Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Petrol Prices

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Live in Tunbridge Wells, unleaded petrol around 136.9p a litre. Was down in Hastings today, and petrol at a number of places 129.9. Filled up on the way home obviously, about 10 miles north of Hastings in Hurst Green, back up to 136.9. How so ? We always hear that retailers margins on fuel is pennies per litre. Hastings is not nearer any refineries than elsewhere, so cost of distribution can't be a reason. Are we being ripped off up here, or are they selling fuel at a loss in Hastings.

Is it because Hastings is perhaps more deprived than other areas, petrol companies only feel they can demand so much. They're not known for their philanthropy, so can anyone in the know shed any light ?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Where did you see it at 129.9? Cheapest I've seen it here is about 133. Texaco on The Ridge sometimes have specials on. Was it there?

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
Diesel 136.9 and petrol 129.9 at sainsburys in newhaven and morrisons in Seaford

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
Two garages in Crawley were 1.29.9 yesterday

robinsonsgrin

Mar 16, 2009
LA...wishing it was devon..
I was always amazed at the cost of petrol here in poor old Littlehampton; a supposedly deprived area and higher than all around. Seems to have evened out a bit now to be fair; all a rip off!
Hayling Island Esso - cheapest by miles.. always fill up when visiting my mate...

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
All the above would suggest the supermarkets have just dropped their prices then. I expect Sainsbury's in Tun Wells will also be selling at 129.9.

The Hurst Green BP's are always expensive btw. Captive market on the snail trail A21.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
The supermarkets may be cheaper but the fuel is low grade. Try seeing how many miles per gallon you get from supermarket fuel compared with Shell, BP etc, it does not work out cheaper "in the long run".

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The supermarkets may be cheaper but the fuel is low grade. Try seeing how many miles per gallon you get from supermarket fuel compared with Shell, BP etc, it does not work out cheaper "in the long run".

I think that is impossible, Fuel has to meet certain octane standards, if it was poor quality fuel, trading standards would have done the supermarkets years ago.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I think that is impossible, Fuel has to meet certain octane standards, if it was poor quality fuel, trading standards would have done the supermarkets years ago.

It raised my eyebrow too. However, all the petrol stations sell a bog standard petrol and a super duper more expensive version, so must be some truth in it. Perhaps :shrug:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
As an aside. I was once found myself in B&Q looking through the veg seed selection. I noticed the huge price difference between Sutton seeds and B&Q own brand. I then sighted a half open box of seed packets left on the floor by a shop worker obviously disturbed in the middle of shelf stacking. The tape around the box was all marked Suttons, yet the packets inside were marked B&Q. Got me wondering, do Suttons have best grade seed for themselves and not so good for B&Q?, or is it all the same seed with just a mark up for the Suttons name ???

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It raised my eyebrow too. However, all the petrol stations sell a bog standard petrol and a super duper more expensive version, so must be some truth in it. Perhaps :shrug:

Years ago it was 2,3 and 4 star petrol, and I think there was a 5 star for Jags and other performance cars. That became simplified to Unleaded and Super Unleaded either way, it has to meet certain standards and I'm pretty sure fines would have been bandied about and Watchdog/Rip Off Britain etc would have been on it like a rocket.

Willy Dangle

Aug 31, 2011
Its simple but will never happen.

Don't fill up for a week out of protest.You wont change a thing but we all will if we all do.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting

Yes certain standards obviously, but the better grades go to Shell, BP, Esso etc according to the tanker drivers. Have a word with taxi drivers to see where they fill up.
Try filling up your tank at a supermarket and compare the miles with a main dealer fuel. I reckon you would get about 50/80 more miles out of a tank full.
Give it a go, it worked for me.

All brands load from the same depot, during loading, the tanker driver adds the additives. all branded fuel has additives, supermkt fuel does not.

Last edited:

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
That's all very well, but..........

There was a young man from Leeds
Who swallowed a packet of seeds
Within an hour his knob was a flower
And his a_rsehole was covered in weeds

Been doing some research and still can't find out whether they were Sutton seeds, B&Q or dear old Mr. Fothergills :shrug:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Yes certain standards obviously, but the better grades go to Shell, BP, Esso etc according to the tanker drivers. Have a word with taxi drivers to see where they fill up.
Try filling up your tank at a supermarket and compare the miles with a main dealer fuel. I reckon you would get about 50/80 more miles out of a tank full.
Give it a go, it worked for me.

This is petrol, this is refined by a industrial method to industry standards, if it was the grapes that go to make wine then fair enough as some harvests and some grapes are better than others. Besides, I have regularly flitted between BP and supermarket fuel and have never noticed a difference, except in price.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Been doing some research and still can't find out whether they were Sutton seeds, B&Q or dear old Mr. Fothergills :shrug:

Highly likely to be Suttons/Mr Fothergils or A N other. B&Q would get a seed company to grow and pack for them as It's not worth their while to set up a huge sub-division to grow seeds.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here