Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should we be giving Ipswich a bit of credit for the way they played?

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I know we were all really disappointed with yesterday's performance but I think McCarthy deserves credit. Ipswich were no better than us before the goal but they chased everything down and didn't let us settle on the ball. McCarthy had done his homework on us and like last season we struggled against a team that had decent players who closed us down.

Oscar got a wake up call to what is required in this division IMO. He went for the flair of Bruno rather than the strength of Ince, green as he might be. Playing Barnes as a lone striker against strong and competent defenders and playing long balls to him was never going to work. It seemed to me that the ref was an old style ref and allowed the physical element of the game. I couldn't work out from where I was whether Barnes was being outmuscled in the first half or just being lightweight, he went to ground so many times.

An open goal missed and a lucky deflection changed the game. The second goal was quality and Greer (?) was mugged by a skilful forward. After that Ipswich just stopped us playing.

Disappointing but with no outlet up front, as Barnes is not a lone striker, and players given no time on the ball I believe that McCarthy just got the better of Garcia with his tactics and we were unable to cope.

Having Ulloa back should, hopefully, make a massive difference and if there was going to be some complacency on Tuesday against a poor Sheff Weds side, yesterday's result should ensure that the team go out fired up and looking to make amends for what was a truly abysmal performance yesterday.

Credit to Ipswich and hopefully a Championship lesson learnt by Oscar.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
I agree entirely. Ipswich hustled and bustled well. As poor as we were, they made us look worse by not allowing us to play. Their second goal was indeed quality.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Agree to an extent. Only proviso is that when we do the basics right, I.e. don't continually boot it off the side of the pitch, or to their keeper, that we make it a lot harder for them to do what you described.

But I totally agree.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Just read that we had 58% possession and had 0 shots on target. That's pretty poor

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
I agree but a typical Mick McCarthy team with hard work and application. Didnt give our lot any time on the ball but that doesnt excuse the abysmal performance. The game against Derby at home gave me concerns but there has been significant improvement since then - but yesterday was back to square one! Very dispirited today as there no plus points whatever.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Agree to an extent. Only proviso is that when we do the basics right, I.e. don't continually boot it off the side of the pitch, or to their keeper, that we make it a lot harder for them to do what you described.

But I totally agree.

True, but they didn't give Kuz any time on the ball either and we know he's not comfortable playing the ball with his feet, hence the panicky clearances often into touch and the decision to just hoof the ball rather than be caught with the it. As I said on another thread I find it hard to believe that this hoofing to Barnes was part of the game plan.

Baaaald

3rd time lucky
Aug 7, 2011
Haywards Heath
Yes I thought they worked hard to stop us playing our game. However I didn't think they were that great overall themselves. The first goal was fortunate but the second was our poor defending. Overall a bad day at the office hopefully we can move on and pick up three points in Tuesday.

theboybilly

Ipswich were nothing special. A lot of their play, especially in the second half, was directed at Calderon (and he coped reasonably well) I thought Town's central defence looked shaky early on and Albion might have had a bit of profit from that but far too many passes were given away cheaply, something I didn't see at all at Reading or QPR. There wasn't enough forward intent whether through Ipswich's pressing game or Albion's lack of attacking options. But nobody in yellow had a good day except maybe Calde and to a degree Upson. A thoroughly frustrating afternoon spent in a tired old stand.

BearwoodSeagull

Feb 2, 2012
Chalkhouse Green, Oxon
We just had one of those days.
They appeared quicker, stronger and showed more desire and commitment on the day. Barnes really got no change out their central defenders and we had no creativity. Bruno picked out a couple of passes, but also gave the ball away and lacks pace.

That said, if we could have put a chance away or got the penalty shout that was a nailed on Pen, we could still have got something from the game....that's just how evenly matched the teams are in this league.

Can't say I have seen anything from Conway in the two games I have seen...very, very ordinary.
Hope we start with Kaz and Buckers on Tuesday now the man from Argentina has served his ban!
Chalk this one down to experience and move on.....
Sheffield Weds and Yeovil in the next three games means we could be nearer the playoff spots again before the International break.....it's a long way to go and we are good enough when Orlandi and Ulloa are fit.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I agree entirely. Ipswich hustled and bustled well. As poor as we were, they made us look worse by not allowing us to play. Their second goal was indeed quality.

