Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

FA Cup Gurnsey v Dover

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
That would account for the fans with dafc football shirts at Brighton station this morning. Has been baffling me all day as to who they were and where they were going

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
Worked this game at Lancing this afternoon you could tell the difference in leagues,Gurnsey were shattered at the end,a good crowd turned up
including a few Albion fans.FT Gurnsey 2 Dover 3 :drink:

Why was the game played in Lancing ? Do Guernsey not play home games on the island?

The Merry Prankster

Pactum serva
Aug 19, 2006
Shoreham Beach
Why was the game played in Lancing ? Do Guernsey not play home games on the island?

Yes they do. It costs them £5 000 a game (£7000 midweek) to fly the opposition over and a similar amount each away game to come here. They get crowds of over 1000 at Footes Lane their home ground. They also have their own internet tv channel that shows all their games live. Some pubs carry the feed as well. Another anomaly is that they don't have to pay their players as their is no one else that they can play for (the downside of that is that they will hit a ceiling when they reach the limit of the home grown talents ability).

They had to play this one at Lancing because as they ground share they wouldn't have been able to kick off until 3.00 instead of 1.00 as stipulated by the FA. This gave Dover the right to demand the game was moved although they could have agreed to the time change. Pretty bad show by Dover as it would have been the first FA cup game in Guernsey ever and the island was on fire for it. A lot of very disappointed people.

BobbySmith

Oct 25, 2004
Worthing
I was at the game as I work in Guernsey and one of mates sons plays, so went along, It was a good game, Dover were bigger, fitter, but not much better, but just about deserved it . Guernsey were a bit upset as they felt they could have got. 4/5000 for a home tie in the Fa cup. They are a very well run club, who play only locals and I was impressed by the level of support from them. Some Dover fans were a load of loud mouth low life's who were abusing GFC fans for being 'posh' and 'effing foreigners'. Mitch Walker was in goal for Dover, remember him ?

Some Dover fans were a load of loud mouth low life's who were abusing GFC fans for being 'posh' and 'effing foreigners'.

think it's a Kent thing, Peacehaven had some bother away at Faversham including racist and homophobic abuse, Hearn Bay on Saturday included one of their number that spent the entire match verbally abusing his own players and a manager whose only two words of encouragement screamed to his players was fu#k and fu#kin. We've got Guernsey away next month, day trip £75, can't wait:drink:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here