Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Shirt Numbers on new home kit

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
I have recently had an eye test which said i had excellent vision.

Therefore, particularly in night games, why oh why is is such a struggle to see the numbers on the back of the players shirts with the new home kit? Somebody has posted on 'Ask the Club' but it seems to have fallen on deaf ears.

Does anyone else find this or is it not a problem? (I sit right at the back of the East lower).

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head

Therefore, particularly in night games, why oh why is is such a struggle to see the numbers on the back of the players shirts with the new home kit? Somebody has posted on 'Ask the Club' but it seems to have fallen on deaf ears.

Does anyone else find this or is it not a problem? (I sit right at the back of the East lower).

Yes and I sit in WSL

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
EVERYONE struggles with the bright yellow on white, understandably. I've never used numbers as my way of telling players apart, so not a massive issue for me.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
It's a problem. Stupid design.

The problem is beginning to lessen for me (in WSU) as the season progresses and I learn to recognise the new players by other features (height, colour, running style etc).

However, having numbers that can't be read from any distance kind of negates the purpose of having them at all.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Commentators have also remarked on this. Kamara had great difficulties telling the players apart recently.

Barber was asked about this right at the beginning of the season and said it was because the plain patch had gone. Someone pointed out that black numbers stood out on stripes but he wouldn't have it. It doesn't cost much for numbers so why persist with the yellow?

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
watching the highlights on seagull player the commentator is calling Ulloa...Barnes* - was Ulloa wearing Barnes' shirt or something?

*this is in the first half before Barnes was on the pitch

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
That's why Bruno is so popular, he's the only team member ( when Adam isn't on the pitch ) that is instantly recognisable from the rest. How the WSU manage, I've no idea.

ozseagull

Jun 27, 2013
I've missed the other 49 then !

Have a search then. We had at least 2 after each pre season home game. Maybe 50 is exaggerating but we have had many. Does it actually matter?! We have more important things to address than people in the wsu not being able to see the numbers clearly. FFS. How about just recognising the players because they all look different!

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge

Is it a cunning plan to allow Barnes to trip up a ref and for him not to know who did it?

Brilliant if so.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
That's why Bruno is so popular, he's the only team member ( when Adam isn't on the pitch ) that is instantly recognisable from the rest. How the WSU manage, I've no idea.

The only ones I really struggle with is the triumvirate of Crofts - Andrews - Barnes. Barnes and Crofts run in quite a similar style. Everyone else is pretty easy to tell apart.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Have a search then. We had at least 2 after each pre season home game. Maybe 50 is exaggerating but we have had many. Does it actually matter?! We have more important things to address than people in the wsu not being able to see the numbers clearly. FFS. How about just recognising the players because they all look different!

It doesn't matter to a lot of fans because whenever a player does something wrong, it's Barnes.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Yes, because it can be changed by using black numbers but Barber is so stubborn he won't listen to the fans.

Someone, presumably someone with no interest in ordinary spectators and no experience of being one, made an almighty cock-up for sure - but there might be an issue with people who've bought replica kit if the design was suddenly changed. Even PB and his marketing team might feel that giving replica kit an eight-week shelf life is taking the p somewhat.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
This is possibly the 50th thread on this subject. Does it have to be discussed again?

Maybe not the 50th, but there have certainly been plenty of others ... I started the first one.

And yes I believe it should be discussed as much as possible until the club review their stupid decision to put names/numbers on shirts which are not readable from distance.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here