I was talking with TC after the game and after watching Brighton against QPR, him and Mick had decided on exactly this tactic. Brighton were flustered out of their normal game - in particular Barnes was easy to get at. They felt Bruno had a reasonable game in midfield. Interesting, that after Barnes was subbed following his yellow card we finished the game with no recognised strikers on the field. Bad day at the office? When we loose its not often we are outplayed, but it is often we cant adapt to being closed down quickly.

The noise at times from the home fans was impressive. Clapping in time to that drum for 10 minutes at a time was very load.

The whole game was in contrast to last season when CMS tore them apart. Ipswich have improved under MM, and Brighton yesterday were a step backwards.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I was talking with TC after the game and after watching Brighton against QPR, him and Mick had decided on exactly this tactic. Brighton were flustered out of their normal game - in particular Barnes was easy to get at. They felt Bruno had a reasonable game in midfield. Interesting, that after Barnes was subbed following his yellow card we finished the game with no recognised strikers on the field. Bad day at the office? When we loose its not often we are outplayed, but it is often we cant adapt to being closed down quickly.

The noise at times from the home fans was impressive. Clapping in time to that drum for 10 minutes at a time was very load.

The whole game was in contrast to last season when CMS tore them apart. Ipswich have improved under MM, and Brighton yesterday were a step backwards.

''not allowing us to play'' ...hmm heard that before somewhere.....nothing new is it...plan b? (oh how i hate that term)

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
Absolutely - Ipswich got their tactics spot on. That was a lesson in how to play us. We have always (in the Gus era) struggled with anyone who defends high and closes down our back line. As has been said we don't seem to have a plan B for this. Surely the plan B has to be a temporary reversion to a long ball game. This has become so alien to us that its almost sacrilegious to suggest it. But the only way to counteract the high defensive line and pressure on the back four is to have 10 minutes of lumping it forward over the top towards the likes of Buckley and Lualua. The defenders' comparative lack of pace would force the high line deeper, thus opening up the midfield allowing us to then revert to our usual 'plan A' game.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Ipswich were terrible. Don't do the "we lost, so they were better" thing. Both teams should be bitterly disappointed with their performance. McGoldrick settled the game with the ONLY bit of a skill in the entire match, turning Greer and smashing past Kuszczak (whose kicking was utter sh*t).

They kept the ball ok at times, under absolutely no pressure from us at ALL. They were a competent Championship team, but classic midtable fodder. They had nothing really about the way they play the game. We should beat teams like that if we want to be in the top 6, and that's why we won there last season. We are a shadow of the team we were.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Think some need to remember this is the championship and we will have bad games and and defeats. Six unbeaten before Ipswich. Main thing is to get back to wining ways this week!

Yep the only way is forward, and at least we will have the chance to put it right quickly with the game on Tuesday. I just hope that we go for broke and start the game with two wingers and Ulloa as the striker, and try to score early goals.

Why oh why Oscar, with David, Ince, and Forster-Caskey all available, decided to play a right back in midfield l really have no idea. With the squad so badly depleted it really wasn't the time to experiment.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Ipswich were terrible. Don't do the "we lost, so they were better" thing. Both teams should be bitterly disappointed with their performance. McGoldrick settled the game with the ONLY bit of a skill in the entire match, turning Greer and smashing past Kuszczak (whose kicking was utter sh*t).

They kept the ball ok at times, under absolutely no pressure from us at ALL. They were a competent Championship team, but classic midtable fodder. They had nothing really about the way they play the game. We should beat teams like that if we want to be in the top 6, and that's why we won there last season. We are a shadow of the team we were.

Sorry Ninja, you are right AND wrong. Right in saying that we are a shadow of the team we were last season, but wrong to say that we should be in the top six.

We are very much a team in transition, and perhaps a mid-table side is about where we are at the moment, we will win one match, but are then just as likely to lose the next. This is Oscar's first season in English football, and although many people seem to see him as the next messiah, how do we know that's going to be the case?

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford

Ipswich are undergoing the same financial restrictions as the Albion. Its a long time since they laid out any big money on transfers. So yes they realistically see themselves at present as a solid Championship side

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here