Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is PORTSLADE gentrifying?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I might have slightly mocked Portslade a couple of years when a poster asked about moving there. However it does seem to be changing rapidly. The local schools are expanding and our current bid to move house seems to have uncovered a lot of the sort of Londoners who found Clapham too scary when they got pregnant moving in. Particularly to the bigger family homes in Norway St, St Andrews Rd etc.

Is Portslade about to be the new Poets Corner (I grew up there when it wasn't posh)? Will the £1 shops on Boundary Rd become organic muesli emporiums? Or not?

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Depends whether you mean South Portslade or North Portslade. A world of difference! ... or Lower or Upper as it used to be called

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Depends whether you mean South Portslade or North Portslade. A world of difference! ... or Lower or Upper as it used to be called

South. We're trying to get a bigger family home near the station and so is every other bugger. An ex council place on St Peter's Rd just went for £270K. Ridiculous.

Upper already has posh bits as well as some that will always be Jeremy Kyle.

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009
I might have slightly mocked Portslade a couple of years when a poster asked about moving there. However it does seem to be changing rapidly. The local schools are expanding and our current bid to move house seems to have uncovered a lot of the sort of Londoners who found Clapham too scary when they got pregnant moving in. Particularly to the bigger family homes in Norway St, St Andrews Rd etc.

Is Portslade about to be the new Poets Corner (I grew up there when it wasn't posh)? Will the £1 shops on Boundary Rd become organic muesli emporiums? Or not?

It's certainly seen an influx of young proffessional families moving to the area of late.

I have lived on St Andrews for 3 years now, and ever week seems a new couple with a new SUV moving in.
However it still lacks any decent pubs whereas Shoreham and Poets corner you are spoilt for choice and for me that's a key indicator of the area.Boundary road has 3 of the shittest pubs in Brighton, and although at one point it looked like the Blue Anchor was to be taken over by the chap that did the dyke tavern and stoneham, it never materialised and it's as crap as ever.

I have 2 little'uns, the oldest 3 and we have one eye on moving to shoreham if I'm honest.I commute so have to be nearer the station but it had everything you need-portslade has it all but just a little grubbier and chavier

pipkin112

Aug 10, 2011
sompting
I work in Norway Street, and the prices of some of the properties have shot up in the last year ( a mid terrace house near my works has just sold for £330000), but the parking is a nightmare.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patreon
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
It's certainly seen an influx of young proffessional families moving to the area of late.

I have lived on St Andrews for 3 years now, and ever week seems a new couple with a new SUV moving in.
However it still lacks any decent pubs whereas Shoreham and Poets corner you are spoilt for choice and for me that's a key indicator of the area.Boundary road has 3 of the shittest pubs in Brighton, and although at one point it looked like the Blue Anchor was to be taken over by the chap that did the dyke tavern and stoneham, it never materialised and it's as crap as ever.

I have 2 little'uns, the oldest 3 and we have one eye on moving to shoreham if I'm honest.I commute so have to be nearer the station but it had everything you need-portslade has it all but just a little grubbier and chavier

Have you considered walking to the Stanley Arms ? Would save you all the cost of moving.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Have you considered walking to the Stanley Arms ? Would save you all the cost of moving.

The Stanley is a cracking pub but more for old men with a proper beer fetish like myself. The place will really be on the up if a decent-ish family pub serving good grub springs up. Noble House is too Hove-y and the Blue Anchor hasn't taken off as mentioned.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

That poster was me (I believe).

I'd say it's slightly too early to claim the area is gentrifying. There definitely has been an influx of Brighton middles class young professional families - i.e. people like me - but no significant redevelopment as yet, apart from that new Boulder climbing centre.

i reckon it will happen, just will take a long time.

I LOVE where we live and we're gonna be here forever.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
The Stanley is a cracking pub but more for old men with a proper beer fetish like myself. The place will really be on the up if a decent-ish family pub serving good grub springs up. Noble House is too Hove-y and the Blue Anchor hasn't taken off as mentioned.

