Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nearly 20 years and I am finally cured of my get rich quick addiction(Lotto)

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
Next week starts the £2 a ticket Lottery scam,after nearly 20 years of wasting money chasing the dream I am finally cured.since the lottery ran twice a week I have been pissing £6 a week down the drain playing 3 lines.
No ****ing way am I paying £12 a week.Wednesday sees my last ticket.
I will still play the Euromillions but with a proviso.That,same as now,I buy 1 ticket for jackpots over £100,000,000.
I recognize I have no chance of winning the Jackpot but if they offer me odds of 50,000,000:1 that I wont win I will risk it.

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
If you stop now, your numbers will come up on the next one. :shootself

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
As I said to jnr when he was just old enough to ask what I was doing:-

'its a tax on the poor and the stupid.
That's why daddy does 3 lines'.

D

Deleted member 18477

If you don't play the lotto or check the results you'll never know though?

I will continue my 1 line only on the Saturday draw. I don't even check the results... I do it online so wait for an email to come through telling me I've won.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I'm quitting too. I hope thousands of others do the same so that Camelot realize they have made a mistake.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I'm quitting also, was never a regular but if I was in the shop on the day I'd have a few selections, but at 2 quid a pop I certainly won't be doing that. Don't see how they justify the price hike? I suppose the rewards are better now if you do win (£25 for 3 numbers) but even that doesnt excite me, in doubling the price you double the gamble that miraculously you MIGHT be lucky enough to win 25 quid, I'm sure I read somewhere the odds of even getting 3 numbers mathematically are extremely high, higher than many would think.

D

Deleted member 18477

I'm quitting also, was never a regular but if I was in the shop on the day I'd have a few selections, but at 2 quid a pop I certainly won't be doing that. Don't see how they justify the price hike? I suppose the rewards are better now if you do win (£25 for 3 numbers) but even that doesnt excite me, in doubling the price you double the gamble that miraculously you MIGHT be lucky enough to win 25 quid, I'm sure I read somewhere the odds of even getting 3 numbers mathematically are extremely high, higher than many would think.

I've won 50 quid this year. 5 x £10 wins. Won one last night! So my lotto has paid for itself as I've only done 1 line every Saturday draw.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I stopped doing it when I read a statistic that if over 55 years of age, as in my case, I stand more chance of dying before the draw is made if I do it on the day of the draw than actually winning a large amount.

If the £1 lottery stake had risen in line with inflation since 1994, it would now cost £1.69 to buy a ticket. Raising the price to £2 is a real increase of 18.3 per cent.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Count me out too! And as someone else said, if you don't look at the results, you'll never know! I hope thousands more people do the same.

I'm out too. If only I could remember how to do the football pools...

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
It's arguably worth doing the first two Saturday £2 draws as they are knocking out 1,000 wins of £20k in each of those to try and lure people in. From week three onwards there's only 50 wins of £20k, which is frankly rubbish.

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
I stopped doing it when I read a statistic that if over 55 years of age, as in my case, I stand more chance of dying before the draw is made if I do it on the day of the draw than actually winning a large amount.

A statistician mate of mine reckoned the odds of you winning on Saturday night were more than those of you dropping down dead between 8.45pm. on the Sat., and collecting your winnings on Monday, say at 10am. :ohmy:

Another reason to stop :)

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
I've won 50 quid this year. 5 x £10 wins. Won one last night! So my lotto has paid for itself as I've only done 1 line every Saturday draw.

Bloody hell you must be exceptionally lucky, I think the odds of winning even a tenner are 55/1, according to mathematically boffins anyway. I haven't won a tenner in donkeys.

raymondbriggs

Dec 21, 2008
on a snowman plough
What is the most you have won?

I got 4 balls ONCE better than 15 years ago £120,try getting that return for 4 balls now!!!!!

You know what,in the early days I REALLY thought it was a piece of piss,that I was certain to get those magic 6 balls.now days I check online to see if I have a tenner coming my way about every other month,if they did come up I wont even look to see.

If you don't play the lotto or check the results you'll never know though?

I will continue my 1 line only on the Saturday draw. I don't even check the results... I do it online so wait for an email to come through telling me I've won.

Euromillions with a jackpot of £100,000,000 + is the way to go,you have no chance but at 50,000,000 to 1 at least you get decent odds.

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
Yep. me and my wife are giving up having been doing it since the beginning. Can justify paying £1 but £2. Why are all British institutions such greedy b******s.

Gas, Electric, Water, Mail Lottery are all similar to monopolies and put up prices to pay even more to shareholders, whether justified or not.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Mind we say about the lottery but what about Premium Bonds I have had the same £100 since they started and was given £1000 worth about 6 years ago and have never won a single penny. They are now not worth what they were when purchased.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
It just does not make sense raising it to £2. At the end of the day (to quote the famous football cliche) the lotto can only pay out from the pool received. If it was 50p a ticket, people would probably buy more tickets.

I forgot to renew my on line tickets a month ago. I won't bother now. Unfortunately I am also in 3 separate lottery syndicates. I can never leave them because as soon as I do................

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here