Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Crucial Three - who's your favourite?

Who's your favourite?

• Julian Cope

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • Ian McCulloch

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • Pete Wylie

Votes: 7 21.9%

• Total voters

Crispy Ambulance

May 27, 2010
Burgess Hill
All very different but all contributed some great songs during the early 80's and beyond.

Cope - off his nut but classics with Reward and Treason and Passionate Friend. Some of his solo stuff wasn't bad either (World Shut Your Mouth, Trampoline, China Doll, etc).

McCulloch - great voice and stage prescence. From the rawness of Crocodiles and Heaven Up Here to the sublime Ocean Rain.

Wylie - least successful of the 3 but responsible for early classics as Somesay and Seven Minutes To Midnight to the hits (Story Of The Blues and Comeback, both painting bleak scally pictures and filled with venom at what was happening in his city).

Who's your favourite and why?

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003
1 vote so far in this poll (mine). For number of great songs, voice and inspiration for my student haircut there can be only one.

Tarpon

Sep 12, 2013
BN1
After today I need a distraction like this. Probably given it more thought than they warrant but it's Mac isn't it if only for the voice?

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
Copey because he's properly mad and not only a singer but a suberb writer with an infectious enthusiasm whether he's writing about Krautrock, stone circles or his own autobiography or anything else much for that matter.

Bigsul

Nov 2, 2009
Julian Cope by a country mile. Capable of the catchiest pure pop classics and 45 minute psychedelic drones. Superb writer and always, always interesting. Have a look at www.headheritage.co.uk for revolutionary musings and music reviews. And read HEAD ON, tis wonderful.

Whilst Julian can be a bit of a knob at times, Mac is almost always a knob. Obnoxious, boastful and still living off the back of the undoubtedly brilliant Echo and The Bunnymen catalogue. Not much else.

Wylie is amusing.

Trufflehound

Re-enfranchised
Aug 5, 2003
The democratic and free EU
Wylie without a doubt. Had this discussion with a mate quite recently.

I loved all three in the day, but the Teardrops and the Bunnymen rarely get a run out the stereo these days.

Not so Wah! in its various forms.

Come Back still gives me goosebumps whenever I hear it.

And Better Scream has pretty much never been bettered and has lost none of its edge over a third of a century later. Probably the first name on the teamsheet for my Desert Island Discs playlist. That and The Chameleon's Don't Fall, but hey! you weren't asking about Mark Burgess...

tinycowboy

Aug 9, 2008
Canterbury
I don't have strong feelings, so I'm going by my record collection: 1 Wah single, 3 Teardrop Explodes singles, 3 Echo and the Bunnymen albums. Mac wins.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
Going for Cope on this one. Basing it on his solo albums as much as Teardrop Explodes. Bouncing Babies is a brilliant song and albums Fried and Peggy Suicide are good too. Got a soft spot for Wah- also known as The Mighty Wah, Shambeko say Wah amongst others.

Flex Your Head

Wylie without a doubt. Had this discussion with a mate quite recently.

I loved all three in the day, but the Teardrops and the Bunnymen rarely get a run out the stereo these days.

Not so Wah! in its various forms.

Come Back still gives me goosebumps whenever I hear it.

And Better Scream has pretty much never been bettered and has lost none of its edge over a third of a century later. Probably the first name on the teamsheet for my Desert Island Discs playlist. That and The Chameleon's Don't Fall, but hey! you weren't asking about Mark Burgess...

Absolutely this. Better Scream and 7 Minutes To Midnight are just fantastic, and I think Pete Wylie always had more 'edge'... whatever that is.
Julian Cope had some great stuff and is always entertaining; Echo & The Bunnymen had some fantastic singles but were one of the dullest bands I ever saw.

Plus, if Ms Minogue had married Pete, she'd be Kylie Wylie.

Now, did someone mention The Chameleons?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
I loved them all.

But for a while now I just haven't been able to shift 'The Story of the Blues' from my head - it haunts me with its beauty and brilliance.

So Wylie.

Kumquat

Mar 2, 2009
Bill Drummond for me. But of the three you mention, Cope unquestionably. He was a real outsider in Liverpool (think he was fron shropshire or somewhere) but a real character. The Nicklas Bendtner of music.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
McCulloch by some distance out of those three.

Last edited:

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Crocodiles. That is all.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports