Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Derby - Eric Steele Appointed as Coach. Schteve Appointed as Head Coach.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Is this really our Eric Steele - just seems so long ago he played for us ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
he was at Man U last season

and visited Balfour Jr in 1979 to give us kids tips on saving

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Just wondering what is he expected to bring to them that Nigel Clough couldnt other than possibly contacts at Old Trafford, but most of them will have gone by now, that is assuming his appointment is as manager not GK Coach under another experienced manager.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
He was goalkeeping coach and United for a number of years.

He also came to Steyning Grammar School in 1977 or 1978, to do a talk to us 10/11 year olds. I was newly living in the UK at the time, he is the REASON I support the Albion. Up until then all my football knowledge was pretty much what I read in Shoot/Goal magazine, normally delivered 2 weeks late, to the various far flung parts of Europe that classed as home for me. Tony Currie was my hero, and whatever team he played for was 'my' team. Then along came Eric Steele.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Just wondering what is he expected to bring to them that Nigel Clough couldnt other than possibly contacts at Old Trafford, but most of them will have gone by now, that is assuming his appointment is as manager not GK Coach under another experienced manager.

He's been appointed GK coach under Steve McClaren who is the new head coach.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

He is only coach... Steve McClaren is 'head coach'

PFJ

Not the JPF ..splitters !
Jun 22, 2010
The Port of Noddy Holder
Used to drop on his pub in Ashbee (near Castle Doninington ) on the way back from a few Northern away trips that would takes us through the East Midlands on the way home. This was late eighties/early nineties .Always pleased to see us and usually chucked a crate of beer in the mini bus for the journey home.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
He should be on our Heroes Wall or whatever it is called.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
The question how would we feel if we had appointed Mr.Mcclaren and is crew? I would of been disappointed but like any manager would of given him a chance.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
You are right on that. He was GK coach at Derby for 4 years before going to Villa, according to wikipedia.

He did play for us as well, bit early in my fan career but IIRC he was understudy to Mark Wallington, but played quite a few games. I'm trying to think positively about Schteve. Head coach is the right role for him, Eric Steele is a very good appointment. We have fantastic set of young players and more coming through, if we can just organise ourselves and make ourselves difficult to beat it'll be a start....

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Much as I liked Eric Steele, I can't help hoping Derby end up in relegation trouble. Clough's sacking appears to me to be a bit crazy and a big gamble.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here