Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Daily Mail

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
We have a woman at work wo starts all of her stories with "did you hear about that [insert terrible] thing? It's terrible isn't? I don't think I'll ever [insert action related to story] ever again".

She's a Daily Mail reader.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Even by their abysmally low standards...they've gone completely nuts over this haven't they? The plot's gone, if it was ever there.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The thing I don't understand is why Ed Miliband doesn't go for the jugular by pointing out the Daily Mail's support of Adolf Hitler, and compare that to his father serving for Britain...

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
And Jeremy H(c)unt is just as bad for using it to score cheap points

That's as bad as publicly supporting the Nazi party? OK then...

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
I'd laugh it off as amateurish shit-stirring, if it wasn't for the fact that so many people seem to be influenced by it.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The Daily Mail is full of wrong 'uns. This is the paper that gave a favourable review for Sex and the City 2. 'nuff said.

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
The thing that always amazes me is that I've yet to meet anyone who admits to buying it -- but a lot of people clearly do. Is it something they have delivered under a plain wrapper; is it like voting Tory (well clearly it is in a sense) in that people do it in the privacy of the voting booth, but are ashamed to admit it to their mates because of what it says about them?

Agree with the other posts though. They've completely lost the plot on this one. Even if Milliband's father had hated the UK (which as far as I can see he didn't) there's no case for using that as a stick to beat his son with. And as for Hunt equating Ralph Milliband's not being a supporter of the free market with not being pro-British, that kind of smacks of McCarthyism to me.

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
I don't have to read the Daily Mail to know what they're crapping on about. I just have to tune in to Vanessa Feltzs radio London Phone in each morning as invariably it is based on some reactionary bollocks designed to divide opinion such as "do Muslim rapists need to be treated differently as the Koran says women's opinions don't count?" Or should benefits claimants be entitled to live in £2 million houses".

I did some work for Lady Rothermere once. It told me all I needed to know about why working class people should NEVER vote for the Tories or read the Tory press.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
The thing I don't understand is why Ed Miliband doesn't go for the jugular by pointing out the Daily Mail's support of Adolf Hitler, and compare that to his father serving for Britain...

The Daily Mail has a cheek, given its shameful past. Before they indulge in their low smear tactics, they should explain the words of their owner, Lord Rothermere, in the 30s:
'I urge all British young men and women to study closely the progress of the Nazi regime in Germany. They must not be misled by the misrepresentations of its opponents. The most spiteful distracters of the Nazis are to be found in precisely the same sections of the British public and press as are most vehement in their praises of the Soviet regime in Russia.
They have started a clamorous campaign of denunciation against what they call "Nazi atrocities" which, as anyone who visits Germany quickly discovers for himself, consists merely of a few isolated acts of violence such as are inevitable among a nation half as big again as ours, but which have been generalized, multiplied and exaggerated to give the impression that Nazi rule is a bloodthirsty tyranny.
'My dear Fuhrer everyone in England is profoundly moved by the bloodless solution to the Czechoslovakian problem. People not so much concerned with territorial readjustment as with dread of another war with its accompanying bloodbath. Frederick the Great was a great popular figure. I salute your excellency's star which rises higher and higher.'.

PG (with thanks to my mate Kevin the Tiger for researching the quote)

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
The Daily Mail is for right wing loonies without the intelligence to understand The Telegraph
n

Leighgull

Dec 27, 2012
The Daily Mail has a cheek, given its shameful past. Before they indulge in their low smear tactics, they should explain the words of their owner, Lord Rothermere, in the 30s:
'I urge all British young men and women to study closely the progress of the Nazi regime in Germany. They must not be misled by the misrepresentations of its opponents. The most spiteful distracters of the Nazis are to be found in precisely the same sections of the British public and press as are most vehement in their praises of the Soviet regime in Russia.
They have started a clamorous campaign of denunciation against what they call "Nazi atrocities" which, as anyone who visits Germany quickly discovers for himself, consists merely of a few isolated acts of violence such as are inevitable among a nation half as big again as ours, but which have been generalized, multiplied and exaggerated to give the impression that Nazi rule is a bloodthirsty tyranny.
'My dear Fuhrer everyone in England is profoundly moved by the bloodless solution to the Czechoslovakian problem. People not so much concerned with territorial readjustment as with dread of another war with its accompanying bloodbath. Frederick the Great was a great popular figure. I salute your excellency's star which rises higher and higher.'.

A proud tradition which they aim to maintain. It always amazes me that so many Jews seem to work for the Mail...I'd have thought they'd boycott it forever.

Rothermere really was the most odious anti Semite and Nazi apologist even after the war. And when I worked for Lady "bubbles" Rothermere..so called because she was a hopeless drunkard...the love of Adolf had not faded.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
The thing that always amazes me is that I've yet to meet anyone who admits to buying it -- but a lot of people clearly do. Is it something they have delivered under a plain wrapper; is it like voting Tory (well clearly it is in a sense) in that people do it in the privacy of the voting booth, but are ashamed to admit it to their mates because of what it says about them?

Agree with the other posts though. They've completely lost the plot on this one. Even if Milliband's father had hated the UK (which as far as I can see he didn't) there's no case for using that as a stick to beat his son with. And as for Hunt equating Ralph Milliband's not being a supporter of the free market with not being pro-British, that kind of smacks of McCarthyism to me.

Oi Soistes,I vote Tory and don't care who knows, but have never read the Mail and never will!!

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004

My in-laws buy it. Then sit there tutting and shaking their heads while reading it.

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
I find it amazing the way they bang on about how 'this proud nation' has gone to sh@t and yet their website has got to be the most chavtastic celebration of celebrity culture.

Although I only go there to see pics of Abby Clancy. ;)

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
It's a great read on a Sunday. Excellent sports pull out and the Event mag is a good read. Just saying

PS: the rest of the paper is sh*t though

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Oi Soistes,I vote Tory and don't care who knows, but have never read the Mail and never will!!

This. The two don't go hand in hand no matter what people try to make you think. Whilst it's a shocker of an article, I would wager that there is some public interest if a man with Prime ministerial ambitions, often quotes people who have written and praised Marxist doctrine. That being said, as it's his Dad, they probably should have left well alone.

cunning fergus

Jan 18, 2009

So your point is that a leopard cannot change its spots?

In its own way then isn't that exactly what the Mail are alledging against Miliband's old man?

Fact is if you are a commited Marxist (as he was) then the state as it in the UK is an incongruious concept to him.............to quote Marx:

"The executive of the modern state is nothing but a committee for managing the common affairs of the whole bourgeoisie".

The UK hasnever been like the old soviet union because it is literally ****ing STEEPED in the aristocracy and bourgeoise...........so he must have absolutely ****ing hated this country purely in a political theoretical sense at the very least.

All this bollocks about Miliband's old man patriotic marxist is ****ing laughable...........its an oxymoron.

Fact is though, Miliband Sr wasnt a Marxist at all, he managed to create a portfiolio of property in London and Oxfordshire and used his patronage and influence to get his progenies into Oxford. Clever they may have been but they were hardly a pair of Alan Turings either...................he became the very thing he despised.

So there we have it, not a very edifying spectacle in my view and actually I think Clegg called it right, but on the bare facts the Mail has a point. In fact if they really wanted to smear Miliband's old man.................they would use his real name.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here