Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Tactics tonight

Yoda

English & European
Was it me or were our front 5 (Ulloa, LuaLua, Spanish, Crofts and Bruno) aloud to roam free for the entire game? Left us with no real shape to speak of apart from a mess.

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Was it me or were our front 5 (Ulloa, LuaLua, Spanish, Crofts and Bruno) aloud to roam free for the entire game? Left us with no real shape to speak of apart from a mess.

It was a shambles no shape at all it looked like the team was announced at 7.44 & told to go out and play.

I am mystified how rohan ince can be MOM against Bolton yet cannot make the team for the next 2 games.
Maybe the fact that he passed the ball to his own teammates in that game did not go down to well.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008

Looked to me from how they lined up at goal kicks etc that it was 4231

Normal back four

Crofts & Andrews deeper

Bruno David & Lua Lua free roles

Ulloa

I thought we missed Crofts going forward today, personally - until later in the second half.

simballs

Jun 11, 2012
Southwick

This may not have been that bad if our holding midfield player did his job well. Unfortunately he let the game pass him by but got away with it because of his goal. Too many times when Greer or Upson had the ball he was either standing alongside them in the defensive line or getting out of their way and not wanting to receive the ball. A big downside to this was the only ball we could play was long bypassing the rest of the midfield. He was also out of position so many times when we didn't have the ball he was totally ineffectual in the role!
That player needs to collect the ball and help feed the players who are roaming. Bridcutt obviously is excellent at it and it also allows creative players to receive the ball closer to our striker or in a position further up the field and in a position to hurt the opposition more.
Andrews just did not do this. Ince does it better and will give us better shape until Bridcutt returns.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
There were clear tactics. It worked briefly and created Ulloa and Dave's chances.
Biggest problem is the players are not bright enough football wise to pull that type of tactics off. They don t appear to know when to pull wide or how to find the space and the passers in the team really struggled. Oscar may as well played me instead of Kemy at least i can pass 5 yards.
Orlandi and Bridcutt are huge huge misses.
Buckley and Conway must also start in wide roles.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
We lack pace and intelligence in our team. LuaLua adds pace but nothing else, Dave adds intellect but needs players to pass to. We are woefully unbalanced currently unfortunately.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton

I thought this. Most of the time we attacked in clumps leaving no-one in the rest of the space on the pitch.

Surrey Phil

Aug 3, 2010
Think we have to give Oscar time to find his feet but some choices tonight were strange & a tad defensive.

BHseagull

Aug 5, 2008
Brighton
The midfield was a shambles tonight. Need better defined roles - e.g. 2 holding midfielders, 1 slightly more adventurous, and then 2 wingers and a linkup midfielder playing in the hole.

We've got the players for it but felt we didn't click at all tonight in midfield. Buckley went missing 2nd half.

Personally, until Bridcutt is back, I think the midfield should look like this at home:

Ince Andrews

Buckley Crofts Lua Lua

Agustein can slot in for Crofts and Conway or Barnes could swap with the wingers. Crofts further back didn't work tonight. Dave needs confidence.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here