Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Gonna get shot down I guess......

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Nathan Jones.

Been going to games since the 70's, solid through 80's into 90's, career and Priestfield took their toll, could never fall in love with Withdean, but overall a passionate, loyal fan.

Now as much as I realise that I missed a good percentage of games after the Goldstone, I still like to think that I knew what was going on. But did I miss something about NJ? Journeyman player, big heart, but not really a club legend in my book?

Now he is tasked with supporting a man, Oscar, whose career is somewhat better thought of. As an interpreter, football guru, Albion hero, or just a convenient bloke who was available at the time? To the eye, Jones looks like a weasley bloke in the boozer earwigging for a burglary tip, or a two bob drugs dealer (drives a nice Merc so maybe).

I don't want to be unfair on him, but just what is on his CV that got him the job?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He knows the Albion and speaks fluent Spanish. Apparently he has all his coaching qualifications, and led Charlton U21s to their title last season pipping ours to 2nd place.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
He knows the Albion and speaks fluent Spanish. Apparently he has all his coaching qualifications, and led Charlton U21s to their title last season pipping ours to 2nd place.
But other than that...

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Nathan Jones.

Been going to games since the 70's, solid through 80's into 90's, career and Priestfield took their toll, could never fall in love with Withdean, but overall a passionate, loyal fan.

Now as much as I realise that I missed a good percentage of games after the Goldstone, I still like to think that I knew what was going on. But did I miss something about NJ? Journeyman player, big heart, but not really a club legend in my book?

Now he is tasked with supporting a man, Oscar, whose career is somewhat better thought of. As an interpreter, football guru, Albion hero, or just a convenient bloke who was available at the time? To the eye, Jones looks like a weasley bloke in the boozer earwigging for a burglary tip, or a two bob drugs dealer (drives a nice Merc so maybe).

I don't want to be unfair on him, but just what is on his CV that got him the job?

Nathan Jones???? ... oh sorry, thought you were talking about Charlie Oatway.

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008
I'm starting to admire him now.

He is thought highly of within football as an emerging coach, he was offered a number of jobs at clubs bigger than us in the summer, and said that he only joined us because of how much he loves Brighton (area & club)

I'm happy with him, he seems very articulate and driven

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
He is thought highly of within football as an emerging coach, he was offered a number of jobs at clubs bigger than us in the summer, and said that he only joined us because of how much he loves Brighton (area & club)

I'm happy with him, he seems very articulate and driven

Very much agree.

scooter1

How soon is now?
It's an interesting point that, 'he knows the club'. Fair enough, he played for the Albion 10 years ago, but it's a very different set up to that with which he was originally involved. Whilst he may be well thought of, and a good emerging coach, it's got to be the language thing that prompted OG to go with what may have been a complete stranger as his nbr 2

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Nathan Jones.

"A fluent Spanish speaker after a playing spell there with Numancia and Badajoz, he played for Brighton between 2000 and 2005 before a seven-season stint with the Glovers.

"I’m really sad and sorry to see a really highly valuable part of my coaching set-up go, but you can’t stop progress," said boss Chris Powell.

"I’ve been in a position myself, so has Alex, where you are in a good position with the development group and you have a real rapport as Nathan certainly had with them. It certainly shows in the way they played last year by winning the league and winning the play-offs, and that’s no mean feat.

"I’m sure I speak on behalf of everyone including all the players, we wish him well and thank him for what he did in the year he was here."

Youth Academy Director Paul Hart, who worked closely with Jones during his spell at the club, was also full of praise for the Welshman’s contribution.

“I’m very disappointed to learn that Nathan has agreed to go to Brighton, but not entirely surprised,” he said. “He’s done a marvellous job in the year that he’s been here and he thoroughly deserves the attention that he has received from Brighton & Hove Albion Football Club.

“Although we are extremely sad to lose him we are extremely pleased that he’s been offered such a prestigious role at that football club.

“Nathan is very enthusiastic and very driven and he’s taken on board the philosophy of our club and what we do with the young boys as well.

“He’s listened and he’s delivered and we had a great working relationship and I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it.”

Just a whole lot better than Tanno!

Last edited:

empire

Dec 1, 2003
dreamland
Nathan Jones.

very suprised anyone has to ask this question tbh,if your albion through and through that is,been talked about the last few years,and if you are into your footy like you said,thought you would of known how well regarded the guy is,hey ho

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
very suprised anyone has to ask this question tbh,if your albion through and through that is,been talked about the last few years,and if you are into your footy like you said,thought you would of known how well regarded the guy is,hey ho

Sorry Emps, but my explanation was with the original question. What more would you like to know?

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
wellquickwoody,

Can we take it that Lord Jones has now gone from zero to hero in your eyes? :)

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
I loved watching that team, Watson on the right and Jones on the left firing crosses in for Bobby.

Does anyone remember that skill that Jones used to do where he look like he was trapping the ball, but then sprinted past the defender.

Spider

Sep 15, 2007
One thing that fans will never understand is how an assistant manager, and to an extent the further underlings, operate within the structure of a club. It's always thoroughly embarrassing when people try and theorise on their relative merits, because the truth is that we don't know how they operate and schieve success on a daily basis. It was a shameful period for Brighton fans when people hounded out Dean White, and it would be shameful again if we presume to understand better than the club on how qualified an assistant is.

To be clear, our assumptions as a modern fan, in that we can blame the manager for all failings of the club, comes with the understanding that we cannot speculate on the failings of his coaching team. We can't simultaneously blame the manager for a failing team (which all football fans do) and then try and assess the rest of the staff.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here