Charlton train chaos Boxing day

joker

BHA Blues Away
Aug 2, 2010
Eastbourne
Apologies if I've doubled up but just thought you all might like to know
I got this from the police today

A problem we know to well!
South eastern have today confirmed there will be no trains running on their lines on boxing day. Therefore Charlton station will not be open.
Southern railway inform me that there will be a train service between Brighton and Three Bridges then a bus replacement service to East Grinstead (via Gatwick) where a train service will run to London Bridge. In reality fans could then get a tube to North Greenwich and walk !
This is for your information to pass to your respective members. e running a coach

Blues away will of course be running a coach/coaches

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
But I thought it was only the Albion that prevented fans from attending home matches on Boxing Day.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I would think an awful lot of fans will be driving up for this one.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Trouble with driving is the possibility of having had a skinful the day before.

fataddick

Feb 6, 2004
The seaside.
How is this train chaos? There have NEVER been trains on the Charlton line on Boxing Day, certainly not in the last 20 years. The same is the case for 99% of destinations in the UK on Boxing Day. Brighton is pretty lucky in that it's pretty much the only place with a train service on Dec 26th. OK, the closure of half the mainline this year doesn't help, but you can still get from Brighton station to The Valley in about 2.5 hours (there will be a fair few buses from North Greenwich tube, which is a 8-10 minute journey to the ground). If I was in Brighton that day I'd go, but I'm always at relatives in Woking on Boxing Day and the only way to get to Charlton from there is to WALK 18 MILES TO RICHMOND and then get a tube. I've done it once, it took 7-8 hours (in total) each way. Please appreciate what a piece of piss getting there from Brighton is by comparison.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
How is this train chaos? There have NEVER been trains on the Charlton line on Boxing Day, certainly not in the last 20 years. The same is the case for 99% of destinations in the UK on Boxing Day. Brighton is pretty lucky in that it's pretty much the only place with a train service on Dec 26th. OK, the closure of half the mainline this year doesn't help, but you can still get from Brighton station to The Valley in about 2.5 hours (there will be a fair few buses from North Greenwich tube, which is a 8-10 minute journey to the ground). If I was in Brighton that day I'd go, but I'm always at relatives in Woking on Boxing Day and the only way to get to Charlton from there is to WALK 18 MILES TO RICHMOND and then get a tube. I've done it once, it took 7-8 hours (in total) each way. Please appreciate what a piece of piss getting there from Brighton is by comparison.

You forgot to mention its a great way to work off the Xmas lunch...perhaps play charades on the way?

inland seagull

Aug 7, 2010
Northampton
This. Has anyone explained the early kickoff yet because I'm still pissed off with it. Presumably they just want to encourage drink driving?

Some London clubs always appear to favour early kick offs on Bank Holidays, not sure if this is a police request or something that that has just transpired over the years

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;5959314 said:
Where are we supposed to park in that case? ??? BARBER OUT! :rant:

There's street parking around there, especially nearer the river.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
When I saw the fixture list, it never entered my mind that I could get a train. I thought the whole network shut down on Boxing Day, with the exception of a few Gatwick Express or something. Hopefully there's an extra 1,000 places to park.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
Does anyone EVER expect to get to a Boxing Day game by train?

When I saw the fixture list, it never entered my mind that I could get a train. I thought the whole network shut down on Boxing Day, with the exception of a few Gatwick Express or something. Hopefully there's an extra 1,000 places to park.

Plenty on here were furious when the club didn't lay on transport for the Boxing Day game last season.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Just to check - as the online timetable doesn't go up to 26 December as yet - this means that the hourly service on the main line won't be happening this year?

HawkTheSeagull

Jan 31, 2012
Eastbourne
Just to check - as the online timetable doesn't go up to 26 December as yet - this means that the hourly service on the main line won't be happening this year?

Hourly service between roughly 7AM and 8PM between Brighton and Three Bridges calling at Haywards Heath ONLY - replacement bus to East Grinstead where additional fast services will run to/from London Bridge - to get to Charlton you get the Jubilee Line to North Greenwich (depending if the drivers take the 5th Boxing Day strike in a row) then a local bus from there.

Trains are ALWAYS difficult on Boxing Day, why does anyone think otherwise ? Its also the best time of year to do major work to the lines.

MissGull

Apr 1, 2013
Other than going to the football, I can't think of any reason many people would need the train on Boxing Day?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Other than going to the football, I can't think of any reason many people would need the train on Boxing Day?

Loads of people work on Boxing Day; this is one reason.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here