Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Dortmund

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Am looking to book a weekend away in December and one of the cheapest flights I have found is to Dortmund. Looking on the internet doesn't seem to be a hugely touristy city but does have the 2nd largest Christmas Market in Germany.

Anyone been around Christmas?? Is it a worthwhile place to go for a weekend break and is it a good Christmas Market?? Also noticed you can get regional trains for next to nothing into Dusseldorf and Cologne, would they be better places to go and have the hassle of a connection to/from Dortmund airport??

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
Am looking to book a weekend away in December and one of the cheapest flights I have found is to Dortmund. Looking on the internet doesn't seem to be a hugely touristy city but does have the 2nd largest Christmas Market in Germany.

Anyone been around Christmas?? Is it a worthwhile place to go for a weekend break and is it a good Christmas Market?? Also noticed you can get regional trains for next to nothing into Dusseldorf and Cologne, would they be better places to go and have the hassle of a connection to/from Dortmund airport??

I'd stay in Cologne. All those bits of North West Germany are closely connected by rail. Did NYE in Cologne a few years back and it's great - second only to Munich as a Central European destination in my opinion. Did a few days in Dortmund during the World Cup and it's a nice enough place but Cologne has far more going for it.

cowburn86

Sep 30, 2011
Berlin
You can only fly directly to Dortmund from Luton anyway so you might as well fly from Gatwick to Cologne (it's a bit nicer than Luton). Stay a couple of days in Cologne it's just over an hour on the train to Dortmund which is alright for a day. Heading over for the Stuttgart game on the first weekend of November, check in advance as German TV moves the games (e.g. the Stuttgart game is on a Friday night). Also if you can get a ticket in the Südtribune (south wall) it's well worth it as it's all standing and 25,000 behind the goal, usually costs an extra 20euro or so but would definitely recommend. Enjoy.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
When I lived in Frankfurt, I had gf in Dortmund, so I had to go there at weekends... I thought it was shit tbh, but Dusseldorf wasnt toooo bad. and close enough

Biscuit

Native Creative
Jul 8, 2003
Brighton
Dortmund really isn't worth it. Kinda like visiting Coventry.

Just pay a bit extra and go and see a decent bit of Germany, it's an amazing country.

Sam-

Feb 20, 2012
Cologne is my favourite winter break. Beautiful place, beautiful beer, beautiful people. Terrible football though.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Not been to Dortmund but highly recommend Köln. Lovely city.

BHAWise

Oct 5, 2011
Seaford
Went to Dortmund a few weeks ago for my stag do . Wasn't really much there other than the stadium. Which is unbelievable btw it's not really worth going to unless you want to watch the football. That south stand was unreal to see in the flesh.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I quite like Dortmund - it was a massive brewing city until the last 20 years (when a lot of breweries closed down). It's not a pretty place but friendly enough - certainly better than Coventry.

But Cologne is the boss: some great beer and the Dom is worth checking out - it's certainly the best place in that part of the world (avoid Essen at all costs)

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
I'd consider flying into/staying in Dusseldorf from Gatwick. The S-Bahn will take you to Dortmund direct, either from the airport or the city centre. It's nearer than Cologne too.

It's also worth getting a travelcard thingy that covers the region. As long as you stay off the ICE, you can get around dirt cheap and covers everywhere you may want to see - including Cologne.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here