Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Ipswich Stewards/Fans getting thrown out (Merged threads)

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
thought they were very friendly, even if disorganised.

Was one of NSC's finest leading the pack or innocently caught up in the melee at the corner exit?

IfieldBlue

Apr 17, 2012
didn't look the best advert for Brighton support from where I was in the Sir Alf stand.....

SamPeters18

Feb 19, 2011
Peacehaven
People getting thrown out

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/1070...mophobic_Ipswich_fans__taunts/?action=success

Am i the only one that thinks this is getting ridiculous now?

Every game we are going to hear how 2-3 people are thrown out due to homophobic abuse, its because of where we are so its just banter for the game, like we would call Millwall/Palace fans pikeys and stuff like that, wished it wernt made such a big deal tbh

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Look at the picture in the Argus. These are the people who were whining to the stewards about homophobic abuse. Not Liz Costa. My suspicion is that they don't really give a damn about homophobia but just want to use it to wind up the stewards. I may be doing them a disservice. Perhaps they are all Guardian readers, who knows they may all be gay.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Just out of interest - would it be equally acceptable if the chants were racist ?

SamPeters18

Feb 19, 2011
Peacehaven
Just out of interest - would it be equally acceptable if the chants were racist ?

No racist wouldnt be allowed, i know people can say same for Homophobic chants, everyone i speak too young and old have said that it dont really bother them as they take it as banter, its just like Spurs with chanting Yids for themselves which they are trying to take out as well, its what football fans do so its not going to go away i dont think no matter what they try and do

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
What if people chanted to Leicester, Bradford, Luton etc, your just a town full of Pakis? acceptable then?

SamPeters18

Feb 19, 2011
Peacehaven
What if people chanted to Leicester, Bradford, Luton etc, your just a town full of Pakis? acceptable then?

No because thats not what football fans try to use as banter, its what football fans have got for us, obv i know some people dont like it but its not just my point of view, its people that i spokean too have said as well they take it with a pinch of salt, its just every game we hear 2-3 people thrown out for it

imho i dont see it as highly as racism, its a bold statement i know and if Bozza or anyone else who runs this dont agree with it then they can delete the thread if they want

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Look at the picture in the Argus. These are the people who were whining to the stewards about homophobic abuse. Not Liz Costa. My suspicion is that they don't really give a damn about homophobia but just want to use it to wind up the stewards. I may be doing them a disservice. Perhaps they are all Guardian readers, who knows they may all be gay.

Quite - Hate to judge people on a photo, but I'm going to hazard a guess that those nice gentlemen are not campaigners for Outrage.....

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Based on that picture, those top left are engaging in "banter", those bottom right are looking for trouble and this week's excuse is homophobic chanting. Next week it could be knitting, shoes, cardigans - anything really, I'm sure they are not bothered.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
No racist wouldnt be allowed, i know people can say same for Homophobic chants, everyone i speak too young and old have said that it dont really bother them as they take it as banter, its just like Spurs with chanting Yids for themselves which they are trying to take out as well, its what football fans do so its not going to go away i dont think no matter what they try and do

Those people you spoke to, were they all gay? As for the Tottenham fans, if you bothered to follow the story closer you would have known that there are many fans from the Jewish community that don't like the chant as there are some Jewish fans (from what can be seen of the media reports, normally the younger ones) who aren't bothered by it. The 'does you boyfriend know you're here' chant is probably seen by many as banter, even probably some gays, but it seems that when people are thrown out it is for shouting more vitriolic and hateful comments which most of the singing fraternity aren't joining in with.

SamPeters18

Feb 19, 2011
Peacehaven
Those people you spoke to, were they all gay? As for the Tottenham fans, if you bothered to follow the story closer you would have known that there are many fans from the Jewish community that don't like the chant as there are some Jewish fans (from what can be seen of the media reports, normally the younger ones) who aren't bothered by it. The 'does you boyfriend know you're here' chant is probably seen by many as banter, even probably some gays, but it seems that when people are thrown out it is for shouting more vitriolic and hateful comments which most of the singing fraternity aren't joining in with.

Yes actually i do know some people who are gay and are Brighton fans and they have also said they dont view it that bad

Twinkle Toes

Growing old disgracefully
Apr 4, 2008
Hoveside

So then Sam, how do you think racist chanting & 'banter' was largely removed from our terraces? Do you think somebody planted a few magic beans a quarter of a century ago: & when they sprouted up all the abuse suddenly - & indeed miraculously - stopped??

Have a good think about it & see if you can work it out.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
So then Sam, how do you think racist chanting & 'banter' was largely removed from our terraces? Do you think somebody planted a few magic beans a quarter of a century ago: & when they sprouted up all the abuse suddenly - & indeed miraculously - stopped??

Have a good think about it & see if you can work it out.

Indeed, there were plenty of fans in the 70s that thought racist remarks were just banter !

Based on that picture, those top left are engaging in "banter", those bottom right are looking for trouble and this week's excuse is homophobic chanting. Next week it could be knitting, shoes, cardigans - anything really, I'm sure they are not bothered.

Based on being there, two seats along from the young lad in the bottom left hand corner, I wouldn't describe anything I heard as banter.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
The problem was that the stewards were doing nothing to stop the home fans in the first place and took far too long to eject the ones causing thetrouble. This meant Albion fans were getting more and more annoyed. Things seemed to escalate from there.

The stewards were ineffective and that is being polite.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
Based on being there, two seats along from the young lad in the bottom left hand corner, I wouldn't describe anything I heard as banter.

I am just making wild assumptions from that picture - ie some are ignoring it, some are giving some back and others are looking for a fight. I assume it was the ones looking for a fight that were thrown out.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here