Fatboy Stenno

Feb 26, 2007
Haywards Heath
Look what I found in the loft earlier! Mid Sussex-20131001-00344.jpg

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Is that the one where Vinicombe got some of the scores wrong in the promotion campaign along with some of the goal scorers. Think he had us beating Spurs 2-1 at home when in fact it was 3-1 and in the last game against Blackpool, he had Ward scoring two when in fact he only got one and Horton the other.

edit: having checked, it was the 'Albion, An illustrated history of Brighton and Hove Albion FC' published Nov 78 where the above mistakes were noted.

As for Vinicombe, whilst I appreciate his tenure as the Albion reporter, I was never quite enamoured with his reports which quite often seem to depict a different game to the one I had witnessed. Having noted the mistakes in the most recent season that that book covered, I had little faith in the reporting and stats for seasons preceding my following of the club.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
I admit that I live almost perennially in the past and supposed glories which never really existed, but your site remains ****ing marvellous and I salute you for it. Probably the best website ever

Thank you so much! It means a lot to know that fans appreciate the site :)

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Is that the one where Vinicombe got some of the scores wrong in the promotion campaign along with some of the goal scorers. Think he had us beating Spurs 2-1 at home when in fact it was 3-1 and in the last game against Blackpool, he had Ward scoring two when in fact he only got one and Horton the other.

edit: having checked, it was the 'Albion, An illustrated history of Brighton and Hove Albion FC' published Nov 78 where the above mistakes were noted.

As for Vinicombe, whilst I appreciate his tenure as the Albion reporter, I was never quite enamoured with his reports which quite often seem to depict a different game to the one I had witnessed. Having noted the mistakes in the most recent season that that book covered, I had little faith in the reporting and stats for seasons preceding my following of the club.

And don't forget the photo of 'Colin Sullivan' on page 94...

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
One of the three books he wrote around that time - 'Albion' (a club history), 'Up, Up and Away' (promotion season) and 'Super Seagulls' (first season in the top flight). I've got all three, all signed by Wardy, Nobby and co.

Agree with the Vinicombe reports thing. Sometimes he did seem to be watching a different game. Does anyone else remember when the Argus published a football special at 6pm on a Saturday, which meant you could read his match report (and see the scores from other games - in the days before mobile internet!) on the way home? There used to be a newspaper seller in Churchill Square - used to hang around waiting for it to be delivered before catching the bus.

The tight deadline meant that anything that happened towards the end of the match just got a passing mention, whereas the first half was always covered in depth! I think they had three headlines ready to go - one for if we won, one for if we drew and one for if we lost. My mates and I always used to say he wrote most of his reports before the match had actually kicked off...

Still a legend though. Was a thoroughly nice chap by all accounts too.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
One of the three books he wrote around that time - 'Albion' (a club history), 'Up, Up and Away' (promotion season) and 'Super Seagulls' (first season in the top flight). I've got all three, all signed by Wardy, Nobby and co.

Agree with the Vinicombe reports thing. Sometimes he did seem to be watching a different game. Does anyone else remember when the Argus published a football special at 6pm on a Saturday, which meant you could read his match report (and see the scores from other games - in the days before mobile internet!) on the way home? There used to be a newspaper seller in Churchill Square - used to hang around waiting for it to be delivered before catching the bus.

The tight deadline meant that anything that happened towards the end of the match just got a passing mention, whereas the first half was always covered in depth! I think they had three headlines ready to go - one for if we won, one for if we drew and one for if we lost. My mates and I always used to say he wrote most of his reports before the match had actually kicked off...

Still a legend though. Was a thoroughly nice chap by all accounts too.

You could guarantee Peter O'Sullivan being man of the match too from JV!

kevo

Mar 8, 2008

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here