Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lord Nelson Albion Player Photos

Mr Talk Loudly

Aug 6, 2011
Many of you may know that landlord Graham has left the Nelson in Trafalgar Street. And the next time you go in all the albion memorabelia will have gone.

So just to let you know, the classic photos of the Albion players from 1906-1936 with 6595 appearances between them are safely with a northstander. Me.

There are 73 in total, 10 of them signed. Brilliant that there's a signed photo of Tommy Cook in his England shirt.

Next steps will be to get all the photos scanned so you can all have access to them. Then I'm having them re-framed in acid free material and under full UV protection glass. This should keep them safe for another 100 years.

Currently my plan is to keep hold of them and bequeath them to the club when I peg out.

I've made a spreadsheet of the players, dates and appearances. Just shout with your email if you'd like a copy.

There's a mysterious player with no record in Tim C's and Roger Harris's history. Any clues about "Potter-Smith" anyone?

There were some other bits and pieces which I've been asked to pass on the REMF or AITC. These are a couple of photos of the 1927-28 team, the original flyer for Brighton til I die framed and a junior framed shirt signed by the Coppell team with a plaque for the Nelson sponsoring Dean Hammond's shirt in 2003. If you're connected with either the REMF or AITC drop me a line and I'll get them to you.

Cheers
MTL

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
Why not try a find another pub to 'loan' them to rather than stuck in your attic for 20 years unseen & gathering dust

Lankyseagull

One Step Beyond
Jul 25, 2006
The Field of Uck
Sad to hear that Graham has gone. Good landlord imho, however the pub has lost something in recent years.

Glad to hear that the memorabilia is safe, however, was it his to give away? This sort of stuff has a habit of disappearing and never being seen again. I would love to see it safely on show in the museum at the Amex, but guess that won't happen until you peg out.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
This sounds like just the sort of memorabilia the museum needs. I know articles are going to be rotated so you could loan some them for a while before retrieving them again?

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Well done thanks for the info. my usual before matches, what's happening to the pub? Renamed the Pink Parrot!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Mr Talk Loudly

Aug 6, 2011
This sounds like just the sort of memorabilia the museum needs. I know articles are going to be rotated so you could loan some them for a while before retrieving them again?

That's a def liklihood. First off they need proper looking after. I'm going to be talking to Tim C about these anyway as the order of the players is a little random and so he knows it exists.

Mr Talk Loudly

Aug 6, 2011
Sad to hear that Graham has gone. Good landlord imho, however the pub has lost something in recent years.

Glad to hear that the memorabilia is safe, however, was it his to give away? This sort of stuff has a habit of disappearing and never being seen again. I would love to see it safely on show in the museum at the Amex, but guess that won't happen until you peg out.

They weren't given away and it was his to do what he wanted with. I know the bloke who found the photos in his attic (gathering dust) and gave them to Graham who had them framed. The previous owner was given a £40 bar tab. I paid slightly more than that... The idea of getting them scanned is so everyone has access to the images for free. I, for one, will be making Tommy Cook and Tug Wilson T-shirts. So in many ways they'll be more visible than ever and shouldn't ever disappear. That was really the point of the post - so that everyone knows they're going to be preserved properly.

Not sure who's taking over the pub but it's staying a Harvey's house. Cheers.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I hope the new landlord keeps it an Albion pub, its full of us.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here