Battle of Trafalgar - kids allowed, cheap burgers.

The place isn't quite ready for a 'Noble House' type place west of Boundary yet I reckon. Won't be long though.

Dalos

Mar 2, 2009

Dont get me wrong the stanley is ok for a few beers on certain occasions but you wouldnt take your family there for a bit of sunday lunch.

Pubs aside, Shoreham has a load of good restaurants, cafes etc - if Portslade can get a few nicer places to visit, it may snowball but at the moment there is nothing to get you excited along those lines

Carrot Cruncher

NHS Slave
Helpful Moderator
Jul 30, 2003
Southampton, United Kingdom
My take on it is that in an area where shithole boozers become places that are a genuine pleasure to drink in, that's when it's becoming gentrified.

East Dulwich is a case in point. Used to be rough as ********s, now poncey as you like.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
That poster was me (I believe).

I'd say it's slightly too early to claim the area is gentrifying. There definitely has been an influx of Brighton middles class young professional families - i.e. people like me - but no significant redevelopment as yet, apart from that new Boulder climbing centre.

i reckon it will happen, just will take a long time.

I LOVE where we live and we're gonna be here forever.

I think it was you, yes. I like it a lot more than I did a couple of years ago. Not sure why, just think it's grown on me.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
This is all interesting stuff as someone who knows very little about the residential areas that lie between Shoreham and Brighton.

I do know that my RightMove emails, that have been coming in daily for a year or do now, are showing a lot less house for the money than was the case a year ago.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
I could never live in Portslade, it's full of heartless meanies. Not since the "Safe Haven for Donkeys in the Holy Land" charity shop by the crossing closed through lack of donations. Shame on you Portsladers.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
Having lived just round the corner from Boundary/Station Rd for the past 5 years in both a sh*tty flat and now a nice semi, I can categorically say that this part of portslade will only be gentrified if bombed and much of the local population wiped out.

There does seem to be an influx of new families who are making a difference to the schools/parks/etc, but not the shopping, eating or drinking and boundary road is still a cr*p hole.

Head east, west or north by as little as a half a mile and its lovely, but that area from the station to the seafront still has more than its fair share of scum.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I could never live in Portslade, it's full of heartless meanies. Not since the "Safe Haven for Donkeys in the Holy Land" charity shop by the crossing closed through lack of donations. Shame on you Portsladers.

Still open and I'm sure at least £1 a week from sales makes it to a registered charity somewhere so that by the end of the year it mounts to a couple of pence actually helping donkeys. However, given the number of "legitimate" charity shops along that road doing quite nicely for donations I'm sure no blame can be placed on the locals.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I do know that my RightMove emails, that have been coming in daily for a year or do now, are showing a lot less house for the money than was the case a year ago.

True dat.

It was ridiculous though, the level of price disparity based solely on what side of Boundary Road the house was on. So makes sense that the West side should appreciate in relative terms.

And I'd argue that New Church Road is far worse than Porstalde if you're looking at access to pubs as a measure of quality.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Having lived just round the corner from Boundary/Station Rd for the past 5 years in both a sh*tty flat and now a nice semi, I can categorically say that this part of portslade will only be gentrified if bombed and much of the local population wiped out.

There does seem to be an influx of new families who are making a difference to the schools/parks/etc, but not the shopping, eating or drinking and boundary road is still a cr*p hole.

Head east, west or north by as little as a half a mile and its lovely, but that area from the station to the seafront still has more than its fair share of scum.

Bit harsh on some of the establishments along there doing their best such as 'Seasons' Spanish restaurant, the Oriental, the Polish Cafe, even the Bystander has had a refit and upped it's game. Stones cafe as well. Some nice places to suit various tastes.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

Not just still open, but a great place to buy buggies & pushchairs that people just leave behind at LGW when returning from holiday (because it's "not worth their time to wait around to pick them up")

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here