anyone tried it and found it worked?

Also any recommendations for someone in Brighton that does it? I've seen a few on t'interent but know sod all about it so don't know how to tell if anyone is genuine or any good :shrug:
Good luck Pasty the best thing I done 6 years ago giving up the smokes. I used the patches but that must be old hat now. Lollies also helped. :thumbsup:

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patreon
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean

Champix did the trick for me, but whatever method you choose good luck :)

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
get pissed off with people with no willpower....was a reasonably heavy smoker until 7 years ago, doctor told me I should pack up for health reasons. Pick a date, do it !

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
I strongly recommend hypnotherapy.

I had it in Billingshurst during a difficult period of my life. Came out of the session and lit a cigarette. About 9 months later when I really wanted to give up, I accessed the hypnotherapy techniques and haven't got near a cigarette since.

I have absolutely no doubt that if you want to give up, and use the techniques you will be given, it will be successful.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here