Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

O/T. School Inset days - what do NSC's teaching contingent think about this...

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm not a teacher but used to be married to a teacher so hopefully I'm allowed to comment !

It's a step in the right direction but really, why can't teacher training take place during the SIX weeks summer holiday ?? As for the bit in the article about it being bad disrupting students education by taking them out of school - strange that doesn't seem to be such an issue when teachers decide to strike like the NUT members yesterday !

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Well done them. Seems ridiculous to do anything different to be honest.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
A lot of teacher training is to allow them to come up to speed with new government / OFSTED rules and regulations, the continual tinkering with the curriculum and the like. If these authorities got their act together enough to release all of this stuff at a given point then this would make sense, but of course they don't so these days are spread throughout the year by most schools in an attempt to keep their staff as up-to-date as they can.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
I'm not a teacher but used to be married to a teacher so hopefully I'm allowed to comment !

It's a step in the right direction but really, why can't teacher training take place during the SIX weeks summer holiday ?? As for the bit in the article about it being bad disrupting students education by taking them out of school - strange that doesn't seem to be such an issue when teachers decide to strike like the NUT members yesterday !

The implication is that on inset days the teachers aren't working, which really isnt the case.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The implication is that on inset days the teachers aren't working, which really isnt the case.

Errr .... no. The implication is that teachers get 13 weeks holiday a year. Even if you suggest they use half of those holidays for work it still gives them 6 and a half weeks holiday. That's one and a half weeks more than the average worker - I hardly see taking a week in the summer holidays ( or do it at Easter or during a half term if necessary ) is impinging in their holiday.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
A far better approach in my opinion (although I'm sure that I will be ridiculed and shown to be a clueless buffoon in short order) would be to stagger summer holidays so that, for example, The north & scotland goes in June, the Midlands in July and the south in August. I would also Make the May and October half terms two weeks, similarly staggered. It would put paid to holiday companies ripping off families because there would be kids off school for most of the summer.
It would also mean that when you went on holiday you wouldn't have to put up with ghastly northerners moaning.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As a parent it seems an excellent idea. Unfortunately if every school did it then the holiday companies would just hike their prices for two weeks!

Not if each school chose their own week they wouldn't. they couldn't all do their training at the same time anyway, as presumably the outside agencies / instructors / etc involved in the training would not be available.

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Funny that when I aked last year to take my daughter out of school for 1 day, so we could go to a christmas market in europe, as a family, I was told no chance, not educational. Two weeks ago, a letter comes home about a school trip to the christmas market in Lille. Seems they can change the rules to suit.

I am in agreement that they should do the weeks 'training' on the last week of summer holidays. Reducing their holiday by a week. Thats if they want to put the childrens education first.

Another option, allow children 2 weeks max holidays per year outside of the scheduled holidays.

jgmcdee

Mar 25, 2012
Another option, allow children 2 weeks max holidays per year outside of the scheduled holidays.

Why is it so difficult to understand that school time is for teaching kids, and that it's full as it is? Add a couple of weeks, randomly throughout the year, every different child at a different time, for the teachers to attempt to compensate for, and your kids will do significantly worse at school.

lugsy

Sep 2, 2009
Errr .... no. The implication is that teachers get 13 weeks holiday a year. Even if you suggest they use half of those holidays for work it still gives them 6 and a half weeks holiday. That's one and a half weeks more than the average worker - I hardly see taking a week in the summer holidays ( or do it at Easter or during a half term if necessary ) is impinging in their holiday.
Unless you are married to a teacher, are a teacher or know one you will not realise how much overtime they do. My wife goes at 7.30am gets back at 5.30 then usually carries on working untill 9.30 ish. Then also plans on a Sunday for the Monday. Holidays are a joke. May half term is spent doing reports, I actually take my daughter away to give my wife peace and quiet to do it. Again she works silly hours to do it. Summer holidays usually means she gets about 3-4 weeks off as the rest is spent getting the new classroom ready etc. I know what you will say bigger fool her but she is a damn good teacher and conscientious, not all are mind.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail

They also work morning, noon and night during term time.

I've just finished my teacher training and have a teaching assistant role to begin with.

Frequently I was planning for four different groups per lesson, extension work. Then creating resources for each lesson. Coupled with assessing completed work.

Creating, tailoring individual education plans. Dealing with parents. Mid term planning. Ad infinitum.

I would say I only really had one day off a week where I didn't do anything school related, but that was soon absorbed by essays.

Remember also that staff in education don't have the luxury of picking and choosing when they want a break.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
Is there any way, now that academy schools or others outside of centralised control, could use flexible holidays as a means of attracting new pupils? If a non state controlled school said we will offer our kids different holiday periods outside of the norm surely that would suit teachers ( who I suppose have families too and would appreciate the chance of cheaper holidays) and would attract them there as well as it would benefit the kids?

Obviously there are some times ( exams) where all schools need to be in attendance at the same time to prevent chaos but otherwise why not?

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

Sigh. This gets said every time. DO other people do training days in their holidays too then? No of course you ****ing don't.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1

Teachers get longer holidays because they do far more than the average 9-5 employee does on a work day. I have worked in an office, a supermarket, a call centre and as a teacher. I can tell you now that the teaching job does far, far more hours over a year than any of the others by some distance.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012
Unless you are married to a teacher, are a teacher or know one you will not realise how much overtime they do. My wife goes at 7.30am gets back at 5.30 then usually carries on working untill 9.30 ish. Then also plans on a Sunday for the Monday. Holidays are a joke. May half term is spent doing reports, I actually take my daughter away to give my wife peace and quiet to do it. Again she works silly hours to do it. Summer holidays usually means she gets about 3-4 weeks off as the rest is spent getting the new classroom ready etc. I know what you will say bigger fool her but she is a damn good teacher and conscientious, not all are mind.

Well said - I have had similar experiences through my life, being married to a teacher, and now have a daughter-in-law who is a teacher and very conscientious. Most people do not know the half of it.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
Sigh. This gets said every time. DO other people do training days in their holidays too then? No of course you ****ing don't.

No but most of us don't get 13 weeks holiday ( I get 4 1/2 and most people get no more than 5 ).

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here