Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Knives out for Garcia already?

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Reading through NSC after the last 2 games it seems as though there is the start of a tide of opinion against the man....poor tactics or none at all, monotone interviews etc.

Is this really fair? Is ten games really long enough to judge the man, with the squad having suffered from injuries/suspension to key players, the overhang of a failed playoff ...the Poyet saga ..some doubts over the size of his transfer budget etc.

We've gone from 2 creditable draws away at Reading and QPR (we also beat the league leaders earlier), to 2 seemingly disjointed displays, although in both we had the opportunities to take an early lead (Crofts/Ipswich and Leo/Lopez last night) and it is baffling to understand why.

As regards to his interview style ...no he isent as charismatic as Poyet and some peeps are criticising him for not being more 'interesting'...but then Poyet was often moaned at for saying the wrong things..

To me this was always going to be a season of transition from Poyets way to Garcias...and a bit of a roller coaster ride... and if we finish mid table but with improving performances then personally i think it would have been a successful season.

Thoughts?

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Too many Gus arse lickers putting Oscar down because we're not top of the table above QPR and Reading

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I'm not sure I've seen anyone suggest Oscar should go so knives out is a bit strong. Moaning about how we've played is quite understandable especially when you compare it to the slick football towards the end of last season ( the play off games we'll ignore ! ).

I'm of the opinion that all managers should get a whole season to prove themselves - Oscar will hopefully get that and we'll see in May if he's worth keeping.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Knives are certainly not out, I don't think. There has been some perfectly justifiable criticism though. The team selection last night was a really poor, negative one, for a home match against weak opposition. That's the truth, and its not hindsight - I wrote the same before kick off. Start that match with an attacking side, and an fully attacking mindset and we'd have won it.

D

Deleted member 22389

Reading through NSC after the last 2 games it seems as though there is the start of a tide of opinion against the man....poor tactics or none at all, monotone interviews etc.

Is this really fair? Is ten games really long enough to judge the man, with the squad having suffered from injuries/suspension to key players, the overhang of a failed playoff ...the Poyet saga ..some doubts over the size of his transfer budget etc.

We've gone from 2 creditable draws away at Reading and QPR (we also beat the league leaders earlier), to 2 seemingly disjointed displays, although in both we had the opportunities to take an early lead (Crofts/Ipswich and Leo/Lopez last night) and it is baffling to understand why.

As regards to his interview style ...no he isent as charismatic as Poyet and some peeps are criticising him for not being more 'interesting'...but then Poyet was often moaned at for saying the wrong things..

To me this was always going to be a season of transition from Poyets way to Garcias...and a bit of a roller coaster ride... and if we finish mid table but with improving performances then personally i think it would have been a successful season.

Thoughts?

I agree, however I fear that some people might no be so patient. What we don't need is people not renewing their season tickets because we finished mid table. That would then effect our playing budget for other players. At the final whistle there was a very quiet boo from some people. It was either aimed at the ref or the way we played. If it was aimed at the way we played I don't like it. In fact in would be the first time I have heard it since being at The Amex. Does nothing for the players confidence.

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Poyet is history and people need to get over him ffs. He wanted to leave us in ther sh*t before the Plarse game in March. Oscar is learning on the job and cant work miracles in 10 games.

Next season will be the season to judge him, i predict we will see half the team gone as it is essentially Poyet's team and Oscar to bring in his style of players.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
Knives are certainly not out, I don't think. There has been some perfectly justifiable criticism though. The team selection last night was a really poor, negative one, for a home match against weak opposition. That's the truth, and its not hindsight - I wrote the same before kick off. Start that match with an attacking side, and an fully attacking mindset and we'd have won it.

Spot on, couldn`t agree more. Very negative team and Wednesday were poor indeed.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Don't think the knives are out - just understandably disappointment at two very poor performances at Ipswich and last night.

My concern would be that we don't have the players capable of playing the fast-tempo, less touches on the ball style Oscar seems to want to put in place. Last season we did look too slow in possession at times but maybe that was because that was the way our players were able to play a passing style.

I have not started the season expecting anything other than a top half finish. But I would like to see progression throughout the season in terms of how Oscar has the team playing. That won't be obvious after ten games.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Thoughts?

Of course it's not fair, when has opinion on NSC been fair!?

He's been in England a total of about 12 weeks. He's managed the squad in 11 competitive fixtures. He's trying out his squad, looking at how different players work in different roles. He's shown a flexibility to how we play, and even in a poor game like last night, we really had enough chances to win it.

We've got players that need to settle into the club, as well as the squad adapting to what Oscar is looking for from them.

Very promising results mixed with some poor performances as well.

I'm optimistic that Oscar will get this side understanding each other and playing well, and I think personally that we will be challenging the play off spots later in the season, perhaps in a late charge.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter

This.

northernseagull

Mar 12, 2013
Anyone who has the knives out for Oscar already needs a serious reality check... were 1/5 of the way through a season having been without the crux of our team in Orlandi and Bridders (now add that to list Ulloa). Any boo's last night were made at the ref surely, the oompa loompa couldn't ref for toffee.

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Too many Gus arse lickers putting Oscar down because we're not top of the table above QPR and Reading

This is absolutely not the case, what a ridiculous comment. You don't have to be a "Gus arse licker" to be critical of our recent displays. I'm not passing judgement on Garcia until January at least, but last night was one of the worst, most clueless long ball games of football I've seen in years. My sunday league team completes more passes than albion did last night. Bad day at the office or wrong tactics? I'm inclined to say the former. But criticising a woeful performance has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with anyone's opinion on Poyet.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
We spent three years building an identity by playing passing football it educated us all about how beautiful the game could be . But the last two games I'm not sure what we are doing and it doesn't look like the players have either . I know I don't want to see kick and hope like last night

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Does nothing for the players confidence.

Aww, poor them. Thank f*ck they don't work in the nursing profession, for the armed forces or in education.

What other profession(other than being a Cabinet minister) can you consistently do a shit job and still pick up in excess of £100k a year...Sorry if I don't lose any sleep about that.

I didn't boo last night, but I'm certainly not going to have a go at anyone for booing after that performance last night!!!

bluenitsuj

Listen to me!!!
Feb 26, 2011
Willingdon
Oscar needs to get to know the players and gradually it will come. My only worry is that he repeatedly says post match that we played well.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Cannot judge on less than a third of the season gone...he is unlucky being beset by all the injuries....how many other teams have an injury list like us...at least he is trying out the youngsters...would the departed one usedInce,JFC or Solly March by now...I know that GP gave JFC a few cameo experiences...Keep the faith...it will come good.

ROKERITE

Dec 30, 2007
That's the way it is today, it's crazy. Garcia has to be given until the new year at least before any sensible analysis can begin to be made.

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
I agree, however I fear that some people might no be so patient. What we don't need is people not renewing their season tickets because we finished mid table. That would then effect our playing budget for other players. At the final whistle there was a very quiet boo from some people. It was either aimed at the ref or the way we played. If it was aimed at the way we played I don't like it. In fact in would be the first time I have heard it since being at The Amex. Does nothing for the players confidence.

It was aimed at the ref and the linesman's who were last to leave the pitch.

D

Deleted member 22389

Aww, poor them. Thank f*ck they don't work in the nursing profession, for the armed forces or in education.

What other profession(other than being a Cabinet minister) can you consistently do a shit job and still pick up in excess of £100k a year...Sorry if I don't lose any sleep about that.

I didn't boo last night, but I'm certainly not going to have a go at anyone for booing after that performance last night!!!

Actually I agree with part of what you say here.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here