Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The 1901 Club - a Premiership(ish) comparison

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Having not previously sampled the 1901 club, I've never had much to add to the debate. However, I was a guest in the Sunderland equivalent of the 1901 club yesterday and thought I'd provide some comparison for those interested.

The ticket for the match cost £55 and included access to the lounge, an informally-served pre-match meal (a very reasonable mince, dumplings and vegetables) and the chance to order half-time drinks in advance.

The demographic in there was very much your 'average' fan. From what I understand, tickets are available on a match-by-match or ST basis.

If the Albion equivalent was priced similarly, I would certainly dabble a couple of times a season.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Having not previously sampled the 1901 club, I've never had much to add to the debate. However, I was a guest in the Sunderland equivalent of the 1901 club yesterday and thought I'd provide some comparison for those interested.

The ticket for the match cost £55 and included access to the lounge, an informally-served pre-match meal (a very reasonable mince, dumplings and vegetables) and the chance to order half-time drinks in advance.

The demographic in there was very much your 'average' fan. From what I understand, tickets are available on a match-by-match or ST basis.

If the Albion equivalent was priced similarly, I would certainly dabble a couple of times a season.

It is priced similarly - just not match by match. Mine costs around £38 a game inc programme and you can preorder drinks. The much maligned food starts at £12.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Just bear in mind this is the Stadium Of Light, that cost Sunderland £4million to build, as opposed to the £100 million cost of the Amex.

Really ? I just did a quick google and it showed £23m in 1995, which sounds more like it. £4m is nothing, even 17 years ago.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Really ? I just did a quick google and it showed £23m in 1995, which sounds more like it. £4m is nothing, even 17 years ago.

£23m sounds like the build cost. There were some hefty grants for regional development, which were supposed to have taken care of the majority of the build costs.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
£23m sounds like the build cost. There were some hefty grants for regional development, which were supposed to have taken care of the majority of the build costs.

Fair enough, reading again, you did say "cost Sunderland to build", I just read it as "cost to build"

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Enough about Sunderland. What about the hospitality at the rugby match you refer to in the thread title?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here