Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Weekend in Paris

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Any one got any tips for a weekend away in Paris? Where to stay? What to see? etc.

Not being the most travelled of gents, I haven't a clue where to start but want to surprise my wife for her birthday...

And it's supposed to be romantic.

Seagrrl

Jan 22, 2012
Hove
Sacre Coeur is worth a visit and you can pay to go up the towers inside and you get some great views of Paris. If you like relics they have plenty in the crypt there too.
The Catacombs are fascinating but not for the squeamish. In the 18th centuary they reburied millions of people in some old mines and made pretty patterns out of their bones.
The Louvre is amazing but it depends on how much you enjoy museums. I could've spent days in there.
The Musee D'Orsay is an art gallery in an old (think St Pancras, not Hove) railway station and worth a visit, particularly for the Degas.
But I'd start a weekend in Paris with a glass of champange in the champagne bar at St Pancras and take advantage of the heated seats if it's cold!

Practicle tips... get carnet which are books of 10 metro tickets. The ticket machines have English options if you don't want to ask for them. The metro doors don't open for you, watch the locals as they flick the handle up to find out what to do. Trying to speak French, even if it's just saying hello and asking for the menu, will get you a lot further than only speaking English. Don't hang around the Gare du Nord as it's not the nicest part of Paris.

Enjoy!

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Don't bother is my sincere advice. It smells vaguely of sewage, is full of Romanian pickpockets and a thimble of coffee costs about three quid. I was working there recently and the highlight of my trip was sitting on my laptop case on the metro in about 45 degree heat having armpit sweat dripped on my head from the obese african man holding the steady strap above me whilst someone whose arse was near my face kept unleashing some killer garlic and Pernod farts.

Zut allors! Tres horribles! Mon dieu.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
Sacre Coeur is worth a visit and you can pay to go up the towers inside and you get some great views of Paris.

This bit, you get some great views back across Paris including the tower which obviously don't get from a trip up the tower itself. Worth the trip for that alone.

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Pack an extra credit card it can get very pricey eating and drinking around Notre Dame.

My personal highlights of my time in Paris where: Palace of Versailles, the Catacombs and a French guy singing "hit me baby one more time" on the piano in a bar. Mrs Van Winkle and I purchased a museum card which got us into most of the Museums at a reduced rate. Can't remember how much it cost and which museums but we pretty much saw every tourist attraction going in 2 1/2 day. The only thing I didn't get to do was visit the grave of Jim Morrison.

Stick to using the Metro where you can. Easy to use and cheap.

blue2

Apr 21, 2010
It's fantastic be careful as you would in any large city but the Louvre if you like museums is out of this world in my humble I think it's best I have been in could spend a week in just the one museum, we did a whole weekend two of us three days inc travel hotels all food and drink entry into all the sights including a trip on the river £150 total, did not eat out to keep the costs down just baguette and chesse bottle wine sitting by the river waving at the tourists going by on boats

Last edited:

Eggmundo

U & I R listening to KAOS
Jul 8, 2003
Thanks all. I don't think a weekend is going to be enough looking at the replies!

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
And it's supposed to be romantic.

If you want romance you've picked the right place. A romantic jesture that the good lady wife loved was writing our names on a padlock attaching it to the railings on the Solferino footbridge and lozing the key in The Seine.

hybrid_x

Banned
Jun 28, 2011
i think its a smelly shithole.

super expensive.

everyone is obsessed with how they look.

hide in some galleries....or some of the ancient churches (one has the merovinian kings buried in a crypt - go down there and meditate and i guarantee you will have an experience).

also reseach the alchemist Fulcunelli's book "mysteries of the cathedrals" - and goto Notre Damne with very new eyes.

if you fly with ryan air you will land a zillion miles from the city and the bus will cost more than the flight.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Thanks all. I don't think a weekend is going to be enough looking at the replies!

Oh, it's not. I've been about 50 or 60 times and there's always something new to see

Plenty of sound advice above. I'd reiterate the advice about tourist places: eating and drinking around Sacre Coeur, Notre Dame and (especially) the Champs-Elysee will cost you an arm and a leg - particularly if you sit outside. There are plenty of cheaper areas - although not very salubrious.

I'd base myself around the university area - it's not the cheapest but it's not ultra-expensive either. Plenty of places to eat and drink round there. I like the Rue Mouffetard, it's full of restaurants (including one that only does cheese dishes) but there's plenty of choice.

The metro is cheap and convenient - never use Parisian taxis - but Paris is small enough to do lots of walking too.

I can't add much to the recommendations, they're perfectly sound: bonne chance et bon yoyage

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
If you want romance you've picked the right place. A romantic jesture that the good lady wife loved was writing our names on a padlock attaching it to the railings on the Solferino footbridge and lozing the key in The Seine.

I've seen that in Malaga too. Another vote for a visit to Monmartre and the Sacre Coeur, and a trip on the Seine would probably go down well.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Never mind going up Sacre Coeur to get a view of Paris with the Eiffel Tower. Go up Montparnasse Tower and get a view of Paris with the Eiffel Tower and the Sacre Coeur.

As some have said, just walking around is the best way to get to know a big city. People who make a dash for the Metro all the time don't realise how close together many of the sights are. I do the same every time in London as well - the Underground distorts distances and makes you psychologically think the centre is bigger than it actually is.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
As some have said, just walking around is the best way to get to know a big city. People who make a dash for the Metro all the time don't realise how close together many of the sights are. I do the same every time in London as well - the Underground distorts distances and makes you psychologically think the centre is bigger than it actually is.

Totally agree, a simple walk around will help you get your bearings.

Try starting at Les Invalides and then walk to The Effiel Tower, Arc de Triomphe, Champs Elysees, Place de La Concorde, Louvre, Hotel de Ville and finish at Notre Dame. It's a cracking walk and takes in alot of the attractions in the cantre of the city.

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
Totally agree on the walking bit, we walked everywhere when we went a couple of years ago for other half's birthday. Stayed near Montmartre, Black Cat Hotel, very nice and decent price, close to Moulin Rouge, which we went to which was excellent. Have fun.

willyfantastic

Mar 1, 2009
stayed there for 4 days for last years french open and loved it. we stayed in a boutique hotel called 'Hidden Hotel' which is right next to the Arc de Triumphe and very close to a VERY good restaurant, but i forget the name. great location as its near a tube stop and not too far from the train station you arrive at from Eurostar. Perfect for waking up, having a wander around and having breakfast in a cafe watching the city. also got it on a Eurostar deal including the travel, so very good price

Hamilton

NSC Patreon
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Absolutely brilliant city. Love it.

Not sure where you are staying or what your budget is, but on our last visit we stayed here - http://www.hoteltourmaubourgparis.com/en/ and it was fantastique!

As everyone has said, walk and metro Paris. It's a beautiful city to just look at. If you go up to the Sacre Coeur then make sure you amble down between the Abessess, Blanche and Pigalle metros. There's some great cafes and it feels like the Paris version of Notting Hill.

It's predictable, but take a boat cruise down the Seine (if it's dry, which it may well not be). And then, walk back down the river and explore the bridges - take a padlock and a small magic marker pen with you (you'll see what I mean when you get there).

Also, pop over and see Oscar Wilde's grave - along with the groups still lamenting at Jim Morrison's grave.

If you have time get to Versailles, but I'd leave that for another trip. I didn't go there until this year and whilst it's amazing, there's plenty in Paris to make you fall in love with Paris.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here