Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

12 inches...

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
...from possible death if you have travelled through Balcombe Tunnel during past three years. On South East Today, now.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
"Thousands could have died" or to put it another way, no-one died (not that I am belittling the danger but at least it was exposed before anything bad happened)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Inside Out is broadcast on Monday, 30 September on BBC One South East and South at 19:30 BST as well as South East Today. You can watch it now.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
These tunnels should be inspected more than what they're doing now and with competent people, not someone, no disrespect, but not someone out of university or college with a degree in one hand and a torch in the other.

Not that he's bitter or anything :lolol:

Czechmate

Oct 5, 2011
Brno Czech Republic
I think I remember reading on here , back in the 80's I think someone put their head out of the window on the way home from football and got killed . Perhaps checks should of been made then but H&S was not an issue then.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I think I remember reading on here , back in the 80's I think someone put their head out of the window on the way home from football and got killed . Perhaps checks should of been made then but H&S was not an issue then.

I remember that....

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham

Certainly there was a chap I was at school with in the 70s, on one of the old slam-door trains, was leaning out the window just before the tunnel and the door opened, with him on it - he was pulled back by another passenger just in time. That would not have been pretty.

It was a Liverpool fan after a match at The Goldstone, he stuck his head out the window in Patcham Tunnel and something, a bracket I think, took half his head off.

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
From what I understand of the programme, it took a whistleblower to expose the failings.

The programme didnt really expose anything, the Rail Accident report did.....and that was released a while ago. It slated Network Rail in the report and exposed the failings.

The BBC have only decided to cover it now as its 2 years since it happened.

So the company put people's lives at risk, and saved money. Will they be fined for this?

Probably not, besides Network Rail are Publicly funded, so if the government fine them, it will come out of the public pocket into the governments.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here