Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Oscar's interview on Player

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Q: "Does that mean now you've got to look at a loan striker to come in?" (Referencing Leo's injury)
A: *Small nod*, "The club knows what we need from the start", followed by "We have Ashley Barnes"

He looked uncomfortable. My take is that he absolutely wants a loan striker, but either can't find one or, imo more likely, there aren't the funds to get one.

Hmmm. The start of some tension between Oscar and the club, perhaps? Or am I reading too much into it?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We've hit the what?

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I would not be at all surprised if it was a similar case last season when Barnes was suspended and Ulloa was left as the only real striking option during our run in.

To be honest, the failure to secure a loan striker then probably caused us more damage than not getting one in yet this season.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Q: "Does that mean now you've got to look at a loan striker to come in?" (Referencing Leo's injury)
A: *Small nod*, "The club knows what we need from the start", followed by "We have Ashley Barnes"

He looked uncomfortable. My take is that he absolutely wants a loan striker, but either can't find one or, imo more likely, there aren't the funds to get one.

Hmmm. The start of some tension between Oscar and the club, perhaps? Or am I reading too much into it?

he definitely looked shifty when asked the question

and will someone please buy him some indigestion tablets

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
I don't think the club want to fork out 10 grand a week and bring in a striker like Barn Door Billy who will be ineffective and not a decent addition to the side.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Stephen Ward for one game ?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patreon
Jan 3, 2012

One possible take on it is that the club and Oscar (and Oscar is part of the club) both would dearly love to find the right loan striker, that they are working on it together, and that it is not particularly easy to find the right person. In other words, yes I think (and hope) you are reading too much in to it.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
One possible take on it is that the club and Oscar (and Oscar is part of the club) both would dearly love to find the right loan striker, that they are working on it together, and that it is not particularly easy to find the right person. In other words, yes I think (and hope) you are reading too much in to it.

Accepted. I guess it depends on how you interpret his body language and pauses. He was definitely uncomfortable, but as you suggest, that discomfort may simply have been to do with the fact he didn't really have a prepared answer and was nothing to do with a disagreement about budget. As I typed that last clause I suddenly thought "Hang on. He should have known that question was coming. Shouldn't he have prepared better?"

I do think Oscar is much much less likely than the previous guy to diss the club's commercial management. That doesn't necessarily mean he agrees with it though.

Too early to tell, I guess.

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
He knows what we need, we know what we need but the club and a few on here are happy with what we have got. Barnes injury or suspension and even mid table is pushing it and on current form that is not an over reaction.

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Odd that funds were released happily for Conway despite the fact that he is below KLL and WB in the pecking order. Surely that cash would have been better served on a forward.

Buy hey - what do I know?

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Odd that funds were released happily for Conway despite the fact that he is below KLL and WB in the pecking order. Surely that cash would have been better served on a forward.

Absolutely!

To the first para, not the second!

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
Argus has stated we are after another striker on loan, then week or so later they were increasing efforts after ulloa suspension as replacement for CMS.....from supposedly having targets by Burke, we really only had Obika and he's injured...

It really does make you think what they are actually doing in comparison to what is maybe being said..

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Target man needed short term and if hoskins fails to recover from injury another forward is needed ...simple as that and the club need to decide

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007

I would imagine there is a massive difference in the wages of a two bob Scottish winger compared with the consistent goalscorer that we require to replace Ulloa, see Billy Clarke being quoted as on £18k. That said, someone like Fryatt who Wednesday got in from Hull has scored consistently in this league before and would not be on massive wages, and IMHO we could have done worse than him.

Perhaps the money will be found now depending on how long Ulloa is out for?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here