Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

That infamous brian tawes penalty 1970

Dec 27, 2005
BRIGHTO KEMP TOWN
JUST TRYING TO KEEP SOME ALBION FOLKLORE ALIVE BUT IS ANYONE OLD ENOUGH TO STILL REMEMBER THAT BRIAN TAWES PENALTY KICK THAT WAS INCHES AWAY FROM GOING STRAIGHT OVER THE TOP OF THE SOUTH STAND ROOF AT THE GOLDSTONE?
AN IMPOSSIBLE FEAT FOR EVEN JOHNNY WILKINSON IN HIS HAY DAY.
I WAS WATCHING FROM THE NORTH STAND AND REMEMBER THE ROARS OF LAUGHTER AND THEN THE WHOOOAS OF THE CROWD AS IT BOUNCED SO CLOSE TO LANDING IN THE OLD FACTORY YARD AT THE BACK OF THE SOUTH STAND.
BRIAN TAWES WAS A PLAYER THAT SEEMED TO BE THE MANAGER'S PET (ARCHIE MACAULLY, I THINK) AND ALWAYS SEEMED TO COME ON AS SUB (IN THE DAYS WHEN THERE WAS ONLY ONE SUB) AND YOU COULD ALWAYS HEAR THE GRUMBLINGS RIPPLING AROUND THE GROUND OF "OH NO, TAWES IS COMMING ON" OR "THEY ARE BRINGING BLOODY TAWES ON AGAIN". SO WHEN BRIAN TAWES PUT THE BALL DOWN ON THAT PENALTY SPOT, EVERYBODY IN THE GROUND KNEW THAT THE BALL WAS NOT GOING TO GO IN THE NET BUT COULD NOT HAVE IMAGINED SUCH A LEGENDARY MISS!
CAN'T REMEMBER WHO WE WERE PLAYING, I THINK THAT WE WERE 3-0 OR 3-1 DOWN AT THE TIME WITH ABOUT TEN MINUTES TO GO AND ANY HOPE OF A MIRACULOUS COMEBACK BOUNCED UP ON THE ROOF OF THE SOUTH STAND.:eek::eek::eek:

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
If it was 1970...it. wouldn't have been Archie Macaulay as manager....he was sacked in 1968.

Brian Tawse I remember well but this incident doesn't stick in my memory...hardly surprising as 40+ years ago.

Oh..and why are you shouting?

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
Where are Tim Carder and Spencer Vignes when you need them? Someone must know about this.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I thought it was John Templeman too. Otherwise (apart fro the name spelling) my memory of Brian Tawse was pretty much as posted.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
Templeman and Charlie Livesey oftern sent shots over the South Stand. I started watching the Albion in about 1964 however the grey sells are struggling. We need our Museum now.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I'm sure Tawse ballooned one over against Watford I think in about 68 or 69. I thought it was over the northstand but it was a long time ago now.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Templeman and Charlie Livesey oftern sent shots over the South Stand. I started watching the Albion in about 1964 however the grey sells are struggling. We need our Museum now.

They sertainly are!

wallyback

Jun 22, 2011
Brighton
Didn't templeman take a chunk out of the south stand guttering?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Tiger Tawse managed over 100 games for us (65-70). Yes, he was shite. Looked like one of those beer and booze types. We had Howard Wilkinson on the wing, too. Much better manager than player. But much more exciting a player than manager.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Posted by Wilf Tranter some years ago:

Brian Tawse arrived in Brighton in (if I remember correctly) December 1965. He made twenty-two League appearances in that undistinguished season, and scored six League goals; remarkably, he made the same number of League appearances in the following (even less distinguished) season, and scored a further six League goals. But I imagine that most of those Albion fans who remember him will recall his disallowed goal against Chelsea in the fourth round of the FA cup on February 18th, 1967, when the Albion came so close to beating a very good Chelsea side. One Wilf T. did not play in that game, but was brought back for the replay at Stamford Bridge in which we were hammered 4-0.

Brian finally lost the no. 11 shirt to Kit Napier in the 1969-70 season. He had been a very good servant to the club, and was regarded with great affection by many supporters.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here