Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Poyet as possible manager

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
I'm a Fulham supporter living in Brighton. There's a lot of speculation among our fans and on the messageboards about the prospect of Jol getting sacked and Poyet stepping in. A lot of my Albion supporting mates reckon he was a good manager but something went very very wrong at the end. I'm also dubious about the way he defended Suarez.
Please enlighten me:
- what was he like as a coach, tactician and motivator?
- what were his plus and minus points?
- was it him who laid an egg in the Eagles' dressing room?

Thanks, and I'm hoping we make your evening on 21st October when we get 3 points at Selhurst Park.

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
I'm a Fulham supporter living in Brighton. There's a lot of speculation among our fans and on the messageboards about the prospect of Jol getting sacked and Poyet stepping in. A lot of my Albion supporting mates reckon he was a good manager but something went very very wrong at the end. I'm also dubious about the way he defended Suarez.
Please enlighten me:

Thanks, and I'm hoping we make your evening on 21st October when we get 3 points at Selhurst Park.

Is that name an unfortunate choice based upon your team's home ground, or a confession?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i think Gus would really suit Fulham... except for proximity to Chelsea. to the questions, he's a very good coach, very good motivator (anyone disagree, i point you to El-Abd). tactical... a tad myopic. he plays nice football, but lacks pace and no plan B. and cant win from behind. other minus is he keeps talking how much he'd like to manage Chelsea/Spurs/Leeds/whoever the journo poses. he didnt lay an egg, but he did crap on us after the game saying we'd hit the ceiling.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Positives - He took a lower league players and made them play passing football, what he did here can't be underestimated. He made some decent signings. Decent to watch if you like the passing game.

Negatives - No plan B if plan A fails. The press go to him for quotes about everything because they know he'll give them something juicy to print. Won't make any secret of the fact he wants to manage Chelsea.

Personally after what happened here I now question his temperament. When someone takes a chance on him I'm interested to see how he copes with the big egos in the premier league, it wouldn't surprise me if he falls out with players.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
i think Gus would really suit Fulham... except for proximity to Chelsea. to the questions, he's a very good coach, very good motivator (anyone disagree, i point you to El-Abd). tactical... a tad myopic. he plays nice football, but lacks pace and no plan B. and cant win from behind. other minus is he keeps talking how much he'd like to manage Chelsea/Spurs/Leeds/whoever the journo poses. he didnt lay an egg, but he did crap on us after the game saying we'd hit the ceiling.

Positives - He took a lower league players and made them play passing football, what he did here can't be underestimated. He made some decent signings. Decent to watch if you like the passing game.

Negatives - No plan B if plan A fails. The press go to him for quotes about everything because they know he'll give them something juicy to print. Won't make any secret of the fact he wants to manage Chelsea.

Personally after what happened here I now question his temperament. When someone takes a chance on him I'm interested to see how he copes with the big egos in the premier league, it wouldn't surprise me if he falls out with players.

Aaaarrggghhh!

Such a tired old lazily-peddled urban myth.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He changed our way of playing completely around. We went from relegation candidates in Lge 1 to 4th in the Championship within 3.5 years. His tactics were cautious at times but we also won games 5-1 and 6-1. The vast majority of players spoke well of him, with one exception who is still out of work. His win ratio makes him the 2nd most successful manager that we had

Plus points He believes wholeheartedly in what he is doing, he loves football, gets totally involved.

Minus points He is totally honest to the point of being reckless and speaks out when he should be more diplomatic or keep quiet. I don't think he'll change in that respect.
He does want to do things his way, which, when it was successful, was great. As for his departure, many say they know the reasons but until it is revealed officially, then we don't know.

No way. That has been vastly exaggerated by the media and fans alike. It seems very likely that the Palace coach driver had an accident in one of the cubicles and it has all been blown out of proportion.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Tactically pretty sound, very defensive away from home, essence of the game is keeping possession, but the style of possession wasn't very penetrating. Gus style possession is done as much for defensive solidity as offensive creativity. He was a great draw for foreign talent which served us very well in the Championship, not sure if that draw will be as potent in an established premiership team full of internationals. Seemed like a good manager, and nobody is sure what happened at the end, but his repeated statements of personal ambition were always going to be interpreted as a backhanded insult to the ambitions of his employers, and for me it was the final straw when he came out with them moments after losing the play-off.

Big mouth, big ego, but to say he was not successful at Brighton would be an attempt to re-write history.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Tactically pretty sound, very defensive away from home, essence of the game is keeping possession, but the style of possession wasn't very penetrating. Gus style possession is done as much for defensive solidity as offensive creativity. He was a great draw for foreign talent which served us very well in the Championship, not sure if that draw will be as potent in an established premiership team full of internationals. Seemed like a good manager, and nobody is sure what happened at the end, but his repeated statements of personal ambition were always going to be interpreted as a backhanded insult to the ambitions of his employers, and for me it was the final straw when he came out with them moments after losing the play-off.

Big mouth, big ego, but to say he was not successful at Brighton would be an attempt to re-write history.
Interesting. It was the quotes after the play-off that caught my attention as well. I was putting myself in Brighton's shoes and thinking it was a pretty crass thing to say.
Fulham supporters would be very suspicious of his desire to manage the Filth (as we lovingly refer to our upstart neighbours down the road), and the style of play sounds very similar to Jol's (much to the frustration of many fans).

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

yes, lazily peddled, but not a myth. he lacks tactical creativity, and sets out his teams to play his way and sticks with that. unless you would like to regale us with the tales of those striking substitutions, the formation changes, tactical embelishments that lead to us overhauling defeats with emphatic wins?

i was going to put this aspect might be different with better quality players, didnt flow.

Exactly. We got promoted from League 1 on a night when we went behind in the first 15 seconds of the game. Some fans have the memory of a goldfish.

i think the 2 year old exception rather proves the point.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Aaaarrggghhh!

It really isn't. I don't think it was an accident that we almost never lost when we went in front and never won when we went behind in the latter years. Oddly Gus DID have several plans in his first couple of seasons but as the stakes increased he played it more and more safely.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here